DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track glitches, quick shot issues, and odd POI behavior

cbaquol

Reactions
Hey guys

I am using a Mavic 2 Pro with the smart controller(not so smart is it? I've got a whole separate set of issues with that) all firmware is current and I am using the latest DJI go 4. I have had this aircraft for maybe three months now and ever since I first got it I have always felt a little disconnected from it and don't feel as confident flying it as I do with other Mavic 2s or RC aircraft in general (I have been flying RC helis for about 10 years). I have recalibrated compass, IMU, vision sensors, and also reflashed firmware multiple times with no luck. There is nothing obstructing the gimbal and all the sensors are clean.

Here are some of my symptoms that occur in active track, point of interest, and quick shot. All of which use sensors which makes me lean toward this being a hardware issue.

Frequent subject lost errors, even when the subject isn't even moving followed by erratic behavior by the gimbal I suspect because it is searching for the subject

Yesterday was a new one, at first the aircraft started to yaw rapidly on its own while staying stationary in point of interest mode rather than circling the subject, then decided to increase the radius and appeared normal

In active track mode, in any of the three modes, control inputs on the sticks are completely wrong. Somebody told me this might be by design in a intelligent flight control setting but I get to find anything about that. Giving the aircraft right role moves it either forward or backwards and giving the aircraft back elevator moves it on the roll axis one way or another. And it is not consistent or relative to the subject.

Quick shot Helix do not accurately circle the subject, rather seems like it bounces off or is being stretched with a rubber band.

Here are a few examples of what is happening. I have submitted a support request to DJI however in the meantime I'm hoping one of you are able to help.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: TheRock
Almost appears to be stick movement in some of the flights where there shouldn’t be as a lot of the flight modes do nothing need stick input - do a stick calibration then try a poi again as that’s the the simplest one - stick calibration may solve this.

I forgot to mention that I have done multiple stick calibrations as well.

It's hard to tell since your videos don't say which mode was used.
The one with the sign looks like you have a gimbal issue.

You probably have the original controller. Why not try the scenarios with that one to exclude an issue with the smart controller?
Also: Which App Version do you have on the SC?
The latest available Go4 is 4.3.24 but you won't get this automatically on the SC yet. You can install it though by getting the APK.

It's hard to tell since your videos don't say which mode was used.
The one with the sign looks like you have a gimbal issue.

You probably have the original controller. Why not try the scenarios with that one to exclude an issue with the smart controller?
Also: Which App Version do you have on the SC?
The latest available Go4 is 4.3.24 but you won't get this automatically on the SC yet. You can install it though by getting the APK.

Sorry, I made that post from my phone earlier today and was a little light on the details. I was one of the original folks on the dji forum to get 4.3.24 installed on my smart controller, the new version of the app didn't make a difference. I have used a regular controller as well with the same issues.

I forgot to mention that once I enter active track mode, I cannot change back to normal mode by traditional means. If I go into the intelligent flight menu and choose normal after being in active track, the menu disappears as if it accepted my input, but when it returns back to the camera view, it is still in active track. The work around is to flip into sport mode, go into the menu and choose normal, and then out of sport mode.

I also forgot to mention that the aircraft has never been crashed or damaged in any way. It lives it's life in a hard pelican case when it isnt flying and I take extremely good care of my equipment.

Videos;

The sign was spotlight active track.

the water tower and country club were both quickshot helix.

the "50" was point of interest.

thanks again for the help.

It might be that you first have to cancel the execution of IFM (Intelligent Flight Mode) before you can fully exit out of it. I bet because Active Track is still enaged and operating, it goes back to showing that mode.

Going into sport mode is one of the quick ways to cancel the execution of an IFM. Hitting the white X in the red circle is the "normal" way out.

Incidentally, they finally have a separate function for pushing the 5P button. In the past pushing it inwas the same as the setting you chose pushing down. Now it is a quick way to get to the list of flight modes.

Thanks for the tip Dan, but as soon as I start to observe unintended behavior, I immediately click the red x to abort whatever it is attempting to do. Even still it will not allow me back into normal mode without first switching over to sport then back to P.

Also why haven't I heard back from DJI on this? It's been two days since I created a service ticket with them and I've not heard a single peep.

Yes, mine does that the majority of the time too. I have tried flying at different heights and distances and using pretty unmistakeable subjects (like your white water tower) and it still goes off the rails most of the time. I wind up using "point-of-interest" for most of these now. Some of the pre-programmed maneuvers are just fine but the boomerang and circle are really hit and miss, with the circling one pretty sketchy. Let me know what they say but I have just worked around it most of the time or I just use a portion of the clip instead of the whole thing.

I wish the quickshots would tell you how much space you need rather than just saying "be sure you have sufficient space".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada