DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A 'Must Have' for Mini travels

Capt KO

Reactions
I'm sure that many of you are already using these, but for those first-timers wanting to know how to charge and discharge away from home, here's an answer. Inexpensive, simple, two-in-one.

20200130_161220.jpg

Solar battery pack. The one I have is 16000Ah and will fully charge my three batteries or two batteries and the remote while in the dark. Double that in the Sun. Amazon has a 25000Ah for $25 that will keep your flying for a long time. Do not pay attention to mAh because you have to delete two zeros. 900000mAh becomes 9000Ah.

Now the second best part. It works just as good as a discharger. Switch the cable around and the battery pack becomes a discharger. Get to use the same power over and over. And it is convenient.

The battery pack charges at the same rate as a wall charger so there is no loss of time. But you must have a cord that will handle that amperage. The cables that came with the mini are fine for this, or other heavy duty Android charge cables. I hope this is helpful to some.

Bought my original one for hurricane season sometime before I flew drones. Going to grab a second one so I will never be without power. Free power to the people!

I'm sure that many of you are already using these, but for those first-timers wanting to know how to charge and discharge away from home, here's an answer. Inexpensive, simple, two-in-one.

View attachment 93005

Solar battery pack. The one I have is 16000Ah and will fully charge my three batteries or two batteries and the remote while in the dark. Double that in the Sun. Amazon has a 25000Ah for $25 that will keep your flying for a long time. Do not pay attention to mAh because you have to delete two zeros. 900000mAh becomes 9000Ah.

Now the second best part. It works just as good as a discharger. Switch the cable around and the battery pack becomes a discharger. Get to use the same power over and over. And it is convenient.

The battery pack charges at the same rate as a wall charger so there is no loss of time. But you must have a cord that will handle that amperage. The cables that came with the mini are fine for this, or other heavy duty Android charge cables. I hope this is helpful to some.

Bought my original one for hurricane season sometime before I flew drones. Going to grab a second one so I will never be without power. Free power to the people!

That's a really nice power pack....I find it ironic that my 10kmAh batteries weigh almost double the MM itself :) Cheers!!IMG_5862.JPG

I guess it would be good for all the USB charging drones?

Here's a short review of some of my China add-ons. Rate 0 - 5 *
Prop covers..........$6. ****
RC dust cover.......$8. ***
Strobe light...........$16. ***
Lanyard holder......$2. ***
Landing floats.......$12. *

The prop guards are well-built but have to be put on the right way or else. Almost gave it a one-star until I figured it out.
The dust cover is ok for me. Will keep out drizzle and debris from sticks.
Pleased with the strobe, using it on my Phantom also .
The cheap lanyard holder actually works. The holes are fairly small but it stays in place well.
The landing floats are dangerous! they block the downward flow of air from the props. There are motor overload warnings immediately upon liftoff. I have purchased some more inch and 1/2 tubing from Amazon to see if I can modify these floats to work. Worth a try.

20200203_172354~2.jpg20200203_174110.jpg20200203_175103.jpg20200201_205356.jpg20200203_172508.jpg

sea y'all ✋? gawn fishin'

The prop guards are well-built but have to be put on the right way or else. Almost gave it a one-star until I figured it out.
The cheap lanyard holder actually works. The holes are fairly small but it stays in place well.
The landing floats are dangerous! they block the downward flow of air from the props. There are motor overload warnings immediately upon liftoff. I have purchased some more inch and 1/2 tubing from Amazon to see if I can modify these floats to work. Worth a try.

View attachment 93016View attachment 93018View attachment 93019View attachment 93020View attachment 93021

Link for the strobe please?

The floats are fascinating... especially for sending the MM low on the water, ditch there and wait something interesting... a duck, a bird, a frog... whatever.

View attachment 93016View attachment 93018View attachment 93019View attachment 93020View attachment 93021

I have the same prop guards. How do you keep the one on top from falling off?

Turn it around. Then it will drop down onto the motors to lock-in place. It even locks the gimble guard in place once flipped. I had everything on backwards and they fell off.
My one on the bottom is fine but the one on top just sits on top it isn't secure at all.

My one on the bottom is fine but the one on top just sits on top it isn't secure at all.
Seriously mine was loose just like that until I turned it around. Seemed wrong but was right.

That looks like a really great case! That's a very interesting observation about the floats.....I've got a bait release device setup for my Mavic Air. The props' down draft can get the payload to start spinning around. Some people have used them to deliver wedding rings at weddings here :) probably a bit too heavy for a MM. Safe flying! Bait drop gadget

Reactions: Capt KO
That looks like a really great case! That's a very interesting observation about the floats.....I've got a bait release device setup for my Mavic Air. The props' down draft can get the payload to start spinning around. Some people have used them to deliver wedding rings at weddings here :) probably a bit too heavy for a MM. Safe flying! Bait drop gadget
I wouldn't try carrying 2 ounces with a Mini. If you hang your bait a little lower, at least three feet or more, it won't twist or swing nearly as bad. I've used as much as 10 ft under with a heavier weight bait. Have fun ?

Reactions: Saigondroner
Do you have a video of landing on water with MM, how come water has to be, to be able to land and take off from it? Did you weighted the floats, can you share how many g? I have a jetski and was wondering if I could send MM one way on the lake and then recover before some big fish eats it?:)
It weighs 37 grams. I floated it in a sink and it floats well. I did not try Landing it in water because it does not fly with the floats. In their current form, they block the down flow from the props so the motors are constantly overloaded. I'm waiting for some more tubing to arrive so I can find a way to make them work with a little redesign. Will let you know how it works. Good luck

It weighs 37 grams. I floated it in a sink and it floats well. I did not try Landing it in water because it does not fly with the floats. In their current form, they block the down flow from the props so the motors are constantly overloaded. I'm waiting for some more tubing to arrive so I can find a way to make them work with a little redesign. Will let you know how it works. Good luck

at 37g they will be overloaded no matter what. I did tests with 42g strobe light just for kicks and MM was switching automatically to Sport mode just to be able to hover. I guess we need to buy carbon fiber and make ultra-light floaties ourself :) it will probably fly in zero wind, but I would be scared to take it out a bit further.

I'm going to try to get it down around 20 grams to make it worthwhile. I just hope it will still float. I should know in a week, will stay in touch.

Hopefully DJI or somebody will come up with some improved props and stiffer front arms. That will be a better bird

Link to the one on amazon?? Can’t seem to find it. Thanks

View attachment 93005

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929