DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accessing Smart Controller's internal or sd-card files via usb?

ff22

Reactions
I have plugged a cable from my computer into the bottom (usb micro c) port. I hear the usb-clang and I get a prompt - basically: charge, share files, share photos. But nothing shows up on my Win7 computer when "sharing files". I'd like access to what's stored in Internal Memory and when I add an sd-card, I'd like access to what gets stored there.

If I change to "share photos" I see two folders but they are both empty. I was just able to copy files to those folders and can view them on the SC.

What am I doing wrong?

I think I read somewhere that the top one is the one you should use.

I think I read somewhere that the top one is the one you should use.

That makes for an unusual cable connection as the controller's top is the larger standard usb socket that is also on the computer. So two male usb A ends on the cable.

I wonder if there's some permission on the controller that I've missed?

I would tend to agree on the cable. Let us know what you figure out.

I have figured out part of it. When you plug your USB-C cable into the bottom port and connect it to a computer, you'll get a pop-up asking if you want to charge- transfer photo files, or transfer files. Tap on transfer files. At this point, I was stalled and no files showed up. On that same page (should be the first page after booting the SC), you should see a small asterisk(!) in the upper right corner. Tap on that and a new menu should appear with "USB Troubleshooting" somewhere in in. Tap on that and it should fix the issue (you should now see a m500 Portable Media player folder on your computer and in it, all the SC files should be available.

Now the only issue I'm having is that when I import the orig jpeg files into my laptop, none will open as a jpeg. They show 0 bytes and open as a blank page. I can see them as thumbnails in Explorer but can't get my full resolution photos?? Anyone out there have any hints??

Oh, and by the way, once you've gone through that USB troubleshooting thing, the USB-C connections should work every time. All you have to do each time is select "transfer files" and shut off the charging option.

Reactions: ff22
I have figured out part of it. When you plug your USB-C cable into the bottom port and connect it to a computer, you'll get a pop-up asking if you want to charge- transfer photo files, or transfer files. Tap on transfer files. At this point, I was stalled and no files showed up. On that same page (should be the first page after booting the SC), you should see a small asterisk(!) in the upper right corner. Tap on that and a new menu should appear with "USB Troubleshooting" somewhere in in. Tap on that and it should fix the issue (you should now see a m500 Portable Media player folder on your computer and in it, all the SC files should be available.

Now the only issue I'm having is that when I import the orig jpeg files into my laptop, none will open as a jpeg. They show 0 bytes and open as a blank page. I can see them as thumbnails in Explorer but can't get my full resolution photos?? Anyone out there have any hints??

Oh, and by the way, once you've gone through that USB troubleshooting thing, the USB-C connections should work every time. All you have to do each time is select "transfer files" and shut off the charging option.
It sounds as if the actual files are not transferring although, the process must start since "empty" files are on you laptop. Does this happen all of the time or occasionally? I seem to recall that may have happened once in the past but I'm not clear on that memory.

Does this help?
"
How can you export the flight records from the Smart Controller to a computer desk top to be shared?
'turn off debug developer mode. it is a known bug.'
Many thanks for this!
Spent an hour trying to get SC connected to PC : usb A computer -> usb C SC with no luck.
Looking for drivers etc etc
Did a slide down from top of SC screen after connecting and turned off debug developer mode.
Now it shows up as MTP USB device in file manager and is fully accessible.
Thanks!! "

I have debug mode on, always have, and under devices it shows up as M500 device portable storage, something like that.

I read pics in jpg + DNG. I just save my images and vids to an SD card in my M2P and then, once home, remove it and insert it into the card reader on my iMac.. fewer gymnastics to get the pics to my computer.

with windows you can just plug drone into usb and drag your pics of the sd card that way, no dicking around with sd card removal etc, don't know if you can do that with mac pc, never had one

Windows 10 if the driver is missing:
1.jpg
Right click on MY PC
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
Yes
9.jpg
10.jpg

Reactions: CaptHook and ff22
Hi

I have tried instructions in this last post, directed to where I might find the files, but there is nothing there so I regret that I am no further forward and still looking for help

Hi

I have tried instructions in this last post, directed to where I might find the files, but there is nothing there so I regret that I am no further forward and still looking for help

If you have a windows machine, try this. Works for me on a Windows 7 platform no fail. Most of the effort is setting up the DJI Smart controller to get your photos mirrored onto the controller and then locating those mirrored files.

Attachments

• Transferring Mavic Images to the DJI SC .pdf
    60.5 KB · Views: 19
Mine problem is that in Win 10 when I plugged a cable from my computer into the bottom (usb micro c) port, I have not hear even the usb-clang sound.. only respond is a message on the smart controller screen for low power cherging.. any help on this?

Mine problem is that in Win 10 when I plugged a cable from my computer into the bottom (usb micro c) port, I have not hear even the usb-clang sound.. only respond is a message on the smart controller screen for low power cherging.. any help on this?
On the Smart Controller, drag a finger down from the top of the screen to see your Notifications. Look them over and see if you see something like "charging or usb charging" or similar. If so TAP that notice and you should get additional options like "charge", transfer files, or transfer photos. Choose FILES. I've sometimes have to actually do this twice for it to work. So Swipe/drag down again from the top and again select that charging notice. Good luck

On the Smart Controller, drag a finger down from the top of the screen to see your Notifications. Look them over and see if you see something like "charging or usb charging" or similar. If so TAP that notice and you should get additional options like "charge", transfer files, or transfer photos. Choose FILES. I've sometimes have to actually do this twice for it to work. So Swipe/drag down again from the top and again select that charging notice. Good luck

Thank you for your reply.. I know that but in notifications area is only the DJI GO 4 notification, nothing else

EXCELLENT INSTRUCTIONS
Thanks
with windows you can just plug drone into usb and drag your pics of the sd card that way, no dicking around with sd card removal etc, don't know if you can do that with mac pc, never had one
Thanks.
I was able to put the S.C. SD card into the PC and get to the files OK. Sadly I can't get to the internal storage.

Thanks. Will have a look.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27