DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A question, if connection is reestablished, how do you cancel a landing triggered by a failsafe setting of "land"?

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
AHH I see the title was ambiguous I meant a landing triggered by a failsafe setting of "land", I have edited the title.

A recent thread brought this to mind, I have no idea how to do this and in the thread concerned there wasn't time to experiment.
I'd say the chances of it, the reconnection, happening are fairly slim but it did and it would be useful to know how to do cancel the landing.

Last edited:
I’ll say straight out I’ve never had a failsafe RTH after 5 years of M1P or Spark drones.
It’s a good question as to what shows on the screen as / if signal & video feed recommences while it returns.

I’d say best to simply test yourself.
Set up safe home point and RTH altitude setting.
Initiate failsafe in a safe place (open area, flat etc) by attempting to land some distance away, trees about, turn controller away or even move behind some sort of structure etc to block signal.
Allow it to drop video feed etc, then give it a minute or so and move back into good signal LOS.

I might have to try this myself now, as it would be good to know.
I’m assuming there would be some sort of RTH notification on the app screen to allow cancellation, same or similar to that if a normal RTH window.

Ok, attempting to visualise what circumstances a ‘failsafe’ landing is going to occur.
Do you mean when a battery reaches critical SOC and wants to land there and then ?
Not sure you’d have an option there.

Again I’ve never had this happen and would likely not as I tend to land really early with 20% to 30% battery remaining.

Are there other flight situations / stages where auto landing is forced as in a failsafe situation ?
Only failsafe RTH if set to land ?
Nothing I can think of.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Until you have a critical battery forced landing, you can still climb and fly. It will descend so you must keep applying "up" stick. And for a little extra confidence, it will fly for quite a while after the battery reaches 0%. I wouldn't do this very often as it's bad for the battery, but when necessary, it won't hurt.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Thanks for the responses.
The drone's log reports that the failsafe option was set to "land".
The drone suffered a disconnection, 9.6sec, that appears to have been long enough, 3sec+???, to trigger the failsafe response. Connection was very briefly regained and then lost again but the log showed the drone to be "Autolanding". The sticks were centred during the reconnection.
Battery charge was not an issue, 58%.

If you know this is happening press and hold for a few seconds the rth button on your controller until you get the beep beep beep. Do not wait. Hopefully that will override land and lift it back up if it is dropping to land. Rth button is perhaps the best failsafe on a dji drone. The battery on My phone once died even though charging from the controller. I hit rth and pretty soon there it was landing on it’s own. Best of luck and happy flying.

AHH I see the title was ambiguous I meant a landing triggered by a failsafe setting of "land", I have edited the title.

A recent thread brought this to mind, I have no idea how to do this and in the thread concerned there wasn't time to experiment.
I'd say the chances of it, the reconnection, happening are fairly slim but it did and it would be useful to know how to do cancel the landing.
I have 6 different DJI drones, and whenever I would test my "control range bubble" with a new type, I'd get signal loss RTH regularly, until I built a model for the size and shape of the control range bubble in my head. I just let it do its RTH thing for a bit until the connection is re-established, and then cancel RTH.

I'm frequently above 1000ft ATL, which I get to legally by flying up the opposite side of my canyon within the 400 ft AGL envelope. From my back deck I can also see forever, so I'm frequently 2000 ft away as well, strobe flashing happily.

The "land now" failsafe gets triggered when the drone thinks it's already too far away to return home with the remaining battery power. But the algorithm that's used to make that decision apparently doesn't take account of the altitude properly. I forget now if it was with the FPV or one of the Minis, but it went into auto-land mode thinking it couldn't get home.

But it could get home! When it's in that condition, you can't make it climb, and you can't cancel the auto-land, but you can move it laterally. So I manually directed it back home, even while it was relentlessly trying to land. I then landed it safely without incident.

As with fixed wing aircraft, altitude is your friend!

Sometimes artificial intelligence can outsmart itself...

Chaosrider, actually what you're describing it critical low battery behavior. That's not what we are discussing here. In the situation we're discussing the drone had 58% battery.

Rather, we're discussing Failsafe RTH during signal loss, which is described in detail in the manual. This can happen with plenty of power to get home.
‐---------------------‐-----
Back to the discussion:

ALWAYS leave failsafe behavior set to RTH unless you have a specific mission reason to set it to Hover, or Land, and then set it back to RTH right after the mission.

The topic of this thread is the reason!

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that if set to RTH, unless there was some hardware failure you will always regain a connection and control as the drone returns.

With the Hover and Land options whatever conditions resulting disconnection persist, and it's a crapshoot if you can re-establish a connection by moving around.

I think DJI Fly should give a big red warning in the display before takeoff if Failsafe is not set to RTH.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that if set to R
Thanks but my enquiry was specific to the failsafe option being set to land.
That said, indeed the other options may be a bit of a crapshoot, "hover", if left to its own devices, will end in a low battery RTH (tested) and land may do so if the drone reject the landing site.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused 🙂

I thought your question was how to cancel a Failsafe triggered landing. Right?

Well, the simple answer is you can't, because you have no connection to the drone. That's why it's executing it's Failsafe program.

Of course if you can re-establish a connection you can halt automated execution by pressing (NOT holding) the pause/stop button. This is unlikely, however.

I thought your question was how to cancel a Failsafe triggered landing. Right?
Correct
Of course if you can re-establish a connection you can halt automated execution by pressing (NOT holding) the pause/stop button.
Thanks, in the flight/thread that prompted my question there was a brief, 4second?, reconnection followed by a final disconnection.

Simple, why can't DJI add a big " Cancel Button " like Autel did for EVO2 Pro 6K, but kind of smallish in size and when under pressure you can't even activate it when all Hell Breaks Loose !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S