DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adelaide

Hey mate,

I'm from Adelaide and recently got my Mavic but unfortunately haven't had much of a chance to fly it yet. Do you know of any good places or POI to fly it? And whats your experience of flying it around Adelaide?

Alan

Hey mate,

Ah nice as! Yeah I try to get out in the country side most times to get out of the city and find some interesting things to fly around. If you are after city flights I reckon the best spot is Victoria Park on Fullarton Road. I fly in the red circle and there is a car park close by in the blue circle.

Anywhere along the coast is good, shipwrecks on Garden Island and I have been to Myponga Reserve which is my favorite spot!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: lamie254
Cool, thanks for the info! I'll have to check out your suggestions when i get the chance, might even see you at Myponga Reserve. I'm thinking Kangaroo Island might be a cool place to fly around.

Have you had any bad interactions when flying your drone so far?

Yeah kangaroo Island would be great! Myponga is good because its just so peaceful and the wetlands are great specially in a sunny day.

Ah not as yet but the they do have a bad rep aye! What I try do when I fly is remain hidden / private so nobody can see me then just fly the drone out to the spot I want to get. It's pretty good fun, you'll love yours!

Hi Guys I'm also in Adelaide just got mine a week ago and love it.... first big run down along the coast at O'sullivan beach boat ramp on Monday and all went very well. going to be enjoying getting out and doing some exploring.. really want to shot the crane down at brighton at the moment at the new development.

Im also in Adelaide, I only brought my Mavic a couple of weeks ago. I did get a chance to have a run around down Yorkes over the long weekend which was good and got some nice footage of a salmon school and some dolphins going all mother nature on each other

I'm from Adelaide too. Been flying DJI for 3 years. You could say I'm addicted - bought almost every new release since the Phantom Vision 2. I must say that the little Mavic is the best all rounder that I've had. I wonder if DJI will better it ???? - they always do though.
Recently bought the goggles but after a couple of weeks the novelty of them is already wearing off.
Public perception of drones has certainly changed. Originally everyone was curious - now most seem anti drones - some very agro. Therefore now tend to fly away from people. Used to love flying in the Hallett Cove conservation park but the Govt banned all that late last year.
Now enjoying it whilst I can before the screws are tightened.
Good luck and enjoy

Reactions: ghostoperative
Oh they banned drones in Hallet Cove?

Its good to see a few SA Mavic Pro operators out there!

Yep - from September last year it's illegal to fly drones (or UAVs) in or over any national park or conservation park in south Aus.
$75 on the spot fine plus victim of crimes levy. ☹️☹️

Reactions: regandunstan
Far out I didnt know this. Bit of a pitty really because there are some nice quiet reserves out there. Wonder how its enforced? Police getting a call I guess?

Would be up to National Parks to enforce it not the police. Haven't tested the system I guess a user of the park or volunteer could also take a photo of you flying and dob you in.
All disappointing really because there are some great spots in NPs to fly.
Other opition is to move to Qld - I think you can fly in their Parks!!!!

I'm from Adelaide too. Been flying DJI for 3 years. You could say I'm addicted - bought almost every new release since the Phantom Vision 2. I must say that the little Mavic is the best all rounder that I've had. I wonder if DJI will better it ???? - they always do though.
Recently bought the goggles but after a couple of weeks the novelty of them is already wearing off.
Public perception of drones has certainly changed. Originally everyone was curious - now most seem anti drones - some very agro. Therefore now tend to fly away from people. Used to love flying in the Hallett Cove conservation park but the Govt banned all that late last year.
Now enjoying it whilst I can before the screws are tightened.
Good luck and enjoy

How about along the Hallet Cove coastline? Just off the actual park border.

Old-ish thread, but good to continue the conversation . . .

I think the Hallett Cove CP boundary is into the waterline a little, but possible I guess if standing down on say the Hallett Cove Beach sand, think the rocks out front would be park and technically off limits. ** See edit below !!

I'm so tempted to fly some areas with common sense, but want to do the right thing.
Actually flew Simpson Desert in June, but in the more remote Simpson Desert in the NT.
SA park is off limits, it's ridiculous, so isolated, few if any animals seen apart form a few birds and dingoes.

QLD as noted has NO bans at all in their parks as yet, following CASA regs, and keeping a decent distance from wildlife.
I'll be flying up there a fair bit in the SEQ Nat Pks from a couple of weeks time :)

A blanket ban is so easy for authorities to introduce, they have taken the easy ban route, rather than seeing how people with drones behave.
I can see how some parks drone use would be intrusive, annoying to other visitors, scare animals if too close etc.
Eg. you wouldn't fly Belair NP on a weekend with hundreds of people around, but weekday some spots would be no issues to use a drone responsibly.

** I just had a Google of HC CP, and you know what ?
It looks like the foreshore, and even the paths up top, are actually out of the marked CP boundary !

HCCP.jpg

The map that you have shown is correct. Dept of Environment have promoted an app called "Avenza Maps" which provides tracking via your phone of where you are in the sa National Parks. So a lot of the path that runs along the front is not in the park. Having said that I guess technically you could fly from those parts of the park provided you didn't fly back over the park but beware there are some park volunteers who are very possessive of their park - grrrrr!!! I used to love flying there up until late last year - now I just avoid the area to keep the peace.

Yes I've noticed this border also in the "Can I Fly There App" which I'm trying to confirm. I've also sent an email to the parks licensing body asking the same question. I hope they get back to me soon. Thanks for the tips! Anyone else who is from Adelaide who knows any hassle-free flight locations (in SA) they can share, that would be amazing! I just want to practice flying my new Mavic Pro. Cheers.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hi all,
Bit late to the thread but I'm also in Adelaide. Had the Mavic (1st craft) for a couple of months now, but only have about 4 flights up my sleeve due to the crap weather here of late. Hopefully I am heading out Port Wakefield way this weekend to film all the canola fields that are in full bloom. Also intend on heading to the Barossa to film the beautiful towns and country side out there sometime soon. So much to learn with this thing and still a bit nervous when she's up in the air. Loving it though!! Cheers.

Yes I've noticed this border also in the "Can I Fly There App" which I'm trying to confirm. I've also sent an email to the parks licensing body asking the same question. I hope they get back to me soon. Thanks for the tips! Anyone else who is from Adelaide who knows any hassle-free flight locations (in SA) they can share, that would be amazing! I just want to practice flying my new Mavic Pro. Cheers.

Right down the end of Sigma Rd Lonsdale (on the northern side of the Desal Plant) you can fly without any hassles.

Reactions: ghostoperative
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent