DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Fly app message I hadn't seen before. Why???

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I think I understand what [please correct me if I'm mistaken]. I just don't understand why!

I was doing a "verification video" for DJI as I didn't sign my Mini 2 up upon purchase. As I played back the verfication recording, I noticed a message where it usually says GPS mode, or Atti mode. This one said "ALTITUDE ZONE". I don't remember every seeing it. I googled what it was and said it's a warning area near "high risk" airports. I live near Chicago O'Hare, but not that close; 7.4 miles (12km). As noted in DJI's illustration below, their geo zone only extends 8.4km or 5.2 miles. Also interesting is that in the secondary zone altitude is limited to150m/490 ft, almost 100 feet higher than I'd be allowed to fly normally anyway.

Why suddenly would I have an Altitude Zone warning so far from the airport???? A little too aggressive on DJI's part? Me thinks yes.

1614025303646.png

Did you try a second flight to see it is a repeatable new thing?
Not yet. But not a bad idea. My Mini 2 had come back from the shop last week having needed what turned out to be a mercifully inexpensive repair. Though insured with State Farm I think that coverage needs to be reserved for catastrophic losses as I learned they cancel after on claim. So I was doing a verification video for Care/Refresh.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes... It still does it. See photo below.

1614035278950.png

I think it is intended to warn you about controlled airspace above you. It seems to show when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and neither Airmap nor sectional charts show anything nearby.

I think I understand what [please correct me if I'm mistaken]. I just don't understand why!

I was doing a "verification video" for DJI as I didn't sign my Mini 2 up upon purchase. As I played back the verfication recording, I noticed a message where it usually says GPS mode, or Atti mode. This one said "ALTITUDE ZONE". I don't remember every seeing it. I googled what it was and said it's a warning area near "high risk" airports. I live near Chicago O'Hare, but not that close; 7.4 miles (12km). As noted in DJI's illustration below, their geo zone only extends 8.4km or 5.2 miles. Also interesting is that in the secondary zone altitude is limited to150m/490 ft, almost 100 feet higher than I'd be allowed to fly normally anyway.

Why suddenly would I have an Altitude Zone warning so far from the airport???? A little too aggressive on DJI's part? Me thinks yes.

View attachment 124376
You say that you live only 7.4 miles from the airport. Along the extended lines of the runway, the altitude zone exists out to 15km or 8.7 miles. Well past your location.

You say that you live only 7.4 miles from the airport. Along the extended lines of the runway, the altitude zone exists out to 15km or 8.7 miles. Well past your location.
I could be wrong, but the illustration above says the DJI runway extensions are 150 METERS of 8.4 Kilometers or 5.2 miles. I think I can read an airmap[ see below]. And while I might be mistaken, I think it's safe to say I'm clearly in Class G space. So why the need for a warning of any kind? I think flying at 400 ft AGL is pretty safe at this distance from O'Hare without any need for further "assistance".

1614125424784.png

The illustration says that from the end of the runway it is 3km to the end of the restricted zone. Then it is 3.6km additional for the 60m altitude zone. Finally, it is another 8.4km to the end of the 150m altitude zone. So...from the end of the runway it is 15km (or 8.7 miles) until there is not an altitude zone above you. This doesn't change the fact that you are in Class G airspace. 150m = 492 ft so the overlying altitude restriction is unlikely to effect you anyway. I assume that they are warning you in case you are flying part 107 and attempt to go above a 200 ft structure or something. I also believe you'd have to go up 1200 ft or so to enter the Class B airspace.

I know squat about the altitude zones. I do not believe that they have anything to do with FAA airspace but maybe they do. If you look on the map in UAV forecast app, you will see it right over you if you are near Memorial Park Cemetery. It is coming from Chicago Executive rather than O'hare.

The illustration says that from the end of the runway it is 3km to the end of the restricted zone. Then it is 3.6km additional for the 60m altitude zone. Finally, it is another 8.4km to the end of the 150m altitude zone. So...from the end of the runway it is 15km (or 8.7 miles) until there is not an altitude zone above you. This doesn't change the fact that you are in Class G airspace. 150m = 492 ft so the overlying altitude restriction is unlikely to effect you anyway. I assume that they are warning you in case you are flying part 107 and attempt to go above a 200 ft structure or something. I also believe you'd have to go up 1200 ft or so to enter the Class B airspace.

I know squat about the altitude zones. I do not believe that they have anything to do with FAA airspace but maybe they do. If you look on the map in UAV forecast app, you will see it right over you if you are near Memorial Park Cemetery. It is coming from Chicago Executive rather than O'hare.

Maybe it's me, but much of this is unnecessary inteference. The Altitude Zone warning takes out the GPS mode indicator which I need more to confirm that I haven't inadvertantly switched into Atti mode.

And maybe I'm old fashioned, but "Chicago Executive Airport" used to be Palwaukee Airport (it sits at Palatine Rd and Milwaukee Rd) and the airport symbol is PWK. And I will always refer to SEARS Tower and (the new) COMISKY PARK and the HANCOCK building. Have noticed a trend to "rename" things? Destroys tradition and history IMO. I digress.

Speaking of Palwaukee, I've got a job in May that I have to do that is about 2 miles from the end of the Palwaukee runway. I've already applied for ATC clearance and got it before I would agree to take the job. Of course I know that I have to keep my altitude below 200' AGL as that's what I applied for. No problem getting official clearance. But I'm sure that I'll have to get DJI to unlock the zone, which is an extra step and should be unnecessary. Does Autel or Skydio or Yuneek or any other drone company have geofencing?

While I'm months off from the above job, I thought I should just go and apply for unlocking as I know I'm going to need it. Finished it moments ago. I found it terribly annoying that I had to power on both drones and controllers to locate the controller serials. I wasn't smart enough to take screen shots of them while they were on. Next time, I guess.

Last edited:
You have to realize that there are a lot of ignorant and irresponsible fliers out there.
Even with airports in G space, there's a potential risk and danger flying over runway approach airspace.

So DJI puts authorization and altitude zones along runway approach paths.

Having an altitude zone at 120m altitude which is around 400ft seems unnecessary, many do fly over that altitude just as even more fly way beyond VLOS.

As for altitude zone covering anything, if you end up in ATTI mode, that means no GPS, and so no detection of altitude zone, so you'll see you're in ATTI.
You shouldn't have to pay that close attention to the GPS signal level once you took off in good shape.

You have to realize that there are a lot of ignorant and irresponsible fliers out there.
Even with airports in G space, there's a potential risk and danger flying over runway approach airspace.

So DJI puts authorization and altitude zones along runway approach paths.

Having an altitude zone at 120m altitude which is around 400ft seems unnecessary, many do fly over that altitude just as even more fly way beyond VLOS.

As for altitude zone covering anything, if you end up in ATTI mode, that means no GPS, and so no detection of altitude zone, so you'll see you're in ATTI.
You shouldn't have to pay that close attention to the GPS signal level once you took off in good shape.
I realize that some dum dums are going to break the rules, either intentionally or ignorantly. But it would seem that they might create a separate global unlock for Part 107 pilots who know the rules, and don't want to risk losing their certificates. It doesn't surprise me that DJI, having a national and corporate culture that thrives on central control, wouldn't think of anything other than trying to maintain complete control.

I guess I prefer individual freedom, linked with respect, responsibility and accountability which extends beyond drone piloting. These days it seems that we have far too much of "It's DJI's (or name other here's) fault. I didn't know the drone was loaded".

Reactions: Tomk_
It doesn't surprise me that DJI, having a national and corporate culture that thrives on central control, wouldn't think of anything other than trying to maintain complete control.
DJI has a more than 70% share of the market with all other makes sharing the small lice of the pie that's left.
They sell 10 times as many as their nearest competitor.
That means they sell to 10x as many drones to beginners, idiots and responsible pilots too.
And a drone incident is 10x more likely to involve a DJI drone.
They are the market leader and want to protect their position.
Is it any surprise that the company is proactive in promoting safe flight?

And a drone incident is 10x more likely to involve a DJI drone.
And even if it didn't involve a DJI drone, the media can be counted on to always report any mere sighting of a plastic bag or balloon as yet another near-miss narrowly-avoided-catastrophe, with the article illustrated with a stock library photo of a DJI Phantom. :eek: