DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A question about the Smart Controller (Maps)

FASTFJR

Reactions
Just sold my Mavic and I want to get a Mavic 2 Pro. I've been playing around with the idea of getting the Smart Controller option. I do have a question. I'll be flying in Bermuda, its my understanding I can tether my iphone to the Smart Controller to bring up a live maps, however if I don't use my phone I either have to cache the google maps before I fly or I basically get a blank green map screen when flying.

Thanks

you would cache it on your radio not your phone. Think of the radio as a smart phone that does not make calls but has control sticks.

If you are on your phone now... go in to airplane mode then go to maps and scroll over to Bermuda . That's what you will see. If you wanted to cache the maps before you went you would connect your radio to wifi then scroll around where you would want to fly in Bermuda . Then you would have the maps.

Reactions: FASTFJR
you would cache it on your radio not your phone. Think of the radio as a smart phone that does not make calls but has control sticks.

If you are on your phone now... go in to airplane mode then go to maps and scroll over to Bermuda . That's what you will see. If you wanted to cache the maps before you went you would connect your radio to wifi then scroll around where you would want to fly in Bermuda . Then you would have the maps.

Thank you!

Oh actually it has offline map mode too!

Go here
Screenshot_20190405-101703.png
click the 3 dashes in the corner
Select "Offline Maps"
Find the area you want

Reactions: ff22
Yessiree, Bermadoo is a very tiny object in that big ocean and scrolling around a small display trying to find it WOULD be a PITA. I deployed to Bermuda twice in the Navy and aside from the non-to-friendly locals, it's a beautiful place and I would very much enjoy flying my M2P there.

Last edited:
Reactions: FASTFJR
Yessiree, Bermadoo is a very tiny object in that big ocean and scrolling around a small display trying to find it WOULD be a PITA. I deployed to Bermuda twice in the Navy and aside from the not-to-friendly locals, it's a beautiful place and I would very much enjoy flying my M2P there.

My wife and I are going in August for a week, been there 7 times and love it

My SC showed me a map of the area I was flying in without an internet connection, 100km from my house, and in an area I have never flown that drone in before. I am still trying to figure that one out - it might be pre-loaded to a certain degree.

Without taking too much time or effort, Can someone briefly explain to me how the maps works. I got to the screen and downloaded the area by my home,....buuut dont really know what to do from there, or why? ? Sorry kindof a rookie

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest