DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Encrypted

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum on the way and want to know what accessories you guys think I should get? Just so you know and to set some parameters I have no interests in landing pads, leg extensions or wraps.

I am interested in if I should get the Crystal sky. If so what size? Or iPad Pro? Antennas and controller mods?

The area I will be flying in is suburban but pretty dense full of large homes with trees and foliage and a ton of WiFi congestion. So should I invest in some kind of antenna? Opinions of if MaXX Mod’s triple antenna pack or one of Titan Drone’s antennae. I am a satellite coms guy, chemist and saltwater reef guy new to the drone world so I would like to know about what would be best for lots of WiFi congestion, houses and trees.

Finally I am interested in tracking devices, I have seen the he Marco Polo and ones with SIM cards. Not really too sure about these. Also interested in any mods I may not know about. I do have an interest in the DJI FLIR XT camera so this will probably be my into to the world of DJI before my purchase of a Matrice 201.

Reactions: Signalzero
I have a Mavic Pro Platinum on the way and want to know what accessories you guys think I should get?.
Here are my favorite must-have accessories for the Mavic:
Finally I am interested in tracking devices, I have seen the he Marco Polo and ones with SIM cards. Not really too sure about these.
Here are a few of the most commonly used trackers:
You can find some other trackers here.

Last edited:
Yes, some people are using Bluetooth trackers like the Tile and Loc8tor. The range is very limited, but they could be useful if your Mavic goes down in a tall field of grass (for example) and you're able to get within 100 or so feet of it before you starting tracking it down.

Last edited:
I fly in a rural area. But on the few occasions when I have been in the city I am very cautious. I usually go just straight up and then back down, just for some photos. Yes, you are right, there is a lot of interference from all kinds of sources, mainly the high power electric lines and radio transmitters. It can get pretty precarious. I have gone into atti mode with too much electromagnetic interference and that itself is a creepy experience, especially with a breeze and trying to land without hitting something. I do urge caution if you intend to fly in that environment. You might want to practice flying another drone in atti mode. Even with a tracker, how will you enter private property to retrieve your drone if it were to come down somewhere? With so many obstacles you need to be sure your launch area is wide and clear so if RTH kicks in the drone can land itself without hitting branches or power lines. Do, indeed, check the map before you take off. Check your minimum height requirement to clear everything like buildings, towers, trees, etc. Better yet, fly elsewhere where you are not over people and cars. Get some good liability insurance. Be sure you are registered with the FAA. Be prepared if someone accuses you of spying. Hope you see these issues clearly.

Get a better charger than the DJI one, which is too slow. Also a total of 3 batteries minimum. And a power bank for recharging your phone in the field so that it steals less power from your RC (if your phone is Android).

Others have a lot of ideas about carrying bags; personally I just opt for these -- they are cheap and versatile. I can't vouch for any of the antenna amplifiers -- in my experience height (either yours or the Mavic's) is your friend.
I got the fly more combo so I’ll have at least a couple extra batteries and a. Soft case and the multi charger. But you’re saying get a a rapid charging one? Any recommendations on which? The one I saw was like a power brick then the batteries connected like Christmas lights, can’t remember the brand...

Has anyone tried using the ‘tile’ location tracker (no jokes please)
I don’t think they are any good I personally have them for my keys and stuff which they work welll for but if you lost your drone past about 30 feet you’d be outta luck.

Here are my favorite must-have accessories for the Mavic:

Here are a few of the most commonly used trackers:
You can find some other trackers here.
I am thinking I want the Mavic Pro case made by Pelican. I have been a loyal customer to them as I have always used their dive cases. My MacBook Pro has a built in memory card reader and I have an adapter for it to adapt the micro as to as card size. As far as the lens pen goes completely with you but what about all these filters I see? Seems like on a tool that’s up in the air possibly shooting into brightigjt these might be a good idea to improve quality unless with the video editing software and tools they aren’t really necessary.

I have considered these things, that’s mainly why I was wondering about different antennas like the ones from MaXX Mod and Titan Drones as they would create a stronger signal, not because I want to fly 8,000 feet away but just because a strong recording signal and video connection would be nice plus that strong connection seems like a hell of an insurance policy itself (to get the drone back to LZ).

I fly in a rural area. But on the few occasions when I have been in the city I am very cautious. I usually go just straight up and then back down, just for some photos. Yes, you are right, there is a lot of interference from all kinds of sources, mainly the high power electric lines and radio transmitters. It can get pretty precarious. I have gone into atti mode with too much electromagnetic interference and that itself is a creepy experience, especially with a breeze and trying to land without hitting something. I do urge caution if you intend to fly in that environment. You might want to practice flying another drone in atti mode. Even with a tracker, how will you enter private property to retrieve your drone if it were to come down somewhere? With so many obstacles you need to be sure your launch area is wide and clear so if RTH kicks in the drone can land itself without hitting branches or power lines. Do, indeed, check the map before you take off. Check your minimum height requirement to clear everything like buildings, towers, trees, etc. Better yet, fly elsewhere where you are not over people and cars. Get some good liability insurance. Be sure you are registered with the FAA. Be prepared if someone accuses you of spying. Hope you see these issues clearly.
o

what about all these filters I see? Seems like on a tool that’s up in the air possibly shooting into brightigjt these might be a good idea to improve quality unless with the video editing software and tools they aren’t really necessary.
Here are a few videos that explain when/why you should use ND filters:

Reactions: Lykus and Allwine
Here are a few videos that explain when/why you should use ND filters:

Some great advice. Really liked the first video. So what brand of filters are the best I mean obviously a high quality optic, high quality piece of glass is going to make a difference.

And, if I might add....if
I got the fly more combo so I’ll have at least a couple extra batteries and a. Soft case and the multi charger. But you’re saying get a a rapid charging one? Any recommendations on which? The one I saw was like a power brick then the batteries connected like Christmas lights, can’t remember the brand...

I got the same one in the link... they seem to be available with a couple of different brand names but are obviously the same manufacturer. Apparently there are ones with digital readout now if you think it matters. There are some suspicious issues with build quality with these things -- ie they apparently don't have active grounds. and the circuit board may not be that well insulated from the case....so use caution. Mine says UL approved, but like a lot of China-sourced electronics, I'm suspicious. But the thing is, that they charge 3 batteries simultaneously plus the RC, and that's a big deal. The DJI charger - even with the hub -- only does things consecutively, so three batteries take three times as long. Plus, with the DJI hub, you have to have everything on a perfectly flat surface. This can be an issue if you're cramped for space -- ie in an RV.

what brand of filters are the best I mean obviously a high quality optic, high quality piece of glass is going to make a difference.
I've seen some of the brands listed here claim they have better glass (and maybe they really do), but I cannot tell the difference (optically) between any of them.

And, if I might add....if

I got the same one in the link... they seem to be available with a couple of different brand names but are obviously the same manufacturer. Apparently there are ones with digital readout now if you think it matters. There are some suspicious issues with build quality with these things -- ie they apparently don't have active grounds. and the circuit board may not be that well insulated from the case....so use caution. Mine says UL approved, but like a lot of China-sourced electronics, I'm suspicious. But the thing is, that they charge 3 batteries simultaneously plus the RC, and that's a big deal. The DJI charger - even with the hub -- only does things consecutively, so three batteries take three times as long. Plus, with the DJI hub, you have to have everything on a perfectly flat surface. This can be an issue if you're cramped for space -- ie in an RV.
Do you think there is a method to the DJI madness? Basically trickle charging and one at a time? I know some batteries (not sure about lithium-ion) but some batteries do better or at least it’s good to trickle charge them once and a while as opposed to the slow charge.

Do you think there is a method to the DJI madness? Basically trickle charging and one at a time? I know some batteries (not sure about lithium-ion) but some batteries do better or at least it’s good to trickle charge them once and a while as opposed to the slow charge.
Opposed to the quick charge*****

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair