DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2 CofC - Passed!

Pedwards

Reactions
Whilst furloughed I decided to take my A2 CofC, ready for the changes in rules currently commencing 1st Nov 2020. I selected Heliguy as the provider and was very pleased with their training and advice. I took the remote exam this morning and pleased to say I passed. This means when the new rules come in I can fly my Mavic Mini in areas currently not accessible. It was interesting learning, and as I have an passion for aviation, it was enjoyable too.

great stuff good on you

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Well done you all. I contacted Heliguy two days ago but no reply as yet. Maybe they were busy with you lot :)
Dererk

Well done, I did mine on Tuesday and got full marks. Think I will have a go at the GVC. I did it with UAVHUB.

I looked at doing the GVC. Then saw the costs involved. It is not the course cost here in the UK, it is between £500-1350 depending upon who you do it with and where. But it is the ongoing costs. £250 ish for the actual CAA certification and then every year another £190 for the CAA and sending off your flight log and Operations Manual for the CAA scrutiny. You also need to keep up a certain number of logged hours flying within the last 3 months before applying again each year.

Agree, the cost of the GVC also pushed me toward the A2 CofC. Also, until 30th June 2022, with my Mavic Mini and the A2 CofC I can overfly uninvolved (not crowds) or fly in areas where 50 meters from uninvolved is not possible (edited after - Apparently this can be done by anyone as long as you have read the SUA manual and it's weight is less than 250g)). I can also fly my Air 2 and MP2 in the A2 category.112417m2cryxr2cc00scj0.jpg

Would love to know which areas of the learning syllabus is absolutely necessary for taking the test! Seems like LOADS of reading for 30 questions.

Well done, I did mine on Tuesday and got full marks. Think I will have a go at the GVC. I did it with UAVHUB.

GVC is only going to be useful if doing it for money. The renewal costs are a few hundred pounds a year.

Would love to know which areas of the learning syllabus is absolutely necessary for taking the test! Seems like LOADS of reading for 30 questions.
Most of it is reinforcing common sense.
Safety checks, risk assessment, very basic weather and aviation knowledge and so on.
The only "tricky" bit that aren't common sense you just need to remember are around the categories and restrictions along with legacy vs certified changes.

Its nothing a relatively competent person cant do in a few hours.

Most of it is reinforcing common sense.
Safety checks, risk assessment, very basic weather and aviation knowledge and so on.
The only "tricky" bit that aren't common sense you just need to remember are around the categories and restrictions along with legacy vs certified changes.

Its nothing a relatively competent person cant do in a few hours.
Agreed. I took mine through Heliguy. There's a lot of information provided by them covering all areas of the exam, much of which I have now forgotten. I'll need to refresh before the 31st Dec. I'm glad I took the certificate, but it's a lot of money for what it was. Human factors was very interesting.

The website below lists the four areas covered;

Agreed. I took mine through Heliguy. There's a lot of information provided by them covering all areas of the exam, much of which I have now forgotten. I'll need to refresh before the 31st Dec. I'm glad I took the certificate, but it's a lot of money for what it was. Human factors was very interesting.

The website below lists the four areas covered;
Nice one mate, thanks!

Well done all on the qualifications.
Did my PfAW in 2015 with Aerial motion pictures. Matt Williams. ( now UAV Hub ) Very knowledgeable guy (ex RAF pilot)
He's been a massive help over the years and puts out loads of videos to keep us up to date with the ever changing rules.

Also Drone Safe Register has a tool to find training local to you.

Jim

Reactions: Physopto
Hi Folks, and a BIG shoutout to OMM! He recently advised that UAVHUB were doing the A2CofC course for £139, so I took the plunge.
Passed tonight 100%.
Thanks, OMM for giving me the little 'push' to do it.
For anyone thinking about taking this course / exam, it is straightforward common sense, with some easy technical stuff. Shouldn't be problematic to anyone here.
Regards to all!

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi Folks, and a BIG shoutout to OMM! He recently advised that UAVHUB were doing the A2CofC course for £139, so I took the plunge.
Passed tonight 100%.
Thanks, OMM for giving me the little 'push' to do it.
For anyone thinking about taking this course / exam, it is straightforward common sense, with some easy technical stuff. Shouldn't be problematic to anyone here.
Regards to all!
@RonW thanks for your comments ,its not really hard to do ,its just remembering the different cap numbers and some particular regs, as you say its mostly common sense, glad i could help, theres hope for us oldies yet it seems

Whilst furloughed I decided to take my A2 CofC, ready for the changes in rules currently commencing 1st Nov 2020. I selected Heliguy as the provider and was very pleased with their training and advice. I took the remote exam this morning and pleased to say I passed. This means when the new rules come in I can fly my Mavic Mini in areas currently not accessible. It was interesting learning, and as I have an passion for aviation, it was enjoyable too.
Did you have to do the practical flight training and submit logs etc? Cheers. Matt

Did you have to do the practical flight training and submit logs etc? Cheers. Matt
No Matt everything at the moment is done online, with UAVHUB you
have to sign and submit online a self declaration instead of doing a
actual practical in person flight exam. There's a list of flight manoeuvres
and tasks you have to declare you can do. The exam is all online via webcams
and an examiner and is 30 questions multiple choice

Reactions: old man mavic
No Matt everything at the moment is done online, with UAVHUB you
have to sign and submit online a self declaration instead of doing a
actual practical in person flight exam. There's a list of flight manoeuvres
and tasks you have to declare you can do. The exam is all online via webcams
and an examiner and is 30 questions multiple choice
Hi Gary.... thanks for message and I realise that and my provider was an online exam with self certified practical.... did your provider want a certain number of hours, or was the signed declaration enough? Cheers. Matt

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu