Join Us Now

A heads up for MM pilots, C & P mode flight speeds vs gimbal angle

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

It has recently "come to light" in here
Mini 2 has the pitch angle limited when the camera is pointing straight down
that, when the camera is pointing significantly downwards, the Mini 2 limits (reduces) the maximum tilt of the drone when the drone is in C and P flight modes. The drone's tilt equates to its air speed and as such this results in a significant reduction in the maximum airspeeds available in those flight modes.
This constraint is supposed to be over ridden in strong winds BUT, as per teeroy's posts in the above thread etc., it seems that the Mini 2 can be 'blown away' as a consequence of this constraint and possibly before any strong wind warnings are issued.

I was interested to see if this is 'new' behaviour is limited to the Mini 2 and or v1.2.... of the app. So yesterday I did a trial flight with my MM, App version 1.1.6, firmware 1.0.5. it was largely a windless day here.
In P mode, with the gimbal pointing down, my MM was limited to 4m/s or less. I did not think to try it in RTH. With the RH stick (mode 2) fully forward/backward I could vary my MM's speed from 8ish m/s to 4ish m/s using the gimbal dial.
The constraint is not active in S mode.

So..... if your MM is being blown away and you have the camera pointing down, move the camera upwards to closer to the horizontal and or switch to S mode. I wouldn't go above the horizontal, there appears to be some debate about whether there is a similar limitation if the camera is near the upper limit of its travel.

I realise "switch to S mode" is already part of the suggested procedure for a MM blow away but knowledge of the 'additional' speed limitations is new, to me at least, so I thought this warranted drawing peoples' attention to 'new' limitation.

My flights yesterday, up and down the garden, were too short to produce log charts worth posting and today was too windy to fly. But I will try to make a flight where a log chart will demonstrate this and also see if applies to RTH mode too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post and find...now to get the word out, because you know DJI isn't saying anything ;) Look forward to any further data.

I can't find any mention of the speed limiting feature in the mini user manual like there is in the mini 2 manual. In the mini 2 manual it is under flight modes. Might have been added in an update and just not in the manual.

So today I thought I will try this and at the same time 1.2.4. .
Oooooh attitude indicator, no 'signal loss' even as 'far' away as the far hedge (100m or so), yeaaaahhhhh. I couldn't get past 20m with out the warning when I tried 1.2.0
Ok gimbal vs speed testing.......hmmmm no noticeable reduction at 90deg gimbal tilt, how odd, let's try it in the opposite direction of travel, i.e. forwards vs backwards, HMMMMM no reduction in speed at 90deg........
How odd....maybe they fixed it. Oh well.

Comes back into the house and my mind goes "click", I had almost constant wind speed warnings (real ones) when up at 'speed run' height.

So maybe one part works lol.

Let's have a look at the log....... daRn they will be encrypted....sure enough CsvView can't open the DJIFlightRecord_2021-02-05..........txt but it can open the DAT.

1.2.4 is coming off

OK back on 1.1.9 and the App did not see any logs at all in profile etc.. Yet looking in FlightRecord via the PC I could see 50 or more. Tried various things and what logs were on the phone became visible in the App when the DJIFlightRecord_2022-02........txt logs recorded under 1.2.4 were removed.
The DAT's recorded under 1.2.4 do not seem to affect anything.

I'm still torn as to whether I should update or not. I'm still on 1.2.1

A bit of a test today, I wanted to burn off some battery charge and was waiting for someone to arrive so I thought "what the heck let's have a little flight". It was blustery so I did a quick whizz down the garden and then came back overhead and left it hovering.
I then thought about the gimbal thing so pointed the gimbal straight down. After a bit of a wait a 'gust' came through and it started moving backwards, I did not touch the elevator but started to move the gimbal up and almost immediately the backwards movement stopped and it regained ground until it was almost overhead again. I pointed the gimbal down again and, after a short wait, another gust came through and the same thing happened.
It's not conclusive proof by any means, it could have been that moving the gimbal up coincided with the gusts passing by, it was blustery, and, given where I was, I didn't want the drone being blown down wind by more than a few metres but .............

Attachments

• gimbal tilt vs distance in blustery wind.png
    gimbal tilt vs distance in blustery wind.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 12
Very helpful advice [emoji106]. I will also keep a eye on this as well. I also noticed that when the camera is facing down, it also had cut down my flight time by a minute or so.
Wasn’t much of a difference but was noticeable. Thank you so much for your advice and God bless

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots