DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s A novel way to destroy your drone - drowning deep deep underground

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
In my infinite wisdom, I decided attaching lights to my drone and fly thru a 1.5 km tunnel would be a novel thing to do . All went well , except in the pitch darkness I failed to see or maybe ignored the torrents of water dripping from the ceiling, some of which must have been drawn into my Air 2 S via its ventilation ports along the flight . Now the drone has a ESC error and wont fly . I did a refresh of the firmware but no joy. Anyways the video isn't as good as i hoped . Despite two powerful lamps on the drone , they just weren't powerful enough to light up the tunnel sufficiently well. I'm going to repair the drone and scratch tunnel flying off as done for good. Move on to the next challenge.
I heard there's some good caves nearby. Anyway the video is here if interested.

Last edited:
I should think it would be very dicey indeed. You would be in Atti mode, I believe, and vision sensors would be all but useless. You are braver than I.

In my infinite wisdom, I decided attaching lights to my drone and fly thru a 1.5 km tunnel would be a novel thing to do . All went well , except in the pitch darkness I failed to see or maybe ignored the torrents of water dripping from the ceiling, some of which must have been drawn into my Air 2 S via its ventilation ports along the flight . Now the drone has a ESC error and wont fly . I did a refresh of the firmware but no joy. Anyways the video isn't as good as i hoped . Despite two powerful lamps on the drone , they just weren't powerful enough to light up the tunnel sufficiently well. I'm going to repair the drone and scratch tunnel flying off as done for good. Move on to the next challenge.

Yes we have noted several times after submerging the AIR 2s underwater that the ESC is the weakest module .

We offer a nice discount package on the Wet Suit for forum members so
keep that in mind as I feel as though you might be tempted to go back. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2S in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Last edited:
I agree you're braver than most. You may not want to completely wave off tunnels, but maybe do shorter ones and do a walk-thru B4 you fly-thru. Hope you get your A2S back in the sky soon.

I saw the first drops of water at 1:52 and they freaked me out just watching the video. You are brave!

Video may have been better had you adjusted your EV settings for inside the tunnel versus flying in bright light.

Flying in ATTI mode is not for faint of heart and you surely had to be, as no GPS signal in there.

Video may have been better had you adjusted your EV settings for inside the tunnel versus flying in bright light.

Flying in ATTI mode is not for faint of heart and you surely had to be, as no GPS signal in there.
I did , I had it up at +3 , once inside . Its just the nature of the tunnel , wet and mostly dark rock didn't light up well .I thought the bigger sensor of the Air 2s would have worked better though. It was brighter in real life than what came through on the video. I was of course in Atti mode , which I was prepared for. The major difficulty is that in there is a breeze going through the tunnel with eddie currents in places , especially around the ventilation shafts , that make straight flight impossible. Correcting for these in atti mode as you probably know is not easy .

your a better man than me but to be brutally honest that was never gonna end good and the vid isnt that good, respect for trying it though

You can get a waterproof jacket to protect your flying potatoe.

Reactions: Hunter_k
I don't think even the Wet Suit could have saved your drone as the ventilation ports are still exposed (and they should be regardless, ? ) @Phantomrain.org , the ventilation ports are partially occluded thanks to the Wet Suit, but in reality, how effective would it be in preventing the error that OP experienced?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I don't think even the Wet Suit could have saved your drone as the ventilation ports are still exposed (and they should be regardless, ? ) @Phantomrain.org , the ventilation ports are partially occluded thanks to the Wet Suit, but in reality, how effective would it be in preventing the error that OP experienced?
My Air 2S is like a flying dyson vacuum cleaner soon as you start it . If you were to cover the ventilation ports , behind which the ESC board lies , would it not also overheat the mainboard . If that not the case I would have wrapped it in cling film.

My Air 2S is like a flying dyson vacuum cleaner soon as you start it . If you were to cover the ventilation ports , behind which the ESC board lies , would it not also overheat the mainboard . If that not the case I would have wrapped it in cling film.
Lol

The fan inside the Drones are not strong enough nor in position to move a single drop or rain , other wise you would have all sorts of debris ,, just does not work like that. So that Vacuum has little to do with it .

Most likely that water just went directly into those vents because they had no protection and got to the ESC and possibly the Main Board , but lets hope its just the module.

As far as if you just covered the vents completely , that would cause the drone bottom plate to heat up more than it already does 117 F so you dont want to do that. .

The Wet Suit Covers the Vents with a 3mm Concave closing, think of it like we created a Cave to make the water harder to get into and changed the angle making it even harder even in a splash scenario...

Start the Video at 2:2o seconds

Splash Test

Last edited:

Nice video. I wouldn’t give up. Light wise ld consider velcro and a bunch of Scree lights or firehouse lights. Also maybe a wetsuit. It’s not super cheap but what you are doing is novel enough to get sponsored I would think. Just a thought.

I think I asked in another thread, but not sure if an answer was given . . .

You might walk through with the drone, almost right behind it, yeah ?
Unless the tunnel was dead straight and signal could be maintained ok, even then flying atti through tight spots like that with the wind current thing happening . . . only a matter of time.

But you are pretty open to some risk factor there, so all good, repair or replace.

If you decided to walk through behind the drone, you could light the tunnels yourself then, oh, and wear a rain jacket yourself !!

If you decided to walk through behind the drone, you could light the tunnels yourself then, oh, and wear a rain jacket yourself !!

I was thinking this is the only way I would try but I bet is actually way harder than it sounds! ATTI has never been fun for me.

Ahhh the “Tunnel Master” meets his match. You are a certainly brave to have attempted a tunnel of this distance! I would not have gone in more than a metre even without my drone. Maybe you could have worn a strongly lit head torch as you followed it. Even better then you could use a pocket 2 and capture vision of the drone flying ahead! Just a thought.

Reactions: projectarjun
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98