DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A solution to using a phone in its case

maelstrom

Reactions
I like to keep my phone in a case but was disappointed that I couldn't fit it in the RC for my Mavic Mini with the case on. For anyone who may be interested, I've found a simple solution which works perfectly.

I bought a phone tripod mount from Amazon (Phone Tripod Mount with Wireless Remote Control 360°Rotation Smartphone Holder Stand Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Xs XR Max X 8 7 6 6s Plus Samsung Nexus Cell Phone for Selfie Stick Tripod Monopod: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - £7.95 in the UK) and adapted it to use with the RC. First I unscrewed the adjustable phone holder from the main tripod mount and detached the large knob (held in by a circlip)

01.jpg

02.jpg

Next I cut a thin piece of plywood to a rectangular shape sized for the RC mount and padded the edges out to make it a firm fit (I wrapped the edges with some aluminium tape to make it easier to fit and remove). I drilled a hole in the wooden plate and screwed the adjustable mount to it using the original knob and a couple of spring washers to prevent it turning or coming loose. I drilled a couple of extra holes in the wooden plate to fit a neck strap later.

03.jpg

04.jpg

Fitting my phone is simply a matter of dropping it into the adjustable mount and tightening the small knob at the bottom to hold it securely in place. I can leave the wooden plate in the RC and just fit and remove the phone as required. The other advantage is that it's a simple matter to adjust it for any phone that I may change to in the future - it opens to a maximum of 10cm. As a bonus, it came with a small Bluetooth camera button to use with the phone.

05.JPG

A word of light hearted warning, be careful of the screw in the clamp, it's thread angle looks very steep and it might be a double start thread (quick acting), if it is and you damage it I doubt you will be able to find a replacement other than buying the whole thing.
Some of the Chinese 'Acra Swiss' style tripod clamps have this thread and........ I had to get another clamp

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a clever idea. Does the phone placement interfere with the sticks?

mikeg

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
Reactions: shthpnz and TampaTC
A word of light hearted warning, be careful of the screw in the clamp, it's thread angle looks very steep and it might be a double start thread (quick acting), if it is and you damage it I doubt you will be able to find a replacement other than buying the whole thing.
Some of the Chinese 'Acra Swiss' style tripod clamps have this thread and........ I had to get another clamp
I'm guessing, but I would imagine it's standard tripod thread, 1/4" UNC (the last bastion of non metric threads in Europe)

I like to keep my phone in a case but was disappointed that I couldn't fit it in the RC for my Mavic Mini with the case on. For anyone who may be interested, I've found a simple solution which works perfectly.

I bought a phone tripod mount from Amazon (Phone Tripod Mount with Wireless Remote Control 360°Rotation Smartphone Holder Stand Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Xs XR Max X 8 7 6 6s Plus Samsung Nexus Cell Phone for Selfie Stick Tripod Monopod: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - £7.95 in the UK) and adapted it to use with the RC. First I unscrewed the adjustable phone holder from the main tripod mount and detached the large knob (held in by a circlip)

View attachment 111632

View attachment 111633

Next I cut a thin piece of plywood to a rectangular shape sized for the RC mount and padded the edges out to make it a firm fit (I wrapped the edges with some aluminium tape to make it easier to fit and remove). I drilled a hole in the wooden plate and screwed the adjustable mount to it using the original knob and a couple of spring washers to prevent it turning or coming loose. I drilled a couple of extra holes in the wooden plate to fit a neck strap later.

View attachment 111634

View attachment 111635

Fitting my phone is simply a matter of dropping it into the adjustable mount and tightening the small knob at the bottom to hold it securely in place. I can leave the wooden plate in the RC and just fit and remove the phone as required. The other advantage is that it's a simple matter to adjust it for any phone that I may change to in the future - it opens to a maximum of 10cm. As a bonus, it came with a small Bluetooth camera button to use with the phone.

View attachment 111636
Looks really professional, maybe you should build your own plywood drone !!

Reactions: Craig580
Pretty clever.
What USB cord are you using?

56c6daa867ca2d8ea8dcf47d6cd47821.jpg

I 3D printed my solution. Metal plate in my phone case, magnetic mount. Been using it for the last year.

Reactions: maelstrom
Reactions: FlyoverDRN
I’ve purchased these to be able to use my iPhone Xmax in an otter box defender case. Spacing isn’t compatible so I never was able to use this solution. Even the tripod expansion phone grabber (Amazon solution) is tight for my phone case. I’ve learned to live with removing the case first. My bigger issue is visibility on bright days

I’ve purchased these to be able to use my iPhone Xmax in an otter box defender case. Spacing isn’t compatible so I never was able to use this solution. Even the tripod expansion phone grabber (Amazon solution) is tight for my phone case. I’ve learned to live with removing the case first. My bigger issue is visibility on bright days

Nothing will fit around that otterbox case it makes the phone too thick

Spacing isn’t compatible so I never was able to use this solution. Even the tripod expansion phone grabber (Amazon solution) is tight for my phone case.

Nothing will fit around that otterbox case it makes the phone too thick

The solution I showed at the start of this thread works. I have an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone SE (2020 version - in the photos) and it fits with room to spare. Im not sure that all phone tripod mounts will work but the one I linked in my first post definitely does. This is the same mount from Amazon.com: Amazon.com: Ulanzi Phone Tripod Mount Adapter/Vertical Bracket Smartphone Holder/Cell Phone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo