DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Activation of New Mini 2 -- upgrade to firmware V. 1.04.0000 optional or forced?

zetetic

Reactions
I have a brand new in the box Mini 2 showing a packaging date of FEB2022, so presumably preloaded with firmware version 1.03.00. When I Activate this aircraft, via the remote, running DJI Fly 1.5.10, will I be forced to install firmware version 1.04.0000 in order to Activate? Or will I be simply presented with a prompt to upgrade, which I can ignore? I won't want to keep the aircraft if I cannot retain firmware version 1.03.00

The reason why I don't just try it to find out is that I am eligible for a no hassle refund, provided that the shrink wrap is intact.

Thank you!

I really don't know if as today DJI is forcing the firmware upgrade before activating the Mini 2. A couple of month ago they didn't (last time I activated one). If you are able to activate, remember to untick auto download firmware on Settings Menu just to be sure you don't get any new firmware.

Wish I wouldn't have downloaded their latest versions, all it's done has caused connectivity issues with my mini 2 and numerous others I talk to. Hopefully DJI gets smart and pulls those releases, from what I have been hearing, they are flooded with calls from users complaining about this latest garbage firmware.

Reactions: Jam0ne
The latest firmware update is laced with connectivity, range and other problems. DJI have also made it impossible to go back (downgrade) to 1.03.000 via the DJI Assistant 2 firmware hack. So before you update to 1.04.000, see this and read the comments:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne
Might be a solution on drone-hacks help FAQ page. Very first post on that page might help you out.
Drone-hacks already said that it is not downgradeable....

DJI needs to pull these crappy releases asap, sounds like they didn’t even thoroughly test this garbage before they pushed it out. What better way to get you to buy their new models! Schemers!

Drone-hacks already said that it is not downgradeable....
Yes but the question I think was does he have to upgrade to activate. Drone-hacks says no so this is why I directed the OP to the help page to find out how.

Reactions: Faster
Big problem would be getting a new drone with v1.04.0000 but if you get v1.03.0000 you are ok to register and NEVER UPGRADE!
Well until the OP finds out which firmware is on it out of the box I guess we will just have to wait and see. ;)

Big problem would be getting a new drone with v1.04.0000 but if you get v1.03.0000 you are ok to register and NEVER UPGRADE!

Yes. I noticed while shopping at a big box store this week, in an obscure suburb of a medium sized North American city, that the bricks and mortar stock is dated FEB2022. This indicates that DJI has very tight supply chain logistics, and suggests that it's now or never to buy a downgradeable new Mini 2 from an authorized vendor.

Yes. I noticed while shopping at a big box store this week, in an obscure suburb of a medium sized North American city, that the bricks and mortar stock is dated FEB2022. Thit indicates that DJI has very tight supply chain logistics, and suggests that it's now or never to buy a downgradeable new Mini 2 from an authorized vendor.
Or DH could get the way for downgrading. It happened with the Air 2 and Air 2S, it took some time but at the end they found a way for downgrading their firmware. Hoping the same for the Mini 2.

Reactions: Jam0ne and zetetic
Tengo un Mini 2 nuevo en la caja que muestra una fecha de empaque de FEB2022, por lo que presumiblemente precargado con la versión de firmware 1.03.00. Cuando active esta aeronave, a través del control remoto, ejecutando DJI Fly 1.5.10, ¿me veré obligado a instalar la versión de firmware 1.04.0000 para activarla? ¿O simplemente se me presentará un aviso para actualizar, que puedo ignorar? No querré quedarme con el avión si no puedo conservar la versión de firmware 1.03.00

La razón por la que no lo pruebo simplemente para averiguarlo es que soy elegible para un reembolso sin problemas, siempre que la envoltura retráctil esté intacta.

¡Gracias!

Reactions: Geani66 and Jam0ne
Don’t shoot the messenger here, but I’m curious… There must be many thousands of Mini 2s flying world-wide. If there was a fundamental issue with the new firmware, why are the forums not full of people complaining (and they certainly don’t seem to be)? The number of individuals saying they have issues is very small, comparatively speaking. I don’t doubt that some people have problems but most appear not to. Puzzling.

Reactions: Pile and BigAl07
Don’t shoot the messenger here, but I’m curious… There must be many thousands of Mini 2s flying world-wide. If there was a fundamental issue with the new firmware, why are the forums not full of people complaining (and they certainly don’t seem to be)? The number of individuals saying they have issues is very small, comparatively speaking. I don’t doubt that some people have problems but most appear not to. Puzzling.
I might be wrong but I suspect the main reason for not wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest firmware is that it cannot be hacked. Basically rolling it back to a version that will allow drone-works software to perform its magic. Just a thought. 🤔

Reactions: BigAl07 and Faster
I might be wrong but I suspect the main reason for not wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest firmware is that it cannot be hacked. Basically rolling it back to a version that will allow drone-works software to perform its magic. Just a thought. 🤔
I have the same impression.

Reactions: cc_jim
The latest firmware update is laced with connectivity, range and other problems. DJI have also made it impossible to go back (downgrade) to 1.03.000 via the DJI Assistant 2 firmware hack. So before you update to 1.04.000, see this and read the comments:
Not once did he say what the KP was on the days he flew !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost