DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Aerial Photographer

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
This video was just too good not to pass on to everyone on this forum. No, this is not drone photography but very close to the same results. I think you all will really enjoy this 7 minute film which I received in my mail through the people who run my web site (SmugMug) done by one of their contributors. It is 7 minutes of pure pleasure.
Dale
Miami

This video was just too good not to pass on to everyone on this forum. No, this is not drone photography but very close to the same results. I think you all will really enjoy this 7 minute film which I received in my mail through the people who run my web site (SmugMug) done by one of their contributors. It is 7 minutes of pure pleasure.
Dale
Miami
Awesome Dale!

Thanks for sharing.

It’s a real nice docu-short. Gentle pace. Most importantly, the cinematography is excellent. While I replaced my Sony a7rII with the BMPCC 6k for pro video, I still use the Sony for its versatility.

Being a paraglider pilot was what inspired me to get my first DSLR. Over that 8 years of being a competition pilot and tandem instructor I saw several fatalities and once the magic of flying was gone, after like 3,000 airborne hours, I was glad to leave it in one piece. This guy will likely be just fine though, he avoids thermals and goes on stable days with a motor, the only relatively safe way to do it in any tiny craft. We went to the deserts and hunted thermals for lift, sometimes unimaginably rough climbing at literal 2000ft per minute, many times over 16K MSL. When entering a huge powerful thermal, there were big g forces, the glide shivering under the massive load, and if you froze up and flew straight or turned the wrong way and hit the edge of that thermal there would be sinking air and BIG turbulence. Lost my entire wing several times over the years and once at a comp in Mexico I was hit by a huge sinking tail wind that literally blew the right half of my wing down and out in front of me sending me literally helicoptering . The wing blew back into the lines and go tangled as it did a full 360 twisting the lines as I entered a HUGE DEEP spiral dive pulling mega Gs. As I reach for the reserve parachute handle about 300 over a tree covered plateau the g forces were high enough to untwist the lines, I was "bar stooling" rotating in place, until my lines slammed open and I smoothly exited the deep spiral and actually gained some altitude from all the energy of the dive, just enough altitude to fly over the trees and off the edge of the plateau, gaining me 1000 feet! That was the beginning of the end of that career, I started flying more RC gliders to test conditions and ended up falling in love with that, taking no risks and flying like a wild man with a foam combat wing battling my buddies by flying a low race like pattern while slamming each other out of the sky. That was SUPER FUN!

Dale- I know you mentioned getting a Mini 2 for Africa. Just got one, OMG, so cool! Amazingly light, small and portable, so little hassle. A small fanny pack/hip belt and you are flying in a moments notice. No more major unpacking and all that fiddling. . . I am SOO excited just for the instant tripod where ever I want it with ZERO running around, not to mention all the rest of the cool things a drone can do. It's potential is huge. The picture quality definitely rivals the Air 2 as long as there is good light. Both ships can be on one controller too! Great for my use as an ultralight climbing drone pilot! I think for the epic traveler you are, it will be incredible! The only down side for me is a flight ceiling of 13,100MSL but, it is usually quite wind up there anyway, Air 2 country. . .

Last edited:
All I can is you must be out of your f...mind to do that kind of stuff. I'm so glad you survived so we can enjoy your climbing adventures.

Dale

It must have been reasonably doable for me, I survived it all unscathed and way more I won't even admit to here, LOL SERIOUSLY. Just sold My BMW Dakar enduro motorcycle too. A whole other chapter of wild and crazy. . . I guess I've been out my F. . .mind the whole time and now just coming back to my senses by only doing my drama queen videos of my little strolls in the park. . . Temple mountain really was scary for me, no more brittle climbs like that. . .Mini 2. . . do it. . .you'll love it. . . I promise.
Do you have kids Dale? Mine just graduated high school last weekend, off to college right here at home, School of mines.

It must have been reasonably doable for me, I survived it all unscathed and way more I won't even admit to here, LOL SERIOUSLY. Just sold My BMW Dakar enduro motorcycle too. A whole other chapter of wild and crazy. . . I guess I've been out my F. . .mind the whole time and now just coming back to my senses by only doing my drama queen videos of my little strolls in the park. . . Temple mountain really was scary for me, no more brittle climbs like that. . .Mini 2. . . do it. . .you'll love it. . . I promise.
Do you have kids Dale? Mine just graduated high school last weekend, off to college right here at home, School of mines.
Yes- Karl
I have a 53 year old daughter, Julie Davis, who graduated from Dartmouth College in 1991 and went out to Hollywood to seek here fortune in the film business. Lives in Studio City, L.A. She wrote and directed 3 films ("I love You, Don't Touch Me" being her best effort, and it was shown at Sundance Film Festival. Her Hollywood fortunes went downhill from there. She is a screen writer, director, and actor. I have an adopted son who is 47. Lives near Tampa.The long story edition is not suitable for this forum.

Here is the trailer for her movie. Her photo is in the inset of the trailer.

Wow man, you must be very proud. Chick flic for sure but, it did look good and very funny!
Nice job buddy!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair