DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A farmstead with reminescences

darvirz

Reactions
This video was intended to be a simple flying exercise for the late afternoon. However, after I returned home and watched the footage, I realized that I have to do something with it. Then I decided to forget this. But I couldn't. Simply couldn't do anything else until edited the footage. So, from the ordinary drone video, it converted to a short documentary. Still don't know, how weak it is. But it crawled its way partly against me, and now has to be shared with the community. Of course, I need some supporting comments, since this is one of my first drone videos. But the honest criticism is even more required because otherwise, I will continue with something similar...

Reactions: Dreamflyer
This video was intended to be a simple flying exercise for the late afternoon. However, after I returned home and watched the footage, I realized that I have to do something with it. Then I decided to forget this. But I couldn't. Simply couldn't do anything else until edited the footage. So, from the ordinary drone video, it converted to a short documentary. Still don't know, how weak it is. But it crawled its way partly against me, and now has to be shared with the community. Of course, I need some supporting comments, since this is one of my first drone videos. But the honest criticism is even more required because otherwise, I will continue with something similar...

A few suggestions.

1. Music is subjective but I found your music very sad, as if it portrayed a tragedy. However your story is very positive. So the music clashes. So much so that I was actively waiting for the “tragic” part of the story to be revealed.

2. The videography is ok, but it was taken on a gloomy/overcast day. The resulting gloomy footage reinforced my belief that the story being told was a tragedy. If you want to tell a happy story, it’s best to film on a sunny day.

3. Documentaries usually have voice-overs, not purely writing on the screen. Have you considered removing some the writing and instead verbally telling the story? Especially the large quote at 2mins 30sec, you could remove the writing and use a female voiceover here, as if “The Bee” was talking.

Terry

Reactions: darvirz
Thanks, Terry. I accept all your critical remarks and I'm very grateful that you have commented. Actually, some melancholy was my intention, but I do not want the viewers to feel depressed. I'm not sure if this is a happy story, but yes, it is positive in general. I will consider my capabilities to re-edit this video with the voice-over. After all, I'm just exercising and using the opportunity to ask for feedback from this forum. So, thanks again for this! :)

Darius

Thanks, Terry. I accept all your critical remarks and I'm very grateful that you have commented. Actually, some melancholy was my intention, but I do not want the viewers to feel depressed. I'm not sure if this is a happy story, but yes, it is positive in general. I will consider my capabilities to re-edit this video with the voice-over. After all, I'm just exercising and using the opportunity to ask for feedback from this forum. So, thanks again for this! :)

Darius
You’re welcome.

Hats off to you too, for creating a documentary type video. It was a very creative idea and more advanced than most drone videos that I see.

If you’re interested in getting a few more YouTube views for your video, you may wish to post the YouTube link to a couple of relevant Facebook Groups (eg a Facebook group which covers the history of that area). Elderly people often create/join small Facebook Groups where this type of video would be well received and shared ... you just need to search Facebook and find the right group(s).

I agree on the music, a little too sad. Something just a little more "positive" would be better. Also, yes doing some of the CG as narration would be more documentary-like. I'd have like to see more of some of the historic photos. Toward the middle, the word became is spelled wrong: "bacame", unless it's that way where you live. But over all, nice video.

Excellent job and a fine tribute. I think the music is appropriate. It adds gravity. The only suggestion I would have is the ending video was fairly dark.

Thanks again for supporting comments. Already hired my daughter to read the ending quote :). Appreciate the spelling correction. My bad :). Also, Terry's Facebook suggestion is worth considering. However, learning to produce the content, which is at least not depressing, is my primary goal. So, probably after some time, I will release an improved version of this video.

Thanks again for supporting comments. Already hired my daughter to read the ending quote :). Appreciate the spelling correction. My bad :). Also, Terry's Facebook suggestion is worth considering. However, learning to produce the content, which is at least not depressing, is my primary goal. So, probably after some time, I will release an improved version of this video.
Hopefully your daughter isn’t charging you too much. ?

• Haha
perhaps there is a story to support the picture of Bee with all those men, she is the lone woman in that shot? I wanted an explanation when I saw it. I can see you've already got many hours in this project, well done!

perhaps there is a story to support the picture of Bee with all those men, she is the lone woman in that shot? I wanted an explanation when I saw it. I can see you've already got many hours in this project, well done!
Yes, absolutely there is a story :) Thanks for noting it. I will return to Bee’s video after a while with some improvements.

I loved it, being a fan of local history.

It's lovely to have really nice late afternoon sun slanting through the trees, but that's not always something we have the luxury of, and doesn't distract from the story.

What you have produced is so much more than what you intended, which was to fly the drone around an old house for some practice. In fact, a movie - no matter how well produced - taken from a drone flying round an old house is just that. Good footage, well edited but just a random house. I personally loved the story telling, and appreciate the fact that despite there being a LOT of story to tell, you have kept the details short, which holds people's interest well.

Plus the historical photo's really bring the story to life. I'm a big fan of including other materials such as photo's or land based footage in projects.

So keep on doing what you are doing!

One slight criticism if I may. I don't find titles that scroll horizontally easy to read. They always seems to judder, and because you have already used vertically scrolling text, it sort of jars with that. But that's absolutely minor!

The other very minor point I'd make is that although I can see your location is Lithuania, I don't recall seeing this mentioned in the film. I'm not suggesting a map with a big arrow on it, but mention the location in the text early on. Especially as your audience may well be worldwide.

You’re welcome.

Hats off to you too, for creating a documentary type video. It was a very creative idea and more advanced than most drone videos that I see.

If you’re interested in getting a few more YouTube views for your video, you may wish to post the YouTube link to a couple of relevant Facebook Groups (eg a Facebook group which covers the history of that area). Elderly people often create/join small Facebook Groups where this type of video would be well received and shared ... you just need to search Facebook and find the right group(s).
I agree totally with this point. I recently did a documentary style video about an old road which was mostly filmed from an action cam on my bike, and drone footage. I posted it to the local history group on facebook and had some 6500 views in a couple of days. So finding the right groups to post to can be very effective. It jogs people's memories, and hearing what they say can be very interesting! Plus they tend to dig out their old photo's and are happy for you to use them.

I loved it, being a fan of local history.

It's lovely to have really nice late afternoon sun slanting through the trees, but that's not always something we have the luxury of, and doesn't distract from the story.

What you have produced is so much more than what you intended, which was to fly the drone around an old house for some practice. In fact, a movie - no matter how well produced - taken from a drone flying round an old house is just that. Good footage, well edited but just a random house. I personally loved the story telling, and appreciate the fact that despite there being a LOT of story to tell, you have kept the details short, which holds people's interest well.

Plus the historical photo's really bring the story to life. I'm a big fan of including other materials such as photo's or land based footage in projects.

So keep on doing what you are doing!

One slight criticism if I may. I don't find titles that scroll horizontally easy to read. They always seems to judder, and because you have already used vertically scrolling text, it sort of jars with that. But that's absolutely minor!

The other very minor point I'd make is that although I can see your location is Lithuania, I don't recall seeing this mentioned in the film. I'm not suggesting a map with a big arrow on it, but mention the location in the text early on. Especially as your audience may well be worldwide.
Thanks for the feedback, the compliments, and encouragement! I'm in the process of learning, and it is great to know you have enjoyed it. So did I, during the process. I'm going to post the voice-over version of this video soon.

Reactions: Greekislandlover
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803