DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice for Low Level Flights over Water - Skimming Water Surface

Vitamin-J

Reactions
Hi All,

I’m curious what are everyone’s experiences with low level flying over both oceans and flat, still bodies of water (lessons learned) that would help make these types of flights more manageable?

Naturally, this is a high-risk, but I’d like everyone’s input on how to best manage this risk.

Last edited:
Flying a Mav' Pro Platinum - I found it difficult to maintain altitude. The Mavic just would not stay at the set height. Unfortunately, it does tend to want to go down!
I think that this is due to the downward sensors not really being able to get a clear indication of how far the surface is away from the Drone.
It is possible to do, but you have to 'fly' the drone, not just move it through the air!

Hi All,

I’m curious what’s everyone’s experiences with low level flying over both oceans and flat, still bodies of water (lessons learned that would help make these types of flights more manageable?

Naturally, this is a high-risk, but I’d like everyone’s input on how to best manage this risk.

We fly over the water really low , just turn off all the sensors , and keep a smooth slow speed in p mode and you will be fine.

as your lifting up you can shift to sport mode for a cool effect, but just keep going up to be safe.

Reactions: CJH92474
I regularly fly over my 1/2 acre pond at 3-6 ft above the surface with all sensors on and have zero adverse effects.

Hi All,

I’m curious what’s everyone’s experiences with low level flying over both oceans and flat, still bodies of water (lessons learned that would help make these types of flights more manageable?

My experience of that was Amazing - ... My Mavic PRO 1 Maintained very well ... see clip - at position 5m37'

I have the Arris Raptor skid and floats which I got for shooting in the NJ Meadowlands. I'm using an M2P and once setting altitude it's been pretty stable when racing over the water surface.

I have the Arris Raptor skid and floats which I got for shooting in the NJ Meadowlands. I'm using an M2P and once setting altitude it's been pretty stable when racing over the water surface.

Thanks for the response. Would you mind educating me a bit further on what you’re doing when “setting altitude”? This sounds like it may be a critical step :)

90% of my flights are over the ocean- I stay at min 10 feet above water- I have tried going lower and it is not as stable- Reminder if you are flying really low and kick in to full throttle forward or backwards you are going in the drink as nose and tail will pitch downwards and you will crash-- This is with an air

Thanks for the response. Would you mind educating me a bit further on what you’re doing when “setting altitude”? This sounds like it may be a critical step :)
I've not been flying over the ocean. Swamp, rivers and ponds pretty much. By setting my altitude I mean that I am making sure the drone is stable hovering about 4 to 6 feet over the surface. I pin my eye on the altitude where the horizon is and I make the shot. I've been using the Moverio BT-300 Glasses and it's made it a lot easier. I also am very conservative rehearsing the shot I want varying the speed starting out slowly and working up to what works.

I'm using an M2P. Also I practice a lot
skimming over land at low altitudes. That has been the confidence builder.

Reactions: Vitamin-J
I fly over the ocean (Caribbean) quite often. First thing I do is check the wind at sea level and then remind myself that the winds are always stronger and more turbulent over the water. Then I take my MP over the water to the area I want to be at and watch the drone and the waves. I want to keep my MP at least 10 feet ABOVE the highest wave crest. When the waves roll / crest it creates additional wind turbulence. Once I figure out my safe altitude above the wave crest I note the altitude in my brain (say 15 meters or whatever is showing on the RC) and I never go any lower. NEVER. Finally, I look at wind direction. I want to go INTO THE WIND first so that I will use up more battery and then have the wind at my back on the return. I never venture more than 200 meters off-shore because I want to be able to get back to shore quickly if there is a problem. Then I start flying. I have never had any problems using this process. Good luck.

My advice: Make sure you have a State Farm personal articles insurance policy, your premiums are paid... then let it rip.

I fly a lot over water, usually in P mode manually controlling sticks. Downword sensor get confused over water so I do not rely on them when over water. I have a thing for waterfalls. I always make sure I am loaded with Getter' Backs, cheap, easy to mount and not obtrusive. Might get wet, but you get your drone back, if you go for a swim.

Footage over water:

I fly a lot over water, usually in P mode manually controlling sticks. Downword sensor get confused over water so I do not rely on them when over water. I have a thing for waterfalls. I always make sure I am loaded with Getter' Backs, cheap, easy to mount and not obtrusive. Might get wet, but you get your drone back, if you go for a swim.

View attachment 72160

Footage over water:

Nice shots. Did you have any GPS signal issues when you dropped down in the ravine? I was in a similar situation and I couldn't get more than 15 feet up. ....but I was trying to take off from the base. I see you came in from the top.

Reactions: Brandaloo

View attachment 72160

Footage over water:

Very nice video. I want to shoot a video from the perspective of a boat going over the falls. Have you tried that yet?

I've not been flying over the ocean. Swamp, rivers and ponds pretty much. By setting my altitude I mean that I am making sure the drone is stable hovering about 4 to 6 feet over the surface. I pin my eye on the altitude where the horizon is and I make the shot. I've been using the Moverio BT-300 Glasses and it's made it a lot easier. I also am very conservative rehearsing the shot I want varying the speed starting out slowly and working up to what works.

I'm using an M2P. Also I practice a lot
skimming over land at low altitudes. That has been the confidence builder.

Sorry quoted the wrong person. Meant to answer @Vitamin-J .

I've been working on basically the same thing except I am diving from approx. 40 ft. full speed with full forward speed coming down to about 1 to 2 feet when the dive is over but with the forward speed still at full. Most of the time it will work with the sensors on but both of my crashes have been with the sensors off. With them off the M2P just seems to take a quick dive down when running about 1 1/2 ft above the ground and crashes but hasn't done that with the sensors on, so far. Also, with the sensors "on" the M2P will stop about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time because, I think, the front sensors see the ground sometimes even at speed. I also tried it at 4 to 5 ft. many times and it always does just fine. Seems like I remember the tolerance on altitude is approx. 1 meter so at 4 to 6 ft. you should be good to go. If you get lower, problems are possible/probable. I will tell you this, when you get it right it is a beautiful thing to see. I think I am going to practice more at 4 to 5 ft. like you and angle the camera down a little. It still looks like you are just above the water. Good luck!

Take care and happy flying!

Last edited:
I do a lot of "skimming" of on a small lake near my place, but fly much higher when I'm anywhere with boat traffic or larger bodies with waves (ie ocean). With my luck I wouldn't rule out a fish or gator jumping up and snapping my Mavic down.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO