DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adjust the antenna on my Mavic Air 2?????

Xooterpust

Reactions
I was flying my Air 2 done about a half mile away and got a message that it was getting out of range and I needed to adjust my antennae. I don't see any antennae to adjust. If the Mavic Air 2 has antennae, they weren't in the box it came in, so I'm assuming they are internal. How do I adjust them?

Also, isn't the range supposed to be about 6 miles? Why was I getting out of range at half a mile while over saltmarsh and waterways?

• Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
I don't see any antennae to adjust. If the Mavic Air 2 has antennae, they weren't in the box it came in
Are you serious? Or just pulling everyone's leg? :)

Maybe you should read the owners manual?
Also, isn't the range supposed to be about 6 miles?
And if you seriously want to fly 6 miles away, maybe you should read the FAA regs too.

And if you seriously want to fly 6 miles away, maybe you should read the FAA regs too.
The OP never said or implied he wanted to fly 6 miles away. He said he was flying 2640 feet away, presumably within VLOS, and was getting a range and antenna adjustment message, which a drone capable of flying 6 miles away ought to be able to handle. The antenna was probably just off axis to the drone.

The antennas are shown in this pic and need to be facing the drone with little to no obstructions. If you don't have actual visual line of sight your range is cut drastically and if you do BUT have power lines or fencing in that same pathway you will also have problems. Flying from inside of any metal enclosure, such as a car, can also impede signal strength. I can regularly get quality signals at or near advertised distances, with spotters, in the right circumstances but throw a dense line of trees or a high voltage line right in front of me and I'll get less than a quarter mile203159zn0h9anlo4guahnz.png

Reactions: Xooterpust
Just keep the antenna pointed in the direction of the aircraft. That is the adjustment needed.
Thanks. I was a tad confused about that, but I THINK the antenna was pointed at the drone. Maybe not, because from about 3,550 feet I really could not see the drone itself. The line of sight, however, was completely unimpeded. I could tell where it was by the image on my phone.

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Haha
Just keep the antenna pointed in the direction of the aircraft. That is the adjustment needed.
Thanks. I was a tad confused about that, but I THINK the antenna was pointed at the drone. Maybe not, because from

There is no owner's manual. I only wish there were one.

The OP never said or implied he wanted to fly 6 miles away. He said he was flying 2640 feet away, presumably within VLOS, and was getting a range and antenna adjustment message, which a drone capable of flying 6 miles away ought to be able to handle. The antenna was probably just off axis to the drone.

I've attached a screenshot of the Mavic Air 2's specs. My impression was that maximum distance was about 6 miles, but 18.5 km is closer to 11.5 miles. THIS is where I got the notion of how far it was supposed to fly. I never intended to fly it that far, but it's why I was puzzled by losing signal at 3,500 feet.

Attachments

• Specs.jpg
    Specs.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 11
I was flying my Air 2 done about a half mile away and got a message that it was getting out of range and I needed to adjust my antennae. I don't see any antennae to adjust. If the Mavic Air 2 has antennae, they weren't in the box it came in, so I'm assuming they are internal. How do I adjust them?

Also, isn't the range supposed to be about 6 miles? Why was I getting out of range at half a mile while over saltmarsh and waterways?
You adjust them by changing the direction of the remote itself. You should be pointing the top of the remote directly at the drone.

Reactions: Pallidin

I actually had no intentions of flying it that far, but what would be wrong with that? Other than risking the loss of your drone, I mean.

Last edited:

Were you in sight range at 1/2 mile? 6 miles is marketing and not a single human being can see a drone at 6 miles. I'd suggest taking the TRUST exam that you have to take eventually anyway to understand some of the most basic rules of drone flying. Will help keep you out of trouble.

For antennae adjustment simply point the end of the arm extension that hold phone or tablet (that is the antennae) towards the location of the drone and preferably up and not down towards ground as can happen - esp with a tablet. If still getting message, need to bring it back before you lose it.

I know how every one feels about long range flights and VLOS, but some of us do it. When I do it, and get an "adjust your antennae" warning, I make sure I'm pointing the remote at the drone and often increase my altitude. To get to the 4-5 mile mark I have to go over 400ft AGL. Yup, I know, Don't say it. But this is how it's done.

Reactions: thispilothere
Thank you! Because one didn't come in the box, I assumed they didn't have one and wanted everyone to rely on Youtube videos. Which is what I did.
Like me.. ? in the upper right of your DJI Start screen you'll see. ACADEMY another good start

• Wow
Thanks. I was a tad confused about that, but I THINK the antenna was pointed at the drone. Maybe not, because from about 3,550 feet I really could not see the drone itself. The line of sight, however, was completely unimpeded. I could tell where it was by the image on my phone.
WOW! Highly suggest you do the TRUST test now. Seems you may not have read the instructions and simply popped the drone up straight from the box.

You said you could not "SEE" the drone visually with your eyes. That is what VLOS is per the FAA. Phone / tablet has nothing to do with Line of Sight or you thinking you know where it is.

We all begin somewhere, but it is imperative you understand basic flight rules for drones. It's to keep you out of trouble and not create more restrictive rules for all of us - which does happen.

The antennas are shown in this pic and need to be facing the drone with little to no obstructions. If you don't have actual visual line of sight your range is cut drastically and if you do BUT have power lines or fencing in that same pathway you will also have problems. Flying from inside of any metal enclosure, such as a car, can also impede signal strength. I can regularly get quality signals at or near advertised distances, with spotters, in the right circumstances but throw a dense line of trees or a high voltage line right in front of me and I'll get less than a quarter mileView attachment 133091
Thanks. I thought it as asking me to do something with an external antenna (or antennae).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun