DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice on buying damaged Mavic 2 Pro

Tiddy

Reactions
I'm looking at buying a damaged Mavic 2 Pro. The seller says he knocked the camera with a filter on and removed it forcibly damaging the camera/gimball. The camera still works and is intermittent apparently (Pictures back this up).

I was wondering if its worth a punt buying it and trying to repair the gimball, maybe the cable/gimball motors need replacing. What do you guys think? It comes with 3 batteries, 6 filters and a few other extras.

Welcome Aboard!

Keep in mind worse case if the gimbal needs to be replaced the camera alone is about $700+. The 2 extra batteries is a huge +

All depends on what your paying but you could always send it in for a free inspection free shipping both ways (in usa). We quote the repair and you only pay if we fix. based on what your saying though doesn't sound like we need a gimbal swap but cant really say w/o looking at it.

Hope this helps

It all depends on the price. If it were under $500 then yes I’d take a punt. Any not and it’d be too much risk for me.

Reactions: Bill combs
I'm in the UK, its an auction sell currently for £650 with no bids. Brand new the drone alone is £1300, extras probably another £400. I know a whole camera replacement isn't cheap, maybe 400 if you're lucky.

I'm in the UK, its an auction sell currently for £650 with no bids. Brand new the drone alone is £1300, extras probably another £400. I know a whole camera replacement isn't cheap, maybe 400 if you're lucky.

Apologies, I’m in the UK too but just assumed you were t’other side of the pond.

£650 is borderline for me. A fully working secondhand M2P would be £1000-1200 depending on condition and accessories. The filters, as part of a secondhand package, are nice to have but don’t really add to the monetary value much.

The batteries more so - let’s go with £1100 working so this is the price you need to keep in mind and if the drone has been crashed (and let’s be honest, despite what the seller says has happened this sounds like it’s been in an accident) then there may be other issues.

£550-600 would be more comfortable but then even if you could get the camera fixed for £400 you are well into the territory of a decent secondhand one with no issues. £400-500 and you’re getting toward it being a fairly risk free transaction.

Personally I’d not bother and keep my eye out for a minter instead :). Might cost a bit more but I’d have a drone I could trust.

Apologies, I’m in the UK too but just assumed you were t’other side of the pond.

£650 is borderline for me. A fully working secondhand M2P would be £1000-1200 depending on condition and accessories. The filters, as part of a secondhand package, are nice to have but don’t really add to the monetary value much.

The batteries more so - let’s go with £1100 working so this is the price you need to keep in mind and if the drone has been crashed (and let’s be honest, despite what the seller says has happened this sounds like it’s been in an accident) then there may be other issues.

£550-600 would be more comfortable but then even if you could get the camera fixed for £400 you are well into the territory of a decent secondhand one with no issues. £400-500 and you’re getting toward it being a fairly risk free transaction.

Personally I’d not bother and keep my eye out for a minter instead :). Might cost a bit more but I’d have a drone I could trust.

Thanks for the the advice. I'll keep my eye out, I might take a punt on it (probably against my better judgement), but like you say secondhand ones in good condition are roughly 1000 anyways. Would you mind if I dm'ed the listing to you?

Throw the seller a low ball offer on the auction if it has the ability to "make an offer" worst he (she) can say in no, and if it doesn't sell he may come back to you with a counter offer.

Welcome Aboard!

Keep in mind worse case if the gimbal needs to be replaced the camera alone is about $700+. The 2 extra batteries is a huge +

All depends on what your paying but you could always send it in for a free inspection free shipping both ways (in usa). We quote the repair and you only pay if we fix. based on what your saying though doesn't sound like we need a gimbal swap but cant really say w/o looking at it.

Hope this helps
I bought a new camera;gimbal for $549 for my zoom to swap for Mavic 2pro

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I agree with dannybgoode's comment about price and I'm always wary of damaged items on ebay that appear to have a straightforward repair as there's a possibility the seller has attempted a repair but failed and made it worse. In addition to that with it being a drone the impact which damaged the camera may have damaged other parts of the drone even if it initially appears ok.

Reactions: Thomas B and DDS
I'd have it sent to DJI for review and repair estimates. You might offer to split the shipping cost (you and the seller each paying for 1 way of travel) and base your decision on the what it actually needs in the way of repairs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu