DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A very useful easy 3 step technique to getting your Mavic footage to look polished and filmic

The problem is how long it takes wen you use Neat Video or simlar, even with a powerful computer.

Yeah totally agree, however it's well worth doing it in my opinion. The render times aren't too bad though. I would rather wait 20-40min for a render that makes my footage look much better. One can grab a quick snack in that time [emoji41]

Reactions: deltalimatango
DJI ads didnt say we needed to spend lots of money and time on programs and parts to make the footage look half decent.

Im not buying in.

The footage is what it is. I dont feel like wasting more time than necessary with the amount and type of shooting i do.

Unless you are needing higher IQ for commercial purposes then it might be worth the jacking around.

Come back when you find a program that with one click you point at your footage and it does the rest instantly :D

Interesting point. I do think that a lot of us want to have the best looking footage purely for creative purposes. I think I speak for a lot of people.
As for adding costs to getting optimal picture quality... this happens across the board for any photographic gear. We buy the latest camera and then we upgrade it with fancy lenses, filters, photo and post production programs and techniques etc. it's a normal process with anything related to this.

You may be a small percentage that might be fine with mediocre looking footage. I certainly want my filming experiences to look freakin epic

Last edited:
DJI ads didnt say we needed to spend lots of money and time on programs and parts to make the footage look half decent.

Im not buying in.

The footage is what it is. I dont feel like wasting more time than necessary with the amount and type of shooting i do.

Unless you are needing higher IQ for commercial purposes then it might be worth the jacking around.

Come back when you find a program that with one click you point at your footage and it does the rest instantly :D

It's a personal preference, I for one enjoy processing footage either GoPro Drone or DSLR video I still aim to make the footage look how I want, so for me this is part of the hobby

It's a personal preference, I for one enjoy processing footage either GoPro Drone or DSLR video I still aim to make the footage look how I want, so for me this is part of the hobby

I totally agree. Most of us have this as a hobby and enjoy making great films. Otherwise people would be buying a drone without a camera. I love the grading and editing process where you bring everything to life

The problem is how long it takes wen you use Neat Video or simlar, even with a powerful computer.
Strangely enough I found that my 6 year old iMac renders Neat effects more than three times as fast as my brand new Windows machine (in Premiere). I have no idea why.

But I do agree that the Mavic noise profiles for Neat really do make a difference to the footage, especially when you want the most of the dynamic range in D-log. I don't even send raw files to my clients, I always render the clips (with the money shots as an opener) in Premiere with Neat first.

Strangely enough I found that my 6 year old iMac renders Neat effects more than three times as fast as my brand new Windows machine (in Premiere). I have no idea why.

But I do agree that the Mavic noise profiles for Neat really do make a difference to the footage, especially when you want the most of the dynamic range in D-log. I don't even send raw files to my clients, I always render the clips (with the money shots as an opener) in Premiere with Neat first.

That's really odd that it renders so fast. Maybe your preferences on the windows machine isn't using your gpu?

Yeah the noise profiles are amazing to have. Really speeds up the workflow and works well with the color presets LUTs because grading enhances noise [emoji41]

That's really odd that it renders so fast. Maybe your preferences on the windows machine isn't using your gpu?

Yeah the noise profiles are amazing to have. Really speeds up the workflow and works well with the color presets LUTs because grading enhances noise [emoji41]
Nah, I'm pretty familiar with those settings :) I rendered a looot of drone shots this summer day after day on my laptop, so I was quite surpriced to render something on the iMac and just see the thing blast away. I knew there were some very different render times between Final Cut and Premiere on Mac, but not this. Perhaps it's another bottleneck on the Win thats causing trouble with this. Oh well, I may or may not do a side-by-side test some day. I usually just queue several things overnight anyway.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
I am quite liking the results from upscaling from 2.7K to 4K when you render.
Working with 2.7K at editing stage is significantly faster including the subtle neat image smoothing.
I don't see any particularly need to buy their luts or special neat image preset though.

Reactions: TerryJ
I am quite liking the results from upscaling from 2.7K to 4K when you render.
Working with 2.7K at editing stage is significantly faster including the subtle neat image smoothing.
I don't see any particularly need to buy their luts or special neat image preset though.

You don't know what you're missing then ;)
The color transforms from the presets and precise noise reduction profiles really take the footage to another level. The proof is in the pudding as they say. The sample videos are the best Mavic videos out there

Definitely see the point in creative 'tweaking' of videos if they are for displaying to others. I'm using my Mavic videos for exploring hard-to-get-to cave entrances in cliffs, etc., so I really dislike some of the auto-adjustments that the Mavic does during a video -- I really want consistent (colour, etc.) images in a sequence, although I admit auto-exposure is necessary.

Anyone have recommended settings for video that are good for 'documentary' videos? For stills I use RAW, and write my own software to process sometimes, but I am a novice as far as video is concerned.

Its simple the iMac is a better computer. I left the PC world 10 years ago and have never looked back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent