DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track a dog

Moving Zen

Reactions
Has anybody been able to active track a dog? I have no problems active tracking people or cars but can't get it to track my dog. I've tried multiple times and have had the green icon pop up on my dog a couple times but it doesn't last long enough to get things working. My dog is about 75 lbs so he's not small. Any advice on getting this to work? I play frisbee with my dog daily and would like to get some video from a different perspective. If you've gotten it to work, was a specific distance or angle that you used?

I've had it work exactly once (on a friend's MP) and the dog was just walking. When I've tried it on my MP as soon as the dog took off running active track lost her. I'm pretty sure the sampling rate is not quick enough on either MP or MA to detect the sudden motion or change of shape when my dog transitions from slow to fast.

Reactions: Moving Zen
Difficult due to speed and their 2D profile changes as they turn different directions. Try putting something with a bright color on him to enhance the contrast so the drone follows the color rather than the dog.

Difficult due to speed and their 2D profile changes as they turn different directions. Try putting something with a bright color on him to enhance the contrast so the drone follows the color rather than the dog.
I'm going to give that a try. I want to get a video like this but with the active track profile look. I think it would be really sweet.

Would active track be able track a bright red light? My dogs have human headlamps on their collars for night runs with a impressively bright red light mode. Against a green grass background would that help autotrack? Is there a precise technical list of the parameters autotrack uses?

It just wants the tracked subject, to stand out from its surroundings. High contrast. Lights could be an answer?? A Good test!

You have drawn a box around your dog in the app instead of letting it automatically try to pick out a subject?

I’ve used active track on my Cairn terrier. It worked for the short time I tried it but due to the amount on trees surrounding my house I was afraid to keep going so I stopped it rather quickly. I’d like to try it out again when I have more room to operate. It did take a few tries to get the drone to lock onto him but it does work. I had to draw a box around him like Jeff suggests in the post above.

I used Active Track on another Air and it worked supprisingly good, also with the small dog of my girlfriend. If you don't get the green icon try drawing a rectangle around your dog, that should do the trick.

i am having a similar problem at the moment. As part of a local club we train Malinois and Dutch Herders , active track works fine while they are healing as part of obedience but if they go from a stopped position to a run or jump it is hard for the mavic pro to not lose the subject. i am playing with the height etc to see if the field of view can help. Also i am thinking that if the dog is at the back of the frame and the drone is looking in the direction of travel that the drone may have more of a chance to track the dog initially. i have had some initial luck with trace and then circling in the direction i know the exercise will take the dog. but not exactly fool proof.

I'm going to give that a try. I want to get a video like this but with the active track profile look. I think it would be really sweet.

Me too - One big reason for getting a drone is wanted to capture our fur girls :) can't get the green icon to follow them.. will try bright color on them next :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada