DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A look at Mexican drone laws

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Most of us here are from the US, UK, EU and even Asia. But when I look at the drone laws from Mexico I want to go "yikes".
Tourists seem to be ok to fly Mavic Minis, now the Autel Nano FPV and toy drones, But anything heavier and it's a no-go! I've experienced Mexican law before when I lived there and getting a work visa was (Mod Removed Language)near impossible. Below are some notable drone laws in Mexico. Take note that if want to fly commercially in Mexico not only do you have to be a Mexican citizen, but a citizen BY BIRTH! I'm not aware of any other country that specifies NATURAL citizenship for anything (except if you want to be President of the United States).
  • All drones weighing over 250 grams (.55 pounds) must be registered with the DGCA. Registration requires an official ID proving Mexican citizenship, therefore prohibiting registration by foreign persons.A Learn more about registering your drone in Mexico here.

New Regulations for Commercial Drone Operations in Mexico​

Multiple Mexican publications have stated that commercial drone operators will be required to obtain a license in order to fly a drone in Mexico, and that these regulations will go into effect on Dec. 1, 2018. However, the DGCA has not yet shared information on how to obtain a license. We will update this page when the information becomes available. What we’ve gathered for now is that in order to obtain a drone license in Mexico you must:

• Be at least 18 years old
  • Be Mexican by birth
  • Provide your military release card
  • Have a high school diploma
  • Be in good health

Last edited by a moderator:
The Republic of Mexico has a plethora of protectionist law, primarily aimed at the USA. It’s hard to know all of it until it’s too late sometimes. Thanks for a heads up on the drone law sir. I think I’ll keep my props out of there, large or small.

I'm not aware of any other country that specifies NATURAL citizenship for anything (except if you want to be President of the United States).

Thankfully I opted out of that career long ago, who wants the pressure of being POTUS.

Mexico drone laws, yeah really complex and they seem so draconian compared to most other parts of the World.
It'd be nice (especially for US folk, as it's so close) if they can reconsider and align themselves more with other more reasonable legislation.

I think the easiest way for most to cope with Mexico, is invest in a Mini 2, they are pretty good for what they are, and all you need to do is be sensible and not fly around special touristy locations.

Reactions: Bandit1
As a former merchant mariner (chief engineer) I have traveled quite a bit and have seen most of the stuff outside of the USA that i want to see. I am happy to say that my passport has expired

• Love
Reactions: RMS001 and Starz
That is good info, and the timing was perfect. We were invited to a wedding in Cancun this coming June. I was thinking how cool it would be to bring a drone along and was going to look up what any restrictions would be. I think I will forgo the drone, they would probably confiscate it upon entering the country. Thanks!

The OP's statement that it's legal to fly a <250g SUAS recreationally in Mexico doesn't seem to be correct. Have look at the last few posts in this discussion thread. The conclusion there was that non-citizens are not allowed to fly drones at all regardless of weight without a waiver.

Just returned from Mexico and as usual I learned something new. I have taken a drone to Mexico for the past several years and have never had a problem going thru customs or a scanner even though I always declared the drone. This last time In Loreto B.C. I was charged 80 bucks US for my Mavic Air2. I offered to just leave it in the plane, but they wouldn't go for that. They said they would hold it and return it when I left the country...fat chance. The document I received is in Spanish and is good for a year. (Any multiple entrance paperwork good for a year in Mexico expires New Year's Eve at midnight and is not valid the following day and you are subject to all kinds of trouble for being in the country without the proper paperwork)
I showed the paperwork to the Commandante in San Felipe B.C. who is a great guy and a fellow DJI drone pilot, and he explained that the Pilot of an aircraft in Mexico doesn't have same baggage rights as the passengers?? who knew?? and it can apply to all sorts of items..camera's etc.
Moral of the story...if you're the pilot of the private or commercial aircraft don't claim ownership of anything but personal items...or better yet, stay the heck out of Loreto B.C.
I must add, I love Mexico. I've been traveling down there practically my entire life, I'm 83, and I'm not about to stop...especially now that my drone is legal until midnight Dec. 31st 1922! :)

The OP's statement that it's legal to fly a <250g SUAS recreationally in Mexico doesn't seem to be correct. Have look at the last few posts in this discussion thread. The conclusion there was that non-citizens are not allowed to fly drones at all regardless of weight without a waiver.
To my surprise it appears that the Mexican drone laws were updated on January 10, 2022 (a few days ago). One of the big surprises is that they changed the classifications with "MICRO UAV's" to be under 2kg. If I'm not mistaken, that means that we can consider bringing our larger Mavics if we wish to shlep them on our visits to Mexico.

Here is the link that I found for them (in English). I've copied/pasted the important ones to most of us.

Updated Mexican Drone laws

Are drones allowed in Mexico?​

According to AFAC ( Federal Civil Aviation Agency ), drones are allowed in Mexico, subject to AFAC regulations. Read on for details.

Here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Mexico:​

The Mexican Drone laws enumerate drones into three classes:

• Micro UAV: UAVs in this category weigh 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) or less. Micro UAVs can be flown without authorization from the AA, but if used for commercial activities they should have third party liability insurance, among other conditions. They can be flown up to 400 feet above ground level and no more than 1,500 feet from the operator within the visual line of sight.
Each weight class is regulated distinctly for recreational and commercial use only.

Operations are permitted only in daylight (unless a written exception is granted from the FAA), and in areas not classified as prohibited, restricted, or dangerous.

All UAVs must stay 9.2 kilometers (5.72 miles) away from controlled airports, 3.7 kilometers (2.3 miles) away from uncontrolled airfields, and 900 meters (985 yards) from helicopter pads.

The UAV pilot must always keep direct eye contact with the UAV (line of sight)

Only RPAS weighing less than 2 kg can be operated without requiring authorization from the AFAC, but if used for commercial activities they must have third-party damage insurance, among other conditions.

License for Commercial Drone Operators in Mexico​

Commercial drone operators are required to obtain a license in order to fly a drone in Mexico. In order to obtain a drone license in Mexico you must:

• Be at least 18 years old
  • Be Mexican by birth
  • Provide your military release card
  • Have a high school diploma
  • Be in good health

Foreign Operators​

Contact the AFAC for specific rules and regulations.

Anyone interested in the rest can read it in the provided link.

To my surprise it appears that the Mexican drone laws were updated on January 10, 2022 (a few days ago). One of the big surprises is that they changed the classifications with "MICRO UAV's" to be under 2kg. If I'm not mistaken, that means that we can consider bringing our larger Mavics if we wish to shlep them on our visits to Mexico.

Here is the link that I found for them (in English). I've copied/pasted the important ones to most of us.

Updated Mexican Drone laws

I wish it were that way, but ...

The micro category has always been less than 2 kg. No change.

The website you listed is not an official publication from the Mexican government. It's from dronelaws.com, an open-source project run by volunteers. There are lots of errors.

The January 10, 2022 update is an update to the dronelaws.com listing for Mexico, not to the Mexican Drone Laws. The last update to the Mexican drones laws occurred is dated November 14, 2019.

Have a look at the earlier discussion of the topic here:

Last edited:
Hello, I have the same problem looking for answers for micro drones (<250gr.) for Mexican country.
And i finally arrive to the procedure of registration, and the "K" form indicates in the beginning of the form:

"K1. The RPAS Operator must fill out the following form for each RPAS with a maximum take-off weight of more than 250 grams, in order to operate it in Mexican airspace. Before operating it, this information must be registered in the SCT/DGAC website. "

SO, it looks like the micro-drones (<250g) are allowed without regitration (but need to respect local laws) and those with a greater weight need registration.

Reactions: Paleomanjim
Hello, I have the same problem looking for answers for micro drones (<250gr.) for Mexican country.
And i finally arrive to the procedure of registration, and the "K" form indicates in the beginning of the form:

"K1. The RPAS Operator must fill out the following form for each RPAS with a maximum take-off weight of more than 250 grams, in order to operate it in Mexican airspace. Before operating it, this information must be registered in the SCT/DGAC website. "

SO, it looks like the micro-drones (<250g) are allowed without regitration (but need to respect local laws) and those with a greater weight need registration.
That is great information. My wife and I will be traveling to San Felipe and Baja for a week in mid March (camping) so looks like I should be able to bring my DJI Mini 2 without issue. I woud prefer to bring my DJI FPV drone but it is probably not worth the effort and risk of trying to register it. Thanks for sharing that information.

Well, found an interesting blog post :
UPDATED: Taking Your Drone To Mexico ? What To Know Before You Go

you can bring your drone, but because local laws depends on the local law applicant, it's like a lottery (or all is fine, or they mess with u to grab money)

i had requested info from the AFAC :

"hello, i come to visit your marvelous country next week as a tourist.
can i bring a micro drone (dji mini se) weight less than 250gr to take aerial view of the beaches?
do i need to register it to AFAC?
i've read rules about no fly over historical places and evident security limitations.
"

and they answered :

"in response to your email above, we inform you that as of today it is not allowed to fly a Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPAS) belonging to a foreign person in the Mexican Territory.

Currently, the Mexican Official Standard NOM-107-SCT3-2019, states in its numeral 4.10.16. the following:

"RPAS with foreign registration or registration or operated by foreign RPAS operators, other than those mentioned in numeral 4.10.15 of this Mexican Official Standard, may not operate in Mexico, unless there is a bilateral agreement between the Aeronautical Authority and the Civil Aviation Authority of the state of registration/registration."

The standard is applicable to RPAS with a weight equal or higher than 250 grams which you can consult in the following link: Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes: 404

Please review in detail the official Mexican standard that regulates the operation of RPAS in Mexico, as well as the limitations and prohibited places to fly."

I have requested more details because they say this regulation apply to RPAS >= 250 grams, but i ask for less than 250 grams.

It seems very complicated to get real and live information... :(

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :) :) :) last answer is " Si no es igual o superior a 250 puede operar, solamente revisar los lugares y zonas prohibidas en la Norma Oficial Mexicana. Saludos.! " = " If it is not equal or higher than 250 you can operate, just check the places and zones prohibited in the Mexican Official Standard. Greetings! "

I really want to believe that email response is correct, but the Mexican Official Standard NOM-107-SCT3-2019 doesn't seem to support it. And, unfortunately, the people who answer emails and phone calls for companies and government offices don't always have the right answer.

Section 4.9.1 says that recreational flight for drones less than 2 kg must comply with Sections 4.10, 4.11, and 5.1. There's no exemption for for drones weighing less than 250 grams.

The email suggests that the <250 gm exemption is explained in another document and provides a link. But that link is dead. (Note "404" in the title of the link. That's a standard error "(page not found" error code.)

"The standard is applicable to RPAS with a weight equal or higher than 250 grams which you can consult in the following link: Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes: 404"

@stphtlbt, you might want to write back and ask for a good link to the document explaining the 250 gram exemption. Thanks for all you're doing.

So you don't get your drone confiscated. Ship the drone to the closest post office in the area in which you will be staying. Because of the confusing weight issues, only ship a mavic mini or autel nano or some other less than 250gm drone you prefer. After you get there, pick it up at your leisure. If you have Mexican born friends, let them fly it. Or, just find a really good hiding place to fly and or fly in a very unpopulated area. Fly less than 10 minutes and pack your drone up and leave as quickly as possible. When your done visiting Mexico, ship your drone back to your home address.

Hello again ^^
They answered me :

By instruction of the Director of the Mexican Aeronautical Registry, we inform you that the new web page of the Federal Civil Aviation Agency is as follows: https://www.gob.mx/afac.

However, the section destined to this Directorate of the Mexican Aeronautical Registry is being redesigned, so you will soon be able to view the section corresponding to the Remotely Piloted Aircraft System -Remotely Piloted Aircraft System, we regret the inconvenience this has caused you.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, attached hereto are the documents that you should take into consideration to request your Registration Folio.

Head of Validation Department

In the docs :
- triptico 2022 : less than 2Kg = RPAS Micro
- nom107-sct3 : RPAS Micro = Chapter 5 ; for Recreation, in chapter 5.1.1a : it says
Obtain the registration folio of RPAS through the registration of the documents by which the ownership, possession and other real rights over remotely piloted civil aircraft with a maximum takeoff weight greater than 0.250 kg are acquired, transmitted, modified, encumbered or extinguished in the website of the SCT/DGAC; based on article 47 section VI of the Civil Aviation Law and 14 of the Mexican Aeronautical Registry Regulations. The RPAS registration folio must be obtained in accordance with numeral 15.3 of this Mexican Official Standard;

And in the Apendice (the registration form), the first line is :

K1. The RPAS Operator must fill out the following form, for each RPAS with a maximum take-off weight of more than 250 grams, to operate it in Mexican airspace. Before operating it, this information must be registered in the SCT/DGAC website.

This goes with all the messages I've received : the Micro drones with a maximum take-off weight is less than 250 grams, used for recreation are allowed without registration, even fly over people (chapt. 5.1.1.f, NOTE 1: If the maximum take-off weight of the RPA is less than or equal to 250 grams, the RPA can be operated on people.).
Just need to respect the local laws (chapt. 5.1.1 : no INAH, no near-airport...)

Attachments

• TRIPTICO - RPAS (Drones) 2022.pdf
    411.9 KB · Views: 20
  • NOM 107-SCT3-2019.pdf
    707.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Apendice K-RPAS- 2022.zip
    75.2 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: elsenor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics