DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Above the clouds

RavenTBK

Reactions
Since it's the rainy season here in FL, the weather does oddball things. During this mornings 3h commute, I noticed there was a visible cloud sandwich above me, where the low clouds were broken enough to see the clear layer above with solid cover above that. Surface winds were light, and the low clouds were moving slow enough I figured winds aloft would be manageable.

No audio..just a simple cloud punch followed by a 360 look around. Here's a framegrab from the cache:
84e4b56d99f1b52b077e827fd0ec9f68.jpg

The video is still slowly being fed to YouTube...I'll kick up as a reply when it's done.

Last edited:
In the old days before electronics they were called sucker holes. Because once you flew through them you didn't know how low to the ground the clouds went. So you had to look for another sucker hole to come back down.

Full 500m.

Clouds began at about 650ft, and punched through at 900ish. Went the whole way up to 1637ft just to get a better angle on the view. Twas a beautiful VFR day up above the IFR ugliness below.

Oops...now they'll arrest me for sure. *scared* ;)
I was going to ask the same thing about altitude, im guessing you didnt get done? Im new to flying drones and at the moment i think i would be scared to take it up higher than i should cause knowing my luck they will find me and arrest me!

Reactions: Wersh
@RavenTBK sweet video! This is what the Mavic is for -- small and compact, you can take it with you everywhere, and grab moments like this. I've been waiting for another day like that one I shot the OP video from, and ain't happening. They're so rare around here in the Santa Cruz area.

The cloud layering is spectacular!

Reactions: RavenTBK
Full 500m.

Clouds began at about 650ft, and punched through at 900ish. Went the whole way up to 1637ft just to get a better angle on the view. Twas a beautiful VFR day up above the IFR ugliness below.

Oops...now they'll arrest me for sure. *scared* ;)

So do I think the rules are stricter than they are?i get nervous if I forget to email my local airport on a 10 min flight. Going above “legal”
altitude seems fun but how worried should I be? Obv don’t go doing this where it doesn’t seem safe

So do I think the rules are stricter than they are?i get nervous if I forget to email my local airport on a 10 min flight. Going above “legal”
altitude seems fun but how worried should I be? Obv don’t go doing this where it doesn’t seem safe
My mobile app won't tell me, so I'm assuming you reside in CONUS.

The easiest way to sum it up can be done with a fantastic quote from the original Pirates of the Caribbean movie referencing adherence to the "Pirates Code":

“The code is more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules.” – Hector Barbossa

Everything that the FAA has put out are quidelines...up until they pushed registration, when they became rules...then the courts changed them back to guidelines when they struck down the registration requirement. Obviously adhering to the safe flying guidelines is the safest thing to do in every circumstance, but they are in no way enforceable; until your actions create a problem.

Really it involves applying a bit of common sense:
#1 Don't fly unless you're willing to accept whatever consequences come from it.
#2 Don't fly anywhere you feel uncomfortable - applies to both the environment and your skill level.
#3 Do no harm - to reasonable privacy, persons, or property.

If you satisfy all three and constantly reassess during all activity, you will not only have more fun with your flying camera, but your employed level of safety in flight will also increase, tilting the familiar risk vs reward seesaw in your favor allowing you to safely operate outside of the guidelines.

Regarding my clip in particular, I didn't randomly choose a place to launch and go straight up. The launch site was the large rear lot of a closed down truck stop, with the nearest neighbor pretty far away and upwind to boot. Downwind was a pasture and pond. I know the area, nearby landing strips, and what type of aircraft could be impacted by doing this. The weather also played a factor...with low clouds and intermittent rain, none of the cropdusters in the area would be up. Regarding commercial and military, I was greater than 30mi away, so all those flights would be at 5000ft or greater over my location. There's always a chance for something out of the ordinary coming by, but theres a better chance of being hit by lightning than this flight encountering anything non environmental that is remotely troublesome.

I've been a private pilot for many years. Been in RC for about 8, of which the last 4 has been flying rather large (12kg) home built quads and a hex (7kg).

Best thing to have is seat time. Keep flying, and just don't be stupid. [emoji16]

I've attached a still of some ground fog from this morning in a different part of the state where I wasn't too excited about staying high enough to really play around. Grabbed my photo at 575 and shut down. ;)

be8c10c35eb828d647ff4b762aab26f9.jpg

My mobile app won't tell me, so I'm assuming you reside in CONUS.

The easiest way to sum it up can be done with a fantastic quote from the original Pirates of the Caribbean movie referencing adherence to the "Pirates Code":

“The code is more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules.” – Hector Barbossa

Everything that the FAA has put out are quidelines...up until they pushed registration, when they became rules...then the courts changed them back to guidelines when they struck down the registration requirement. Obviously adhering to the safe flying guidelines is the safest thing to do in every circumstance, but they are in no way enforceable; until your actions create a problem.

Really it involves applying a bit of common sense:
#1 Don't fly unless you're willing to accept whatever consequences come from it.
#2 Don't fly anywhere you feel uncomfortable - applies to both the environment and your skill level.
#3 Do no harm - to reasonable privacy, persons, or property.

If you satisfy all three and constantly reassess during all activity, you will not only have more fun with your flying camera, but your employed level of safety in flight will also increase, tilting the familiar risk vs reward seesaw in your favor allowing you to safely operate outside of the guidelines.

Regarding my clip in particular, I didn't randomly choose a place to launch and go straight up. The launch site was the large rear lot of a closed down truck stop, with the nearest neighbor pretty far away and upwind to boot. Downwind was a pasture and pond. I know the area, nearby landing strips, and what type of aircraft could be impacted by doing this. The weather also played a factor...with low clouds and intermittent rain, none of the cropdusters in the area would be up. Regarding commercial and military, I was greater than 30mi away, so all those flights would be at 5000ft or greater over my location. There's always a chance for something out of the ordinary coming by, but theres a better chance of being hit by lightning than this flight encountering anything non environmental that is remotely troublesome.

I've been a private pilot for many years. Been in RC for about 8, of which the last 4 has been flying rather large (12kg) home built quads and a hex (7kg).

Best thing to have is seat time. Keep flying, and just don't be stupid. [emoji16]

I've attached a still of some ground fog from this morning in a different part of the state where I wasn't too excited about staying high enough to really play around. Grabbed my photo at 575 and shut down. ;)

be8c10c35eb828d647ff4b762aab26f9.jpg

Beautiful. Ok thank you for the info. I was Half convinced someone is looking our stuff making sure we don’t go over 400ft. Most I’ve done was 390. But will certainly take advantage of some safe looking places. Always try to stay careful. Cheers!

Reactions: BlueZone
Beautiful. Ok thank you for the info. I was Half convinced someone is looking our stuff making sure we don’t go over 400ft. Most I’ve done was 390. But will certainly take advantage of some safe looking places. Always try to stay careful. Cheers!
Be warned, there are some people out there that do just that. They're the equivalent of the cat lady down the road in her picture window with binoculars. Use discretion when sharing your videos....and remember my rule #1 above.

This cat was a victim of a crazy cat lady who stalked his YouTube channel. The crazy cat lady was in no way harmed by the video, but she felt she knew better than the pilot and reported him anyway. He followed rule #1 to a tee.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60