DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track with Snowmobiles

jpmassey

Reactions
Anybody had any luck with active track and snowmobiles? It does not consider it a 'vehicle' and won't follow. I emailed DJI, which was very unhelpful. They said it should work, and try in different scenarios. I've tried in bright light, low light, cloudy, etc, no change.

DJI: "Our new ActiveTrack comes with AI to determine what it will follow. Note however, it's rather particular per what qualifies as a proper vehicle worthy of tracking. It has attitude—we're working on that."

Im not a fan of the active track nor the video that comes from it, Its boring.

Your better off to place the drone in the Optimum position for your ride, and if you do something with action in it , you will have your drone in the best spot to capture it.

in other words once the thrill of a drone struggling to keep up with you is over, its time to get serious and plot your course for the best action shots.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain and Snow

The Active Track is only made to track people or cars, everything else is hit or miss.

Anybody had any luck with active track and snowmobiles? It does not consider it a 'vehicle' and won't follow. I emailed DJI, which was very unhelpful. They said it should work, and try in different scenarios. I've tried in bright light, low light, cloudy, etc, no change.
It probably more the color contrast more than the lighting. Maybe wearing a bright yellow or orange safety vest might help? You'll need to clearly stand out from the all while background, since the snowmobile itself isn't a recognizable object.

It probably more the color contrast more than the lighting. Maybe wearing a bright yellow or orange safety vest might help? You'll need to clearly stand out from the all while background, since the snowmobile itself isn't a recognizable object.

I wear a orange jacket. It's so sensitive that it usually loses me if I just put on my helmet.

Im not a fan of the active track nor the video that comes from it, Its boring.

Your better off to place the drone in the Optimum position for your ride, and if you do something with action in it , you will have your drone in the best spot to capture it.

in other words once the thrill of a drone struggling to keep up with you is over, its time to get serious and plot your course for the best action shots.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain and Snow

I do big climbs, and was hoping it would follow me up the mountain. I only get the shots I'm looking for if I bring a friend that's a decent pilot. I've I'm just doing something local like a jump, then yeah, a stationary shot works fine.

I wear a orange jacket. It's so sensitive that it usually loses me if I just put on my helmet.
It probably doesn't recognize you as a person with the helmet. They need to add helmeted snowmobilers to their recognition database! LOL!

It didn’t do too well with a yellow hot rod either.

It didn’t do too well with a yellow hot rod either.
Did well, until it ended up behind a tree, that it had to avoid hitting! Better to avoid the tree and lose the subject than keep you in the center of the frame and then hit the tree! It has its priorities straight!

Yup! This clip was originally to show obstacle avoidance working. The question was why did it swing around to that side instead of following it down the road on the same side. During that shoot it consistently lost the car (I should put some of those clips together). I ended up doing most of it the old school way with the sticks.

Was the first (and only) time trying ActiveTrack, so it probably would have been better with more practice!

This is how it worked out (the last scene is ActiveTrack losing track…)

Did well, until it ended up behind a tree, that it had to avoid hitting! Better to avoid the tree and lose the subject than keep you in the center of the frame and then hit the tree! It has its priorities straight!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
One of the reason I bought my Mavic Pro 2 to capture video of me in the playing in backcountry on my snowmobile using the active track. All I can say is man, I’m disappointed. Even in a wide open meadow, with a dark grey sled and me wearing all black gear (do colors get any more contrasted than black on white?!?!?) the drone cannot track me. I also had planned on shooting video of myself ripping down the trails on a mountain bike with the active track, but have a feeling it’s not going to work so well.
Unfortunately, I think I may have bought the wrong drone from what I’ve seen. Looks like the Skydio 2 might be a better option for what you and I are trying to accomplish.

BTW, where in Colorado are you? I’m in SW Colorado. Maybe we could just go shoot video of each other, haha!

Reactions: WhiteyJr
I haven't seen one active track video that would have me consider using that mode. It always has bad framing and jerky movments

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
One of the reason I bought my Mavic Pro 2 to capture video of me in the playing in backcountry on my snowmobile using the active track. All I can say is man, I’m disappointed. Even in a wide open meadow, with a dark grey sled and me wearing all black gear (do colors get any more contrasted than black on white?!?!?) the drone cannot track me. I also had planned on shooting video of myself ripping down the trails on a mountain bike with the active track, but have a feeling it’s not going to work so well.
Unfortunately, I think I may have bought the wrong drone from what I’ve seen. Looks like the Skydio 2 might be a better option for what you and I are trying to accomplish.

BTW, where in Colorado are you? I’m in SW Colorado. Maybe we could just go shoot video of each other, haha!
From what I have seen Skydio 2 is absolutely made for what you do plus it has the beacon which makes it really rock solid regardless of what you are travelling in or wearing.

Hello. Have you got to track snowmobiles. I can't get it to follow the snowmobile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N