DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice to new owners

iride4u

Reactions
While the Mavic is easy to fly it is also easy to get into trouble.
First before you install the props update your software and then check to see if you have any control.
If everything is good at this time then find a good place to launch from that has a large area away from obstructions.
Now put the props on and try to fly in a limited area. Be gentle with the controls, what you are trying to do is learn the bird. The Mavic is very sensitive to wind I only fly when it is still outside. If there is any wind I will take out the Phantom 4 as it is better in the wind.
Once you feel comfortable then expand your flights.

same; had it up in 18 mph wind with 28mph gusts and with the exception of the last leg of landing, the thing took it like a champ in sport mode

also would recommend NOT updating to anything past 1.04.000 as you lose significant control of functionalities in the $1000+ drone you just bought and if you update past that even if you want to downgrade later (though with dumlracer that will likely change soon) you won't be able to.

same; had it up in 18 mph wind with 28mph gusts and with the exception of the last leg of landing, the thing took it like a champ in sport mode

also would recommend NOT updating to anything past 1.04.000 as you lose significant control of functionalities in the $1000+ drone you just bought and if you update past that even if you want to downgrade later (though with dumlracer that will likely change soon) you won't be able to.

Can you elaborate please ? :)

Can you elaborate please ? :)

the no fly zones for instance were introduced in firmware updates after release, other parameters were also locked down in further updates.
for some (like me) who live near airports and fields that are privately owned and operated and are not open for public use (and therefore have no control tower or any active controlling authority) these are marked as airport zones and on the firmwares with no fly zones make the mavic fly at a significantly reduced capacity; these airports (at least in my case) are attached to farmland properties and more often than not have zero activity outside of certain times of the year. older firmwares allowed disabling the no fly zone completely or turning off the reduced flight capacity settings for these zones.

the altering of these parameters (chiefly the no fly zone, max speed, braking ability, altitude and distance settings) did no harm to the drone they simply were limits imposed by dji after the fact due to their concerns for PR as far as i can find.
also in further updates the wifi beacon id that can be spoofed (duplicated and falsified for those that don't know what spoofing is) and hacked was enabled (though as far as i can tell not actually used yet) which ping off the drones heading, location, speed and serial number and possibly other identifying info.
dumlracer is an exploit that breaks the firmware downgrade lock that dji had incorporated into the firmware starting in version 1.04.100 (they changed the filesystem structure from the previous firmwares which meant the old firmwares would not load properly) it is not in a completely usable state at the moment for general usage by the technically un-inclined but it does work none the less
this tool allows downgrading to the previous versions of the mavic firmware which up until recently has always been a stock feature of the dji assistant software, then dji removed the feature.

Reactions: Vegasdad and Callum
This thread was started to try and help new drone pilots out of trouble. I was hoping that more experienced flyers would jump in with helpful hints. This way we would not be seeing videos of drones flying over interstates, housing developments and the like. Also this might prevent the disappointed post of a lost or crashed drone. One of the biggest problems with DJI drones is that they are so simple to operate that it causes some people to over fly their abilities.
When I suggested not to fly in wind I was talking to new fliers. As their abilities increase they can push the drone a little more.

This thread was started to try and help new drone pilots out of trouble. I was hoping that more experienced flyers would jump in with helpful hints. This way we would not be seeing videos of drones flying over interstates, housing developments and the like. Also this might prevent the disappointed post of a lost or crashed drone. One of the biggest problems with DJI drones is that they are so simple to operate that it causes some people to over fly their abilities.
When I suggested not to fly in wind I was talking to new fliers. As their abilities increase they can push the drone a little more.

If you'd done just a simple search, you'd see that this topic is well covered -- including this very active current thread. No need to start another thread about it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143