DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice about getting drone

Growingcow

Reactions
Hi all, im new and I'm looking for some advice about buying a drone. I'm worried that I won't get to fly it or won't be able to fly it because of rules and regulations. I won't be flying it more than 30 - 50 feet high and no more than 20 - 30 foot away. Most of the time it'll be in hover mode more than anything. I'm using the drone just to grab videos of me/wife and my daughter playing when we are in the park or she's riding her bike. 50% of the time we'll be filming in an area designated area to fly.

The other 50% Will be be flying in local neighborhood basketball courts (when it is not crowded with other people/only us ) around the city. In those places i won't be flying higher 10 -15 feet and not farther than 10 -15, again mostly in hover mode. I won't be doing aerials or sky line footages.

I will bring it with me when we go to national parks around hiking trails and stuff. Usage will be same, hover mode and not much actually flying around.

Based on what I am doing would you say I should opt for a drone? My biggest worry is that all the rules and regulations will reduce my drone down to nothing more than an expensive paperweight

You may wanna look into a spark, its built for exactly what you plan to do.

Reactions: Stride8
Depends on how long you want it airborne at a time. Mavic is about 30 min if you're mostly hovering.

Would also check the regulations on National Parks in whatever area you plan on using it.

Would a solid tripod with a height extension work for what you want to do?

I am leaning toward the spark but my worry is the usage of it at where I am. I live in nyc and they are pretty strict. I'm doing quick short bursts of flight for video grabs.

Yeah i read that drones are not allowed in national parks but I figured that was because people were doing like aerial and stuff. My thing was to basically let the drone hover above us 10-15 and get s nice video grab of my family. The beauty of a drone (spark) is that it's lighter than a tripod with extension.

I am leaning toward the spark but my worry is the usage of it at where I am. I live in nyc and they are pretty strict. I'm doing quick short bursts of flight for video grabs.

Yeah i read that drones are not allowed in national parks but I figured that was because people were doing like aerial and stuff. My thing was to basically let the drone hover above us 10-15 and get s nice video grab of my family. The beauty of a drone (spark) is that it's lighter than a tripod with extension.
Unfortunately, you're not allowed to launch or operate any drone in a National Park in the US regardless of how high you intend to fly.

Reactions: JeepDSL
Okay, but national parks are 2-3% so that isn't so bad and I guess I can deal without the drone. It's the weekend flying when I'm at home that is the problem.

Unfortunately, you're not allowed to launch or operate any drone in a National Park in the US regardless of how high you intend to fly.
@blackoutgt, you are so right!

If you are caught doing any flying in a U.S. national park, they will almost certainly confiscate your equipment. If you post video or photos showing that you were flying in a national park, expect some legal authority to come knocking on your door. So, be a good citizen, good UAV operator, and good friend to all other UAV operators - please don't fly in national parks.

@blackoutgt, you are so right!

If you are caught doing any flying in a U.S. national park, they will almost certainly confiscate your equipment. If you post video or photos showing that you were flying in a national park, expect some legal authority to come knocking on your door. So, be a good citizen, good UAV operator, and good friend to all other UAV operators - please don't fly in national parks.

Which is fine, my concern is when I'm home. Nyc is pretty tough. Half the time I'll be fine as I'll be in the "designated area". But the other 48% of the time I'll be roaming in other parks which are not designated zones. Just looking for opinions and experiences from people who had flown in nyc.

We moved from NYC to Phoenix years ago. Couldn't stand the taxes and politics there. My wife and I have a nice house on a little over an acre where I enjoy flying my Mavic in peace. Taxes are $1800 yr here :)

I have the mp for 9 months
And I used it a lot of time but in the last few months I nearly don't use it
I lost the
I know that looking video's make people buy the mavic but after a while it's only a expensive toy
And you need to ask yourself if the price is not to expensive for a toy

You can buy p3

As others have said, based on how your using it I would get the Spark. If you go for it, get the combo with the RC. Even though controlling it by the phone may seem like all you need, controlling it by the RC is far more robust and you'll have greater range. Although you say you only want it for short distance stuff, once you get up in the air and comfortable you'll find more and more opportunities beyond 30-50ft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots