DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

a few questions about the Mavic Mini

tino.v

Reactions
I've read already many threads and keep learning all the time about my little toy.

However, I still have a few questions

- can the Mini fly as quick forwards as backwards, left or right ? In other words, suppose I want to fly home as quick as possible, do I need to point the camera towards me ?
- suppose I did lose connection and the Mini is in RTH mode and AC if facing me. I know that Mini is using P-mode speed to return to home, but can I push the right-stick forward and speed up flying or do I have to cancel RTH, put it in S-mode and fly it myself ?
-I've read about ESC module. What is that ?

Thank you for your time and kind regards,

Tino

- can the Mini fly as quick forwards as backwards, left or right ? In other words, suppose I want to fly home as quick as possible, do I need to point the camera towards me ?

I haven't done a proper test, but anecdotally it does seem to be a bit quicker forwards. I doubt it's significant enough to bother orienting it though, as that would probably take more time than the speed loss.

- suppose I did lose connection and the Mini is in RTH mode and AC if facing me. I know that Mini is using P-mode speed to return to home, but can I push the right-stick forward and speed up flying or do I have to cancel RTH, put it in S-mode and fly it myself ?
In RTH mode the drone is not under your control at all, so if you need to change what it is doing, you'll need to cancel RTH. Don't forget that if you engage RTH ithin 20m, the MM will just land where it is.

I think ESC is a warning that shows up in the logs if the motor is struggling at full power for very long. Typically happens when the MM is fighting wind

Note sure if there is a difference between flying forward and backward but flying sideway is definitely not advised because the frontal area facing the wind is larger hence the motors have to fight against more drag

When the drone is in RTH mode, it will still respond to control inputs. You can slow it down by applying backward elevator input but I am not sure if you can make it go forward faster

Electronic Speed Control. It's a module that takes command from the on-board flight controller and apply appropriate current waves to the motors to achieve the wanted revolution speed.

And do not forget to count the windspeed. Downwind it's much faster, no matter if you're flying forward or backward :)

If you fly backwards, you can’t see where you are going. VLOS can sometimes be misleading. A friend flew into a tree that way and destroyed his drone. It wasn’t a MM.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
I haven't done a proper test, but anecdotally it does seem to be a bit quicker forwards. I doubt it's significant enough to bother orienting it though, as that would probably take more time than the speed loss.

In RTH mode the drone is not under your control at all, so if you need to change what it is doing, you'll need to cancel RTH. Don't forget that if you engage RTH ithin 20m, the MM will just land where it is.

I think ESC is a warning that shows up in the logs if the motor is struggling at full power for very long. Typically happens when the MM is fighting wind

You do have a good deal of control when in RTH mode. You can change the speed, orientation, and elevation. Only thing you can't change is direction.

When using RTH the Mini starts returning at 18-19 mph (P speed). However if you selected S speed before this you can accelerate right up to the S limit. You can also control elevation and orientation.

i agree with you except for the speed, that is the rth speed and has nothing to do with the sport mode or cinematic mode, you can't change the speed of rth

Reactions: netsonic
When using RTH the Mini starts returning at 18-19 mph (P speed). However if you selected S speed before this you can accelerate right up to the S limit. You can also control elevation and orientation.
I'm sorry but it does not work this way. Once RTH is initiated it will revert from Sport to P and this is the speed it works with.
As proof I'll share with you the log from this thread REALLY NEED HELP!! Mavic Mini falls from sky into the water! LOG READER NEEDED!

Screenshot below
1580410622064.png

At D it went into Sport mode and at E it changed to RTH, imediately the "Not enough Force" warnings appeared as it was struggling in the wind.
Then.. N chnaged back to Sport and later at O again in RTH and the warnings appeared again.

It's either RTH or cancel and change into Sport to bring it in faster. You are right on control for orientation and elevation as we have seen this in the youtube videos.

Reactions: WooZie and Thomas B
This is incorrect. You can not change anything while the ac is in rth mode. There only way to manually change anything, would require an rth cancellation first.

This is incorrect. You can not change anything while the ac is in rth mode. There only way to manually change anything, would require an rth cancellation first.
and you too :)) are wrong , in rth can change elevation and orientation of drone, but not the speed

I'm sorry but it does not work this way. Once RTH is initiated it will revert from Sport to P and this is the speed it works with.
As proof I'll share with you the log from this thread REALLY NEED HELP!! Mavic Mini falls from sky into the water! LOG READER NEEDED!

Screenshot below
View attachment 92620

At D it went into Sport mode and at E it changed to RTH, imediately the "Not enough Force" warnings appeared as it was struggling in the wind.
Then.. N chnaged back to Sport and later at O again in RTH and the warnings appeared again.

It's either RTH or cancel and change into Sport to bring it in faster. You are right on control for orientation and elevation as we have seen this in the youtube videos.

If you are flying in S mode and hit RTH drone will return home at the P mode speed, but if you push the stick all forward it will accelerate and you will be flying faster. I use RTH for nice steady rail shoots, I'm not sure what logs are showing, but the drone will go faster and match 46km/h speed of S mode.
Doing the same in P mode drone will only hit 28km/h, I have tried that 50 times if not more.

Reactions: netsonic and WooZie
and you too :)) are wrong , in rth can change elevation and orientation of drone, but not the speed
Did not know that. I've had an incident of the infamous unprecedented descent while in rth and wasn't able to get back up, until i cancelled rth. So altitude change during rth sounds improbable. But you seem confident. So I'll try it the next time i fly.

Reactions: WooZie
you maybe had a problem, but it works every time to control the height and the orientation, neither direction nor speed

Reactions: netsonic
Did not know that. I've had an incident of the infamous unprecedented descent while in rth and wasn't able to get back up, until i cancelled rth. So altitude change during rth sounds improbable. But you seem confident. So I'll try it the next time i fly.

you can yaw, move gimbal and change elevation, you can't change modes and direction. changing modes will cancel RTH.

Reactions: atsphenomenon
I also did push my MM past P speed in RTH... I think you need to be in S before the RTH is initiated, and you can also yaw freely (orientation), the drone will keep coming home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143