DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Additional GPS type question

rockwind1

Reactions
As you're flying your drone around is there a way to mark like a waypoint directly below it so that later on you could input the way point into your Garman GPS and hike to that exact spot?

Reactions: BogSpores
As you're flying your drone around is there a way to mark like a waypoint directly below it so that later on you could input the way point into your Garman GPS and hike to that exact spot?

Others may have better options but what you could do is take a picture of the spot. Then if you have a look at your flight record, it will show the point where the picture was taken.

Jenee's got the answer - hats off to you. I would add that the Mavic geotags individual images, so you can get the info by looking at the file properties on your computer, or by importing the images using DJI Go, then using a geotag aware photo app on your phone/tablet.

If you didn't do a photograph, your drone also records a log with continuous GPS location so you can get the same information, with a little work, after the fact. If you enable video cache, you get the time from the cached video, then look at your flight log to get the location on the map - not sure you can get the exact lat/lon that way but you can get close enough to match up on google maps. (Just remember to record video!)

As for your exact question - if you wanted, you could put the Mavic in waypoint mode, and record individual waypoints on the map. These might be a little awkward to actually use as a GPS destination for hiking.

I'm not experienced with the Litchi app (a 3rd party phone/tablet app similar to DJI Go 4), but I believe it will record the waypoints and export them later as text files.

Hope you find something really cool to hike to, like a dino skeleton, or a lost gold mine with tons of loot!

Reactions: BogSpores
I have the same question about marking waypoints while in flight... was hoping there would be a way to program C1 or C2 switch to perform the function... This feature would greatly enhance my Agriculture business...

Take a close look at Litchee or Autopilot. I would not be surprised if they offer this capability directly.

What is lacking in the geotagged photo functionality? would that do the job?

in my opinion, the geotagged function will work BUT,,,it is a bit of a hassle, cause you then have to write it down, turn on your garmin (in my case) and then input it

but i will look in to the other apps. thanks Jenee for a good solution!

i guess i had hoped i could sort of select a way point, copy it , and put it on my basecamp app

or even create a track with multiple waypoints that you could save as a xml file then send to basecamp.

Basecamp will add EXIF info to images - maybe it will also read them.

In the Litchi App ( In Waypoint Mode ) you can register a waypoint at the Drone's position and then save the file for retrieval later. The C1 or C2 buttons on the remote can be programmed to select a new waypoint when in waypoint flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69