DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adjustment of Polarizing ND filter

Made2Phly

Reactions
I have Polar Pro ND filters. The white dot orientation is to determine polarized or not. So two questions:
1) Is white dot at 12.00 position non-polarized? and
2) Does one rotate 90 degrees to change it, i.e., white dot at 3:00, or 180 degrees, i.e., white dot at 6:00 position.

Phrased differently, at what clock position should the white dot be for polarized vs. unpolarized?

...Phrased differently, at what clock position should the white dot be for polarized vs. unpolarized?
For the maximum polarization effect, the white dot needs to be "pointed" toward the sun. This is easy to do with a hand held camera but takes planning for a drone. If I do not have a particular shot in mind I just place the dot straight up. Another problem with polarizing filters for drones is that while panning the polarizing effect will change as the sun angle changes. This will make the sky lighten and darken while panning which makes it more difficult in post-production of video. For this reason, non-polarized filters are recommended more for video to get consistent results.

It is good to hear that Polar Pro is now marking their PL filters. I had to mark mine myself.

I have Polar Pro ND filters. The white dot orientation is to determine polarized or not. So two questions:
1) Is white dot at 12.00 position non-polarized? and
2) Does one rotate 90 degrees to change it, i.e., white dot at 3:00, or 180 degrees, i.e., white dot at 6:00 position.

Phrased differently, at what clock position should the white dot be for polarized vs. unpolarized?
Polarising filters are commonly recommended on the forum but they are more trouble than they are worth on a drone.
Too use it properly, you should have the white dot aligned toward the sun.
But that's only good when the drone is pointing in one particular direction.
Turn the drone and the filter is going to be set wrong and give unwanted results like dark blotches on your sky.

Reactions: Made2Phly
The best way to use a polarizing filter is to look through it before takeoff while looking at the scene you want to shoot from the same angle that the drone will be flying. Rotate the polarizer until you get the darkening of the specula highlights you want, and then use that orientation on the drone.

Polarising filters are commonly recommended on the forum but they are more trouble than they are worth on a drone.
Too use it properly, you should have the white dot aligned toward the sun.
But that's only good when the drone is pointing in one particular direction.
Turn the drone and the filter is going to be set wrong and give unwanted results like dark blotches on your sky.
I find the best thing to do is to view your screen (iPad or phone) while turning the filter dial and you will quickly find where the polarization is maximal and minimal. Do this while pointing the drone to the subject before starting up the props. Another way to test it is to just hold the filter up to your eye in various orientations and see which orientation makes the sky darker blue. This can be done with any polarizer.

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e