DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adding a Firehouse Arc II 4LED Strobe to identify M2P front & rear in the distance

f13dfx

Reactions
This may sound a bit dumb or maybe I just need new glasses (or contact lenses) but would adding a strobe such as the one in my subject line be enough to help me identify the direction my M2P is flying (in particular bright sunlit conditions) by attaching the strobe on the rear vertical panel of the main body? I’m just getting used to flying the M2P but most of it is maybe 100 meters away at the most. Wanted to extend the range of VLOS flights & thought this might help my confidence if I can clearly know that if I see the bright flashing strobe, then it is flying away from me & if I cannot see the flashing strobe, then it is flying towards me. Hope this makes sense.

Any thoughts or better advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: kadras
Strobe lights are visible during the day, but they are less visible in bright, sunlit conditions. Firehouse ARC lights would be a great choice for those conditions since they contain four LEDs. I don't think you're going to find anything brighter.

If you decide to buy them and would like to mount them with a removable mount (instead of using a Velcro product like 3M Dual Lock), I make these Firehouse ARC mounts for the Mavic 2:

They are available in various colors and can be easily/quickly removed from the Mavic arms as needed.

This may sound a bit dumb or maybe I just need new glasses (or contact lenses) but would adding a strobe such as the one in my subject line be enough to help me identify the direction my M2P is flying (in particular bright sunlit conditions) by attaching the strobe on the rear vertical panel of the main body? I’m just getting used to flying the M2P but most of it is maybe 100 meters away at the most. Wanted to extend the range of VLOS flights & thought this might help my confidence if I can clearly know that if I see the bright flashing strobe, then it is flying away from me & if cannot see the flashing strobe, then it is flying towards me. Hope this makes sense.

Any thoughts or better advice would be greatly appreciated!
Yes. I have the Arc II 4 LED strobe mounted on the rear vertical section of my MP1 for the same reason. I've seen it many hundreds of feet away during daylight. Depending on the background (dark clouds or terrain), the range can be farther than you would think. I wear glasses, too.

If you mount the strobe so it's output is facing forward, does it interfere with stills or videos?

If you mount the strobe so it's output is facing forward, does it interfere with stills or videos?
Most people note there is no interference. You'd certainly see the light if it was able to reflect off of something (like fog or street signs).

Reactions: JAW
Good to know.....fortunately I'm more concerned about photos as opposed to videos.

Me too- so I put mine front and rear facing on top to be sure it never shows up in photos or videos. I have used my drone to take closeups of cliff walls during the day and try not to even get its shadow in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAW
You probably are aware that you can use the direction from home point triangle in the Go4 app ( point to home will orient towards home) however one way to establish LOS orientation is to first roll ...say right, if the Drone moves to the left the camera lens is facing you, to the right its facing away. If you cannot see sideways movement its orientation is thereabouts 90 degrees so yaw 90 degrees and repeat the first step. Of course the strobe would certainly add visibility to this manoeuvre.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair