DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About to buy MP2- nervous that macbook pro might not handle file size- Help!

downtoearth

Reactions
Hi all, I'm super excitied to be about to buy a Mavic pro 2, and am just concerned about whether my late 2013 Macbook pro will be able to handle the files for editing. My specs are ttached. Is it possible to adjust the record qual;ity settings if it's demed my hardware wouldn't be able to handle the highest quality? Thanks for any advice. ianScreen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.25.10.png

Awesome, thanks. Do you think it would handle the 4k H.265 files or would I need to reduce record quality to 1080p? cheers

Do you think it would handle the 4k H.265 files
You run into problems here ... Your Macbook pro has an 'Haswell' processor.
HEVC (H.265) support is hardware accelerated on Apple's recent Macs with min. Intel "Kaby Lake" processors, starting with the early 2016 MacBook, and the 2016 MacBook Pro. The AMD Radeon Pro chipset included in the 2016 MacBook Pro also includes HEVC decoding support

Awesome, thanks. Do you think it would handle the 4k H.265 files or would I need to reduce record quality to 1080p? cheers

Depends on how young you are. For an old guy like me, waiting to render 10 minutes of 4k video might be a death sentence. ;)

It really depends what you are going to do with the file. Youtube, Facebook, etc dont really need higher res.

2015 max spec MacBook Pro was struggling with .265 4K and the time to convert was getting to be a pain. I have learned how to edit on my 2018 iPad Pro and it is crazy fast! Just finished a 40 min 4K H.265 on max quality it rendered in just over 8 min. To get much better than that I got to get some serious money together. I will tell you Ipad file management and work flow takes getting used to but once i got the hang of it is not to bad. I hope apple puts FCP on IOS but doubt ill ever see that. It’s an option if you cant get your current model to work your needs.

*edit* I almost forgot the 1 TB iPad Pro is almost mandatory if you want to do 4K. Best part its so portable.

Last edited:
2015 max spec MacBook Pro was struggling with .265 4K and the time to convert was getting to be a pain. I have learned how to edit on my 2018 iPad Pro and it is crazy fast! Just finished a 40 min 4K H.265 on max quality it rendered in just over 8 min. To get much better than that I got to get some serious money together. I will tell you Ipad file management and work flow takes getting used to but once i got the hang of it is not to bad. I hope apple puts FCP on IOS but doubt ill ever see that. It’s an option if you cant get your current model to work your needs.
Thanks, that's agreat tip, much appreciated:)

To answer the question the way I think you meant it. No that computer is not gonna be able to handle 4K HVEC videos without you loosing your mind. As has been said before for some reason the best tool to edit HVEC 4K Videos is an iPad Pro. I don’t know how it works but what would take my fairly high powered Mac over an hour to process the iPad Pro does in like 3 mins. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it for myself.

Reactions: Thomas B
To answer the question the way I think you meant it. No that computer is not gonna be able to handle 4K HVEC videos without you loosing your mind. As has been said before for some reason the best tool to edit HVEC 4K Videos is an iPad Pro. I don’t know how it works but what would take my fairly high powered Mac over an hour to process the iPad Pro does in like 3 mins. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it for myself.
Thanks Brett, that's great info, I'll look into it. Good to know before buying:)

I have learned how to edit on my 2018 iPad Pro and it is crazy fast!
What software are you using? I have a slightly more modern MacBook Pro than downtoearth (it may be due a replacement) but also have a 2017 iPad Pro, albeit only 512GB storage.

What software are you using? I have a slightly more modern MacBook Pro than downtoearth (it may be due a replacement) but also have a 2017 iPad Pro, albeit only 512GB storage.

LumaFusion is really the golden standard for iPad editing and only one I can see being used as a full desktop class NLE replacement for the iPad.

Reactions: Idrach
Man, your 2013 has better specs than my 2018. I have an i5 and only 8gb ram

Depends on how young you are. For an old guy like me, waiting to render 10 minutes of 4k video might be a death sentence. ;)

It really depends what you are going to do with the file. Youtube, Facebook, etc dont really need higher res.

Try editing some 4K 360' footage. 1gb per min file sizes.
O look, an error at 98% *starts again and goes to sleep*

2D 4k is easy breezy, and should be doable on that hardware.

Reactions: Former Member

Which Mac are you referring to? If it's the 2016 MBP that you mentioned in another thread then that's because it has a Skylake processor that doesn't do hardware HEVC encoding and decoding, whereas the iPad Pro processor does.

Which Mac are you referring to? If it's the 2016 MBP that you mentioned in another thread then that's because it has a Skylake processor that doesn't do hardware HEVC encoding and decoding, whereas the iPad Pro processor does.

I know but even encoding to H.264 which does have hardware acceleration in my Mac takes longer than encoding HVEC on an iPad. That’s the part I don’t understand

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242