DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice for Survey Grade Mapping

Acees40love

Reactions
Hi. I have been researching different software for the creation of topographical maps (2D, contour) based on 2 foot intervals. I plan to use my Topcon Hiper SR or Hiper V system to set out control points on the site prior to flying. These coordinates will be on the state plane coordinate system. I've read where a lot of people are using DD or Pix4D to create these types of maps. Being new to the post-processing world of drone photogrametry, which platform will have the least complicated learning curve? The ease of importing the control point data into the software in order to determine accuracy is also a concern. I know, broad question. Thanks for your time and advice.

Reactions: Jhawkengr
What an interesting future drones have.
I get newsletters from Pix4D and Drone Deploy.
This was in my inbox this morning and might be something you can check out.

Reactions: Jhawkengr
What an interesting future drones have.
I get newsletters from Pix4D and Drone Deploy.
This was in my inbox this morning and might be something you can check out.
Thank you! I will definitely check this out!

Thank you! I will definitely check this out!

I did look at this on my flight home today waiting at the airport . . . it seems a lot US$995, and an extra Drone Deploy training module can be had for US$495.

Probably a good investment, there's a load of good speakers in there, and I'm sure a pilot with some experience under their belt would do the training quite proficiently.
I think I'd do it if that was a career move I'd like to pursue.

All the best with your endeavors, I'd like to do that sort of thing (mapping, surveying, inspections etc).

DD is the simpler of the 2 if you are new. They have some training videos, but it is real easy to figure out.

I have used Drone Deploy for some mapping exercises and have found it both easy to use and seemingly sufficiently accurate for my engineering purposes. I would recommend you try their trial version and within a small area to be mapped, select a number of calibration points to be reviewed following your trials to satisfy your particular job demands. Good luck.

Thanks to all who have provided info; I am a new pilot (but an old engineer;)) and have the same question. It's hard to parse what software to use, what training is available that is genuinely worthwhile for someone new to drones. This forum is invaluable.

Thanks to all for the advice! The company is taking this slow. I am studying for my Part 107 and hope to test in a couple of weeks. I flew 3D helis and fixed wing r/c craft for years and am breaking into the drone world. I'd like to set out some control points at my house and run a small test. I'm pretty sure this tool will not be useful for boundary surveying but I do think it could be useful for topo and also creating some 3D models for job review. I've already downloaded DD and am using the free version for now. Been playing around with flight planning but only from a simulation standpoint so far. Really glad to hear importing GPS control points is easy in DD and the ability to apply corrections. As I traverse this path, hopefully I can learn something and report back.

Thanks to all for the advice! The company is taking this slow. I am studying for my Part 107 and hope to test in a couple of weeks. I flew 3D helis and fixed wing r/c craft for years and am breaking into the drone world. I'd like to set out some control points at my house and run a small test. I'm pretty sure this tool will not be useful for boundary surveying but I do think it could be useful for topo and also creating some 3D models for job review. I've already downloaded DD and am using the free version for now. Been playing around with flight planning but only from a simulation standpoint so far. Really glad to hear importing GPS control points is easy in DD and the ability to apply corrections. As I traverse this path, hopefully I can learn something and report back.
There is use in standard 2d surveys in developed areas, as you are able to digitize many non-critical features such as pavement edges, highway center lines, sidewalks, building footprints, etc. We started with Pix4d using their cloud services (with RTK control points), but soon opted for in-house processing using Agisoft Photoscan, now known as Metashape. We create break lines and render one foot contours in CAD. In the past we had used Pix4d for photo capture but now use the DJIPilot app (which runs better on our Android tablets) with the Phantom4 Pro. As far as accuracy, the easiest way to check your results are to simply set out some extra targets as check points, or run a line of a few topo shots on the property and compare the results to your photo-generated DEM in CAD.

The UAV has paid for itself many times over. Forget about avoiding a "complicated learning curve". It's really not complex but it will take some practice to yield the best results. Find out what works best for you and your employer and put some time into learning it thoroughly. It will make you a more valuable employee.

Reactions: mereflyer
There is use in standard 2d surveys in developed areas, as you are able to digitize many non-critical features such as pavement edges, highway center lines, sidewalks, building footprints, etc. We started with Pix4d using their cloud services (with RTK control points), but soon opted for in-house processing using Agisoft Photoscan, now known as Metashape. We create break lines and render one foot contours in CAD. In the past we had used Pix4d for photo capture but now use the DJIPilot app (which runs better on our Android tablets) with the Phantom4 Pro. As far as accuracy, the easiest way to check your results are to simply set out some extra targets as check points, or run a line of a few topo shots on the property and compare the results to your photo-generated DEM in CAD.

The UAV has paid for itself many times over. Forget about avoiding a "complicated learning curve". It's really not complex but it will take some practice to yield the best results. Find out what works best for you and your employer and put some time into learning it thoroughly. It will make you a more valuable employee.
Thanks for the advice! I am excited about the possibility of using drone data for non-critical features. I am going to look into Metashape and DJIPilot app. This seems more cost effective than paying monthly fees for processing. My company has done surveying and real estate valuations for our International Airport for quite a long time and I would love the ability to use the drone for locating fences, etc. I'm hoping this little drone will help in the surveying and commercial/industrial/agricultural real estate appraisal aspects of the business. Passed my Part 107 just this morning :)

Thanks for the advice! I am excited about the possibility of using drone data for non-critical features. I am going to look into Metashape and DJIPilot app. This seems more cost effective than paying monthly fees for processing. My company has done surveying and real estate valuations for our International Airport for quite a long time and I would love the ability to use the drone for locating fences, etc. I'm hoping this little drone will help in the surveying and commercial/industrial/agricultural real estate appraisal aspects of the business. Passed my Part 107 just this morning :)
I think you'll be impressed with what photogrammetry from UAV photos can do. Start with a free trial from Pix4d and get your feet wet. Make sure you have enough GCPs. We've flown for cable crossings, residential and commercial construction, solar farms, stockpile volumes, etc. Many jobs that would have taken multiple days we can complete in a couple of field hours, (sometimes only minutes on recurring jobs where we have existing control) and process overnight. The UAV is a huge time-saver. I'm unaware if TN has a GIS repository, but many states do. We have access (for free) to high-resolution LIDAR data from our repository, and we often use it to compare against our results. One- tenth foot accuracy is the norm, which is about what you'll get from RTK GPS.

Posting an update here. Currently using a trial of Pix4d and flew a very small 2 acre plot for the purposes of generating contours. I have successfully created (exported) a DXF file of the contours but that's about it. I have the ortho map as well but I think there are a lot of limitations having two sets of data (DXF contour file & ortho map) and no real way to accurately merge the two into one. The DXF contour file has no data whatsoever - just lines and that's it. I don't see a reliable way to overlay the contour file onto the ortho map because there is no reference to any GCP or any other point/location with respect to the ortho map. I'm not sure how people are getting the data from Pix4d into any other type of surveying software. I use an older Carlson, point based system. Any Advice?

Posting an update here. Currently using a trial of Pix4d and flew a very small 2 acre plot for the purposes of generating contours. I have successfully created (exported) a DXF file of the contours but that's about it. I have the ortho map as well but I think there are a lot of limitations having two sets of data (DXF contour file & ortho map) and no real way to accurately merge the two into one. The DXF contour file has no data whatsoever - just lines and that's it. I don't see a reliable way to overlay the contour file onto the ortho map because there is no reference to any GCP or any other point/location with respect to the ortho map. I'm not sure how people are getting the data from Pix4d into any other type of surveying software. I use an older Carlson, point based system. Any Advice?
You need to create your own contours in Carlson/Intellicad using the DSM generated from Pix4d. More recent versions of Carlson Survey have "Grid File Utilities" accessible by entering GFU in the command line. I'm not sure if your version has this routine or not. Loading the DSM using this utility will automatically generate a GRD file which you can then use as a surface to set points on one at a time, or you can export an entire grid of points at a desired spacing, using inclusion/exclusion areas. You'll use those points to generate a tin. Use the drone ortho image to draw your breaklines and be using exclusion areas as well so you are not contouring structures/trees/vehicles/tall grass, etc. I don't think Pix4d will classify a point cloud to ground points only, but I don't use it anymore so I'm not sure.

You need to create your own contours in Carlson/Intellicad using the DSM generated from Pix4d. More recent versions of Carlson Survey have "Grid File Utilities" accessible by entering GFU in the command line. I'm not sure if your version has this routine or not. Loading the DSM using this utility will automatically generate a GRD file which you can then use as a surface to set points on one at a time, or you can export an entire grid of points at a desired spacing, using inclusion/exclusion areas. You'll use those points to generate a tin. Use the drone ortho image to draw your breaklines and be using exclusion areas as well so you are not contouring structures/trees/vehicles/tall grass, etc. I don't think Pix4d will classify a point cloud to ground points only, but I don't use it anymore so I'm not sure.
You may also want to read a support post from Drone Deploy entitled How to Import Data to AutoCAD Civil 3D - Drone Deploy (search on Google). While you are using different software specific tools, the concepts are very similar and might further your understanding of what goes on behind the scenes so-to-speak. In any event let us know how it works out for you. Best of luck.

I use Drone Harmony to plan and fly my orthomapping missions. I find it work seamlessly.

I recently purchased the WebODM package to stitch the the photos and prepare contours. Still learning the package but it is good not to rely on having a 3rd party work on my files. Also means I can work when net is down.

I then use gvSIG to plot the data, both photos and contours and prepare drawings.

I do not claim to be a pro at this. The maps are mainly prepared and used for planning railway infrastructure maintenance (I am a railway infrastructure civil engineer

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent