DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice when installing Firehouse Strobes

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've been using Firehouse strobes for over a year now and own 4 ARC V's, one ARC II and two colored mini strobes. It's fair to say I have some experience with them. For the most part I love them and recommend them though they aren't cheap. The kit comes with a USB cable for charging and velcro.

If you do not keep your strobes mounted to your drone and remove them frequently DO NOT USE THEIR VELCRO

I would highly recommend using your own heavy duty velcro or some other means. The velcro they provide loses it's grip after multiple installations and removals. I have lost two strobes, where it just spontaneously fell off the drone's arm in flight and one in a very minor crash where I did not find the strobe. Perhaps I can't necessarily blame the velcro for the latter loss, but there have been later incidents when I've just been handling one of my drones with a strobe attached and it just fell off.

I keep a stash of heavy duty velcro on hand and can tell you that what I have just holds on like a bulldog onto a bone. I have had no incidents of incidental release after having switched to my own velcro. Also, if you're mounting strobes on the arms, I have found a good way to mount them or great way to reinforce velcro mounting is with thin elastic hair bands. Elastic hair bands

Again, while pricey, the Firehouse strobes are about as bright as they come in this size. The ARC V's are highly recommended.

BTW... I did an informal test of the brightness of the ARC V's vs the ARC II's. I took them into a dark closet and put each on the constant light mode (separately of course) and measured the output with a Minolta FlashMeter V (in ambient mode) for brightness. The difference of the brightness at the exact same distance was indiscernible, about 1/10th of a F stop. I can't say if one is brighter than the other in the flash modes, but the bezel on the ARC V really helps visibility as it refracts light in a much wider angle than the uncovered ARC II.

Reactions: dsrtrdr7
You're right about the velcro that comes with the ARC V lights. I just tinkered with my light and realized that the attachment is not nearly as secure as it was when I installed the velcro a couple of months ago.

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you have a recommendation for replacement velcro?

Reactions: dsrtrdr7
You're right about the velcro that comes with the ARC V lights. I just tinkered with my light and realized that the attachment is not nearly as secure as it was when I installed the velcro a couple of months ago.

I wish I had a specific recommendation. I bought a box of 25' (I think) of heavy duty velcro years ago but have since discarded the box. What I can say is that the female portion of the HD velcro is "fuzzier" than that provided by Firehouse and the male "tentacles" (?) are a bit longer and more aggressive. IWhen I try to pull the male and female apart the force required is almost great enough to take the adhesive right along with it.

Losing two ARC V's because of the worn velcro was an expensive discovery.

Look for 3M Dual-Lock, about the best there is.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/dual-lock-reclosable-fasteners-us/

I'd say look for the rubber based or conformable acrylic.
I think that stuff will work. But the one thing that should be known about the smaller strobes that do not have the ARC V's enclosure, once you put the velcro adhesive onto the bottom of the strobe where there is naked plastic wrap, the chances of ripping the plastic that holds the battery to the light in place is great. However, one other foible of the "naked" Firehouse strobes is that the plastic wrap tends to get brittle over time. I've had to reseal the strobes together with hot glue.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hmm interesting re the wrap.
I have Duals and ARCII, both no problems so far.
I cut the velcro to a neat size, and also use a spot of black urethane adhesive just to make sure it stays.
I put that urethane on the drone tabs too.
Using the hook on the strobes and loop side on the drone.

I never trusted their Velcro or any other Velcro. I always fly with leg extenders to put my drone further from the ground in the event I have to land off my drone pad. I attach my Firehoise strobes to these leg extenders with Gorilla glue. I can still remove the leg extenders and charge the FH strobes, but the attachment is now as secure as the strength of the attachment of the leg extender. Over 5 years I have only had a leg extender come off once when, after a battery failure, I had a hard landing.

I was tinkering with the ARC V light and velcro yesterday evening and observing that the attachment wasn't nearly as snug as it was initially. Both surfaces were clean and undamaged and I wondered why the connection wasn't as good as it used to be. So, I pushed down on the light and shoved fore and aft and side to side a few times while maintaining pressure. The velcro engaged so well that I was concerned about peeling the adhesive off the velcro strips when I removed the light.

I've been using Firehouse strobes for over a year now and own 4 ARC V's, one ARC II and two colored mini strobes. It's fair to say I have some experience with them. For the most part I love them and recommend them though they aren't cheap. The kit comes with a USB cable for charging and velcro.

If you do not keep your strobes mounted to your drone and remove them frequently DO NOT USE THEIR VELCRO

I would highly recommend using your own heavy duty velcro or some other means. The velcro they provide loses it's grip after multiple installations and removals. I have lost two strobes, where it just spontaneously fell off the drone's arm in flight and one in a very minor crash where I did not find the strobe. Perhaps I can't necessarily blame the velcro for the latter loss, but there have been later incidents when I've just been handling one of my drones with a strobe attached and it just fell off.

I keep a stash of heavy duty velcro on hand and can tell you that what I have just holds on like a bulldog onto a bone. I have had no incidents of incidental release after having switched to my own velcro. Also, if you're mounting strobes on the arms, I have found a good way to mount them or great way to reinforce velcro mounting is with thin elastic hair bands. Elastic hair bands

Again, while pricey, the Firehouse strobes are about as bright as they come in this size. The ARC V's are highly recommended.

BTW... I did an informal test of the brightness of the ARC V's vs the ARC II's. I took them into a dark closet and put each on the constant light mode (separately of course) and measured the output with a Minolta FlashMeter V (in ambient mode) for brightness. The difference of the brightness at the exact same distance was indiscernible, about 1/10th of a F stop. I can't say if one is brighter than the other in the flash modes, but the bezel on the ARC V really helps visibility as it refracts light in a much wider angle than the uncovered ARC II.
Somebody in the forum once recommended the 3M duo lock velcro. I bought a roll and have most of it left over but it holds like a pit bull. I got the small roll on Amazon. Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 12.44.16 PM.png

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Somebody in the forum once recommended the 3M duo lock velcro. I bought a roll and have most of it left over but it holds like a pit bull. I got the small roll on Amazon. View attachment 134121
I've got some of that stuff in my Amazon cart and will get some when I do my next order. I think it's too late for the "naked" strobes that are only shrink-wrapped and so I have to leave my HD velcro on until I can replace the dual LED colored lights, or put the clear fastener on top of the existing velcro on the strobe. I can peel off the velcro on the ARC V's which I've done and replaced.

BTW.. I just received a replacement ARC V and it is noticeably brighter than my original two, held side by side. I wonder what that's about. Do they get dimmer with age or do they vary batch to batch???

Look for 3M Dual-Lock, about the best there is.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/dual-lock-reclosable-fasteners-us/

I'd say look for the rubber based or conformable acrylic.
I've got some of that stuff in my Amazon cart and will get some when I do my next order. I think it's too late for the "naked" strobes that are only shrink-wrapped and so I have to leave my HD velcro on until I can replace the dual LED colored lights, or put the clear fastener on top of the existing velcro on the strobe. I can peel off the velcro on the ARC V's which I've done and replaced.

BTW.. I just received a replacement ARC V and it is noticeably brighter than my original two, held side by side. I wonder what that's about. Do they get dimmer with age or do they vary batch to batch???
I use the Dual-Lock clear thin with no problems so far on the MA2. Good for around the house too. Holds the USB hub and card reader to the top of the Computer. Just an example.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

I agree about the arc-v and using standard velcro. I have the white one on top, the red one on the port side of the body and the green on on the right. I run the side strobes in dual mode. it makes it easier to see. the white is strobe only.

I agree about the arc-v and using standard velcro. I have the white one on top, the red one on the port side of the body and the green on on the right. I run the side strobes in dual mode. it makes it easier to see. the white is strobe only.

You must be able to see that thing what seems like forever !!
Those ARCVs are bright ! (But a lot heavier, big/ /, harder to fit places.)

3M Dual Lock is great stuff. I use it all over the place now and on all 3 drones for my Firehouse strobes, top and bottom.

I don't understand the term "dual mode". What does that mean exactly?

I would definitely recommend this 3M product.A6DB207B-F17D-4BB4-899C-4E5BBEA8BE74.jpeg

Reactions: MS Coast
I take mine on and off and have been using the stock velcro. I have a roll of the dual lock so I guess I will take the time and swap the velcro for the dual lock tomorrow. It would be nicer to have an Arc V equal built in to the drone, maybe top and bottom, but until it is Firehouse makes a great option.

Reactions: PAW
Just a Quick......Does the "Fluffy" material come with the 3-M Dual Lock that you folks were
talking about?? it didn't look like in those photos of the 3-M from Amazon.
My FireHouse V is attached using the same Velcro/Fluffy that they send with the strope. I will Swap out the
Velcro and put on the 3-M. Good Discussion on this 3-M Velcro....Ron

Just a Quick......Does the "Fluffy" material come with the 3-M Dual Lock that you folks were
talking about?? it didn't look like in those photos of the 3-M from Amazon.

In the consumer type packs like that, you will generally get the stiffer hook side, and the fluffy loop side, either in tabs or the smaller rolls.
That's the only way velcro works, having both :)
So that's what will be supplied.

With Dual Lock, both sides are the hooks thats the dual part. There is no fluffy like you find with velcro. Replacing mine last night, the original soft part on the drone came right off I was expecting it to be a little harder to remove. The dual lock is much more stable. Only negative is it now sticks to my camera bag but I think of that as a feature, ha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike