DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ActiveTracking while on MTB

Cwilliams79

Reactions
Anyone have any experience with the MP tracking them while mountain biking? I’ve tried on multiple occasions from different heights and at different trails around Dallas TX, and it loses track of me in any kind of dense(ish) foliage. Even during fall and winter when there’s not many leaves to block the rider. Any tips or am I just SOL??

Pretty sure "dense(ish) foliage might be the clue. You're best bet is to wear very high contrast colors and hope it can still see you.

One guy was wearing a black sweatshirt on pavement and complained the drone was worthless. :rolleyes:

I figured a neon green shirt would suffice, but I guess any amount green leaves can interfere. I tried following my buddy who had a bright red shirt on, but I guess you can’t have anything between the camera and rider, no matter the colors. ActiveTrack is out I guess.

Green actually might not work. Something with a lot of contrast with the background. But you also need to keep a realistic expectation of what it can do. Tracking a moving object through a dense forest is not realistic.

Reactions: JoMaMa
Touché. I figured bc there were mostly open sections, and it was 60-80’ in the air, it would pick us back up as we came out of the tree lines... but that was a negative. Thanks for the input.

But I bet you can get some great Active Track footage in a different environment. Don't give up just because it didn't work in one area.

I got it for MTB and snowboarding; can’t fly it around snowboarding parks, and most of the trails around take you in and out of tree lines, so for now it’ll have to be flown by hand.

Reactions: projockey
DJI Active Track will always be limited by line of sight issues and fast direction changes of the target. This has been rehashed many times over on this forum from day one. Forget all the latest Active Track improvements, or things like contrasting clothing, etc, it’s still pretty crude.

If you want to really upgrade your MP (or Air or Phantom) “follow-me” capabilities:

1. get a copy of Autopilot
2. Make sure your controller device is IOS with a fast chip and built in barometer (IPhone 7, 8, or X). Required by Autopilot
3. Get a small weather/impact resistant case (Nanuk 904 or equivalent), to stuff your controller/iPhone into while riding. It won’t be phone size small, but it will be small enough to work and still withstand some rough use.
4. Train/practice. Autopilot has a higher learning curve than the Go app or Litchi, but it’s not that bad

It really does work, and until DJI comes up with something better than object recognition based tracking software (notwithstanding the Skydio approach) nothing currently beats a barometer compensating gps based electronic leash.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121