DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Pennsylvania homeowner has allegedly shot down a DJI Mavic 2 Pro

Jagerbomb52

Reactions
I'm sorry, Sir, this is not the military where shooting at practice drones is allowed. This was NOT a practice drone!!

I hate to see anything bad come to people, but they truly need to prosecute this guy to the letter of the law (including any Federal (FAA) violations. Maybe then, the public can get some education.

I know this should be considered a federal crime but so far no one has ever been charged under the federal law. I think one came close but I am not sure on that. I really think it comes down to these wishy washy judges not wanting to make a decision as then it will open up privacy laws and most of them don't want to go there.
Just the way I see it, might be way off. Maybe @Vic Moss can offer some insight as to why these types of crimes never make it to federal level.

Reactions: Stuguitar
I know this should be considered a federal crime but so far no one has ever been charged under the federal law. I think one came close but I am not sure on that. I really think it comes down to these wishy washy judges not wanting to make a decision as then it will open up privacy laws and most of them don't want to go there.

Federal judges better start handing down harsh sentences because I can't see mega-giant corporations like Amazon and Walmart tolerating Low IQ idiots shooting at their million-dollar autonomous drones delivering products and not being punished for it.

The crystal clear message that needs to get out is --- just because some flying machine is hovering or cruising over your "airspace", that gives you ZERO rights to shoot at it because you think it might be violating your privacy.

Just the way I see it, might be way off. Maybe @Vic Moss can offer some insight as to why these types of crimes never make it to federal level.
This would be a Civil Issue. The owner must then weigh the value of the drone against the cost of highering an attorney. Of course, it is possible to take thie to small claims court where no attornies are allowed.

This would be a Civil Issue. The owner must then weigh the value of the drone against the cost of highering an attorney. Of course, it is possible to take thie to small claims court where no attornies are allowed.
How do you figure shooting a airplane out of the sky is a Civil issue? The FAA classifies drones as Airplanes. Plain and simple. Last time I looked at the the law it was a federal law not to blast planes from the sky.
I'm I wrong here? Please enlighten me if I am.

Last edited:
Federal judges better start handing down harsh sentences because I can't see mega-giant corporations like Amazon and Walmart tolerating Low IQ idiots shooting at their million-dollar autonomous drones delivering products and not being punished for it.

The crystal clear message that needs to get out is --- just because some flying machine is hovering or cruising over your "airspace", that gives you ZERO rights to shoot at it because you think it might be violating your privacy.
Totally agree a federal charge is appropriate. But assistant US attorneys have much bigger fish to fry.

How to you figure shooting a airplane out of the sky is a Civil issue? The FAA classifies drones as Airplanes. Plain and simple. Last time I looked at the the law it was a federal law not to blast planes from the sky.
I'm I wrong here? Please enlighten me if I am.
Airplane infers a manned aircraft, more so than not!

Unmanned aircraft means an aircraft operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.

Unmanned aircraft system means an unmanned aircraft and its associated elements (including communication links and the components that control the unmanned aircraft) that are required for the safe and efficient operation of the unmanned aircraft in the airspace of the United States.
But, I do understand what you are trying to reference. Nonetheless, the federal gov’t does seemingly appear to be hesitant to pursue charges for the purposeful downing of a UAS. Perhaps in part because most UAS are far less in price than the penalty that may be imposed?!? Allowing for the settlement of charges/restitution within lesser courts. The drone is, unfortunately, still viewed, by many, as the spy in the sky! A food for thought article: To Shoot or Not to Shoot? The Legality of Downing a Drone | News & Resources | Dorsey

Solution? I have no idea! Drones seemingly gain a much quicker bad reputation than they do good! How can we reverse that perspective?

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
But, I do understand what you are trying to reference. Nonetheless, the federal gov’t does seemingly appear to be hesitant to pursue charges for the purposeful downing of a UAS. Perhaps in part because most UAS are far less in price than the penalty that may be imposed?!? Allowing for the settlement of charges/restitution within lesser courts. The drone is, unfortunately, still viewed, by many, as the spy in the sky!

Why are so many judges and prosecutors afraid to nail these idiots shooting at drones?

Will things change when autonomous drones are carrying pets to vet appointments and they plummet to their death when a scumbag shoots down a drone? What about emergency medical supplies being shot out of the sky because some moron thinks his airspace is being violated? When are these gun-crazy terrorists going to be held accountable?

Reactions: JimSteadman
Why are so many judges and prosecutors afraid to nail these idiots shooting at drones?
Excellent question! Seems more and more municipalities side with property/home owner's over what is perceived as national v personal airspace.
Will things change when autonomous drones are carrying pets to vet appointments and they plummet to their death when a scumbag shoots down a drone? What about emergency medical supplies being shot out of the sky because some moron thinks his airspace is being violated? When are these gun-crazy terrorists going to be held accountable?
Good reading: [Rupprecht Law]- Problems with Drone Delivery

Solution? I have no idea! Drones seemingly gain a much quicker bad reputation than they do good! How can we reverse that perspective?

Perhaps FAA and federal courts / prosecutors consider "it's only a toy aircraft" not realising it can do damage if it falls on person or property.

I checked Google maps, couldn't find Allerage Way, but found an Allerage Farm (closed) Litchfield Bradford PA.
This is probably the type of area you'd be likely to see this sort of incident, remote farming.
Seems the arrested is from Sayre township 9 miles away (or maybe they consider 9mi close enough to town to call it that).

Couldn't see any substantial powerlines, apart from along the road.
Regardless, you'd think the power company might letter drop the properties concerned prior to aerial / drone inspection though, just a heads up that it is official business for safety of the landowners property, and their infrastructure.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
Verizon is a telecom provider: Cellular, wireline, fiber so this will be interesting as they have deep pockets and may choose to make a statement.

PA Crimes code has limited options to charge and because PA is a commonwealth the local authority having jurisdiction is likely a county magistrate or district court whose judge (district justice) knows the defendant. The whole thing looks kind of suspect as it is bundled with a traffic accident report that is completely unrelated, and no citation numbers are listed (in PA non-traffic citations are used to charge misdemeanor crimes).

Typically a police IR has the citation numbers listed in the narrative....

Bradford County court records should also show a case number at some point if any actual charges are filed or the defendant chooses to not pay the fine and request a hearing.

Federal marshals? Really? you guys need to quit watching so much TV.... IF the FAA decides to do anything my bet is it will be a civil penalty similar to those assessed against disruptive flight pax.

(For once a stupid headline did not lead off with FLORIDA man....)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys