DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About to buy a new laptop. Should which one I buy factor in to my drone hobby? I'm brand new to this......

JustJeff

Reactions
Hi guys and girls. I'm BRAND NEW to the drone world. As a matter of fact, I have ordered a new Air 2S, but haven't even received it yet. In any event, I've got an outdated/broken computer. It still works, but the hinge is broken, and I'm going to replace it. I always work with PCs, and am not familiar with Macs. So, I'm going to stick with a PC. Should I be leaning towards a certain storage size, processing speed, or anything like that? I'm not a computer "pro" by any stretch of the imagination, but don't want to buy something that's not great at being able to edit photos/videos from the drone. I was thinking about buying a gaming laptop, just because I think they're supposed to focus more on speed if I'm not mistaken. I'd like to stick to the 1,200.00 range or so, if that's possible. I was thinking about something like this one in the link, or similar. But I'm definitely open to suggestions if there's something in a similar price range or less, that will be up to any task that the drone hobby may require. Also, is a touch screen important, or is that just a sales gimmick? I appreciate any and all input. Thank you!!

Hi guys and girls. I'm BRAND NEW to the drone world. As a matter of fact, I have ordered a new Air 2S, but haven't even received it yet. In any event, I've got an outdated/broken computer. It still works, but the hinge is broken, and I'm going to replace it. I always work with PCs, and am not familiar with Macs. So, I'm going to stick with a PC. Should I be leaning towards a certain storage size, processing speed, or anything like that? I'm not a computer "pro" by any stretch of the imagination, but don't want to buy something that's not great at being able to edit photos/videos from the drone. I was thinking about buying a gaming laptop, just because I think they're supposed to focus more on speed if I'm not mistaken. I'd like to stick to the 1,200.00 range or so, if that's possible. I was thinking about something like this one in the link, or similar. But I'm definitely open to suggestions if there's something in a similar price range or less, that will be up to any task that the drone hobby may require. Also, is a touch screen important, or is that just a sales gimmick? I appreciate any and all input. Thank you!!

The question is, do you intend to only take still photographs or two video? If it is to just take still photographs, a less powerful computer should be adequate. If you intend to mostly take videos, a faster computer with very large storage will be a blessing.

Reactions: Barbara

Seriously, the easiest option now days is to just google ' Best sub $1200 Laptop for 4K Video editing ' :)

A drone is essentially a flying camera, and most computers will handle even the largest drone stills okay but it's editing the 4K footage that brings older PC's to their knees

Go for the best specs you can afford at the time

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Regards, Stu

If you do videos at 4K or higher you will need a lot of storage space. You can even use a external USB HDD--like a 5T drive. Your compute should handle video editing; I use ShotCut on an older Toshiba Satellite laptop with discrete graphics.
So, I suggest getting the best laptop that is within your budget.

Reactions: JustJeff
My three things would be processor, memory, and storage for video. Get the most cores you can afford. I can't say fastest anymore because more cores is a better gauge. I'm running a 8-core Macbook but the processor speed is only 2.3 GHz. It works great on video. Memory is always one of the things I get as much as I can afford as well. It won't directly affect processing but can affect performance in general. Some apps are just memory hogs.

Storage is going to be critical and I think external is going to be your best bet. In a perfect world, you'd use local storage because otherwise the latency is a killer. However, the files will rapidly consume everything you have. I'm having great success with my Samsun T5 SSD. I really don't notice any issues working from the external. And, as with cpu and memory, more is better. ;)

If you plan to do video editing, learn how to create a proxy of your video in the editing software. This gives you a smaller file to edit but allows you to share your edits from the original. Bottom line is you need less powerful hardware if you edit the proxy.

My three things would be processor, memory, and storage for video. Get the most cores you can afford. I can't say fastest anymore because more cores is a better gauge. I'm running a 8-core Macbook but the processor speed is only 2.3 GHz. It works great on video. Memory is always one of the things I get as much as I can afford as well. It won't directly affect processing but can affect performance in general. Some apps are just memory hogs.

Storage is going to be critical and I think external is going to be your best bet. In a perfect world, you'd use local storage because otherwise the latency is a killer. However, the files will rapidly consume everything you have. I'm having great success with my Samsun T5 SSD. I really don't notice any issues working from the external. And, as with cpu and memory, more is better. ;)
Thanks, I appreciate the input!

If you plan to do video editing, learn how to create a proxy of your video in the editing software. This gives you a smaller file to edit but allows you to share your edits from the original. Bottom line is you need less powerful hardware if you edit the pr
Thank you.

Just make it simple and get the cheapest Macbook Air M1, it will outperform any windows laptop twice the price when it comes to video editing and it does so without even getting lukewarm.

I am a lifelong pc/windows user and I am in the same situation as you. Can't wait to get my hands on a Macbook Air.

PS. Proxys is in my humble opinion just an annoying hack to get around lousy pc performance. But each to their own...

Just make it simple and get the cheapest Macbook Air M1, it will outperform any windows laptop twice the price when it comes to video editing and it does so without even getting lukewarm.

I am a lifelong pc/windows user and I am in the same situation as you. Can't wait to get my hands on a Macbook Air.

PS. Proxys is in my humble opinion just an annoying hack to get around lousy pc performance. But each to their own...
Adobe Premiere Pro can automatically generate a proxy as you import footage, and even on a decent PC it makes editing a lot easier. So I'd say it's something a lot better than "Annoying hack".

As regards what PC to get, I use a fairly mediocre PC with 3 monitors and Premiere pro. Two of them are from Facebook Marketplace and once came with the PC. I like to have a preview on one screen and the editing window on another with the rest of the bins on number 3.

I personally prefer a desktop PC, but there isn't any reason a laptop can't do editing so personal preference is a big consideration.

Adobe Premiere Pro can automatically generate a proxy as you import footage, and even on a decent PC it makes editing a lot easier. So I'd say it's something a lot better than "Annoying hack".

As regards what PC to get, I use a fairly mediocre PC with 3 monitors and Premiere pro. Two of them are from Facebook Marketplace and once came with the PC. I like to have a preview on one screen and the editing window on another with the rest of the bins on number 3.

I personally prefer a desktop PC, but there isn't any reason a laptop can't do editing so personal preference is a big consideration.
Thanks for your input. My next comment is completely off track. I see your name being Greekislandlover. Do you happen to be Greek? Have you been to the Greek islands? I ask because my Father is Greek (actually from Greece, he came to the U.S. when he was 17). He goes back to visit as often as he can. I've personally never been there, but we are all supposed to go as a family either later this year, or sometime next year. So, I was just curious about your name and if you've been there.

So much of the answer to your query depends on your intended usage. Photos or videos, commercial or amateur, publish to social media or strictly personal....

I think you may find, as you are new to the hobby, that your desires and requirements are going to change as you gain experience.

I too have used PCs exclusively and was not tempted to switch to Mac's. There is a steep enough learning curve already with any (new) editing software. No need to complicate things. I would also agree with advice already given, buy the best machine you can afford. Fastest processor, SSD Drives (as large as possible), as much memory as possible, a good graphics card....the list goes on.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all editing software (and I'm speaking video editing here) is created equal. Some, like Davinci Resolve which I use, are hardware intensive and would struggle at best on a lesser machine. My opinion, start simple till you figure out where you want to go with the hobby.

So much of the answer to your query depends on your intended usage. Photos or videos, commercial or amateur, publish to social media or strictly personal....

I think you may find, as you are new to the hobby, that your desires and requirements are going to change as you gain experience.

I too have used PCs exclusively and was not tempted to switch to Mac's. There is a steep enough learning curve already with any (new) editing software. No need to complicate things. I would also agree with advice already given, buy the best machine you can afford. Fastest processor, SSD Drives (as large as possible), as much memory as possible, a good graphics card....the list goes on.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all editing software (and I'm speaking video editing here) is created equal. Some, like Davinci Resolve which I use, are hardware intensive and would struggle at best on a lesser machine. My opinion, start simple till you figure out where you want to go with the hobby.
Hi Barbara. Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm sure you're correct that my goals/desires will change at some point in the future with the drone/computer situation. Right now, I have no desire to earn money with the drone, or get a part 107 license. I don't think that part will change. But my desire to edit video, and possibly get more in depth with the photography end may possibly. But right now, my initial plans are to just take videos and photos of my property, friends' property etc...And some editing of those videos on the most basic level possible. I'm not a "tech guy", or a computer guy by any means or stretch of the imagination. Hence my questions about which laptop direction to lean towards, as far as what processor speed, hard drive capacity etc should I get a at a minim. If those two categories are even important?

As regards editing software, my first package was Filmora Wondershare. OK, not a freebie but for a beginner it worked well and I got some good results with it.

Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve aren't aimed at beginners and a steep learning curve is involved so you may wish to go for something simpler.

Some of the free / really basic ones just automatically put together a montage and add music and that works well for some. However I'd tend to go for something you can at least cut out the irrelevant sections of a shot such as take off / land / wobbly bits plus reorder shots to suit.

The one tip I'd give is that whatever you choose to edit with, make sure it has plenty of youtube tutorials!!!!

Thanks for your input. My next comment is completely off track. I see your name being Greekislandlover. Do you happen to be Greek? Have you been to the Greek islands? I ask because my Father is Greek (actually from Greece, he came to the U.S. when he was 17). He goes back to visit as often as he can. I've personally never been there, but we are all supposed to go as a family either later this year, or sometime next year. So, I was just curious about your name and if you've been there.
Sent a PM regarding Greece as is off topic :)

As regards editing software, my first package was Filmora Wondershare. OK, not a freebie but for a beginner it worked well and I got some good results with it.

Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve aren't aimed at beginners and a steep learning curve is involved so you may wish to go for something simpler.

Some of the free / really basic ones just automatically put together a montage and add music and that works well for some. However I'd tend to go for something you can at least cut out the irrelevant sections of a shot such as take off / land / wobbly bits plus reorder shots to suit.

The one tip I'd give is that whatever you choose to edit with, make sure it has plenty of youtube tutorials!!!!
Thanks for your input! And I do think I'll avoid Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci, at least initially. I do want to stick with something basic until I at least have a better comprehension of the simple stuff, and then possibly move forward with something else. I think I'll try the Filmora. Thanks again.

There is definitely a nerd factor when it comes to editing. I quickly moved through two basic video editors before I settled for the free version of Davinci Resolve which is enough for most people, but then I also became a video editing nerd.

If there is an interest, the learning curve is not that steep. You don't have to use all functions from start, just learn a little through each video. The pros with the bigger editing programs is that there are no limitations.

But sure, start with a basic editor and see if you like your new hobby!

I thought Gaming laptop would be a good choice too. Turns out, gaming laptops are for gaming. I ordered a 17 inch HP OMEN with all the bells and whistles. Beautiful laptop but it was a gaming laptop and had problems with it and my editing software. I was using Premier Pro but have switched to Davinci Resolve. I sent the OMEN back. It was a good laptop if you are into gaming. The specs in your link look good for editing. I would recommend 32GB memory and 1TB if you can spare the $$$. The 32GB memory is really nice. Also beware, if you have to order one rather than buying off the shelf be prepared for about a 4 to 6 month wait. That was my experience.

I thought Gaming laptop would be a good choice too. Turns out, gaming laptops are for gaming. I ordered a 17 inch HP OMEN with all the bells and whistles. Beautiful laptop but it was a gaming laptop and had problems with it and my editing software. I was using Premier Pro but have switched to Davinci Resolve. I sent the OMEN back. It was a good laptop if you are into gaming. The specs in your link look good for editing. I would recommend 32GB memory and 1TB if you can spare the $$$. The 32GB memory is really nice. Also beware, if you have to order one rather than buying off the shelf be prepared for about a 4 to 6 month wait. That was my experience.
Oh wow, I hadn't considered the wait time if ordering one. THANK YOU for pointing that out. I would have never realized that until after they already had my money. I'll make sure to go to a brick and mortar store to buy one after I've finished doing my online research. I have been looking around, and I don't think shelling out for the 32GB memory or the 1TB storage will be a problem either. Thank you for your reply!

Reactions: VanP
There's a HUGE difference in the computing power required to edit 4k video as opposed to 1080p , and thus you need a very expensive and powerful pc that can edit 4k video . Problem is if you are only going to put your edited 4k videos on youtube , then its going to look no better than the 1080p videos due to you tubes aggressive compression . I spent 3500 euro on a X17 alienware gaming Laptop for this very purpose and I can tell you the results from my 4k online videos are very disappointing

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore