DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Couple of Questions from a Newb

tpb857

Reactions
I just bought a Mavic Air a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to Aruba next weekend, where it is very windy. Is the Mavic Air too small to handle a lot of wind. I hope not, as I would like to take it with me. Also, when you fly do you disable your data and/or your Bluetooth on your phone. Thanks in advance for the help.

I just bought a Mavic Air a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to Aruba next weekend, where it is very windy. Is the Mavic Air too small to handle a lot of wind. I hope not, as I would like to take it with me. Also, when you fly do you disable your data and/or your Bluetooth on your phone. Thanks in advance for the help.

The Mavic Air Manual shows the MAX Wind Speed Resistance is 22 MPH (10m/) see page 53.

The iOS app WindAlert shows the wind forecast in Aruba for the next several days being above 23mph. Flyer beware. I do not have an Air and I fly with an iPad, but do not turn anything off. Others will have to answer that questions.

Do not fly if it is very windy. You an buy a $10 wind meter on Amazon if you are not confident in your ability to judge what you should and should not be flying in. Also keep in mind that what you are experiencing on the ground is nothing like it might be 50-100 feet in the air - always assume the wind is MUCH stronger above you, because it probably is.

Near the ocean where it can often be very windy, you need to be really careful. Morning/evening flights are probably your best bet if you are in a windy area. My general advice is if you even think it might be too windy, don't fly.

I travel to Hawaii a lot and I am often frustrated by the wind coming off the ocean - it's just how it is in those areas of the world.

Recently visited Punta Cana in DR flew my Mavic Air almost daily. Limited my flying to early mornings, winds were usually at their lowest. You can access weather and winds for your location by downloading the UAV Forecast app. Gives you the ever important winds aloft graduated in levels you will be flying. The magic air is an excellent vehicle and you can fly in strong wind but use common sense.
Start flights into the wind allowing favorable winds to bring you home without worry.Screenshot_20190120-105240_UAV%20Forecast.jpegScreenshot_20190120-105257_UAV%20Forecast.jpeg

Reactions: ABHIII and Cptrman
As @Texasaerobatic suggested the UAV Forecast app is a good tool to use. It may not be perfect but a heck of a lot better than your calibrated eyeball and gut feel. Lift off and start to fly into the wind, see how much throttle you are using. Remember, the higher you go, the more likely to encounter higher winds. IF you can't make headway, drop down to a lower lever. Remember sport mode uses a lot more battery than P-mode
Be extra vigilant about flying over people.

I live by the shore and as stated above, the wind is generally most suitable to flying first thing in the morning and in the evening. Try to get out then. Don't get overconfident and push it. Better to stay conservative and cautious (not to be confused with scared) then to fly and lose it.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
i flew mine this week in costa maya and cozumel. both times uav forecast had wind going at 24 mph gust. the drone was fine. A couple of things i did was
A. Not fly it over 175 ft. you really don't need to for 90% of the shots. Once you get her up 30-40 ft i let her hove and see how she's doing holding course. Don't fly with downwind if the wind is in the 20's. The last thing you need is the drone flying into the wind and can't generate enough power to come home.
B.If possible fly a couple of blocks away from the water. i notice when i do the the buildings can help buffer the wind and helps me get my bearings straight.

I've been to aruba. North side is crazy windy. The light tower is a nice pic but to be honest, i would fly my mavic pro there and not my mavic air. the mavic air is an awesome drone to have if you want something light that i can take anywhere with me that also has cool smartshots.

the mavic pro is old faithful. much heavier, full metal, nicer controls but for most 90% of my videos my Air does really well.

Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett