DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AFC/MF in latest GO

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
In GO 4.0.3 the AF/MF button is now labeled AFC/MF.

I assume that means "Continuous" AF and that bothers me. When I'm recording, I usually want the focus to remain fixed.

In the prior version, that's what was happening (I believe) and I hope that's still the case. Hard to tell (can't fly much now, it's too cold and my camera focus seems especially sensitive to the cold). Maybe on the weekend - it's supposed to be milder.

Anyway - any comments on the new labeling of the AF as AFC very welcome.

Yes they named correctly in this new version, but now you can choose between AFC and AF! That's an improvement for me

Reactions: dewster
cabc254589883f894a0df75d6f4d9dd7.jpg
check the camera settings

Umm.. I'm kinda very new to all this auto focus thing..

but whats the difference between AF and AFC?

Umm.. I'm kinda very new to all this auto focus thing..

but whats the difference between AF and AFC?
Automatic Focus Continues will have the camera hunting and refocusing continuously, it can be distracting when watching a video (it may look like the when you are getting ready to take a shot with your phone and the camera keeps hunting the faces and changing focus.)
Regards,
-d.

Automatic Focus Continues will have the camera hunting and refocusing continuously, it can be distracting when watching a video (it may look like the when you are getting ready to take a shot with your phone and the camera keeps hunting the faces and changing focus.)
Regards,
-d.

So basically, is AFC a good function to use or AF is better?

The Mav
So basically, is AFC a good function to use or AF is better?
The Mavic camera is not the best at continues focus, it has a habit of hunting and choosing the focus, it can be disconcerting to some people, I am far from an expert so I would recommend doing a search on these and other forums I know it has been discussed in depth.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: GBDW
The Mav

The Mavic camera is not the best at continues focus, it has a habit of hunting and choosing the focus, it can be disconcerting to some people, I am far from an expert so I would recommend doing a search on these and other forums I know it has been discussed in depth.
Regards,
-d.

AFC really messed up a nice magic hour flight of mine. My fault really, I thought I was in MF.

Reactions: Bunny Too
AFC really messed up a nice magic hour flight of mine. My fault really, I thought I was in MF.
It has happened to me as well, hard to keep track of everything sometimes.
Regards,
-d.

It only really does it while hovering though, mine doesn't do it when moving, so it's not that big an issue. I quite like it as I'm always forgetting to focus.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Glen e
It only really does it while hovering though, mine doesn't do it when moving, so it's not that big an issue. I quite like it as I'm always forgetting to focus.

It did it to me several times within 20 seconds or so while crossing a river/island/river sequence at about 25 km/hr and recording.

Well, if we are using the normal AF..

HOw do you guys keep a constant sharp focus while moving the Drone? do you tap on the screen constantly or......?

I did a test flight (had some panic attacks when I lost sight of the drone) and a video record at 2.7k (30FPS) and I noted that when I turned the drone, the
video image is kind of stuttering along the movement... any tips on this?

Well, if we are using the normal AF..

HOw do you guys keep a constant sharp focus while moving the Drone? do you tap on the screen constantly or......?

I did a test flight (had some panic attacks when I lost sight of the drone) and a video record at 2.7k (30FPS) and I noted that when I turned the drone, the
video image is kind of stuttering along the movement... any tips on this?

As to focus I use the focus aid in GO that gives red lines to show where the focus is ("Peak Focus Threshold" - set that to "normal" or whatever you prefer). This helps in being sure what parts of the image should be in focus - esp. on a bright day when it's hard to see the screen.

I use AF to focus where I want and then flip it to MF to hold that focus.

As to the stuttering, that's artifacts of the way the MP stores images and is possibly also due to over exposure (I'm not clear on this). I record 2.7k /24 and I don't get the stuttering. I use (in sunny conditions) a 3 stop ND as well. (#8). I may go back to 30 fps in order to have smoother looking turns - that may bring back the stuttering - but re-sampling in Handbrake can fix that. I think.

Reactions: Cerberus
As to focus I use the focus aid in GO that gives red lines to show where the focus is ("Peak Focus Threshold" - set that to "normal" or whatever you prefer). This helps in being sure what parts of the image should be in focus - esp. on a bright day when it's hard to see the screen.

I use AF to focus where I want and then flip it to MF to hold that focus.

As to the stuttering, that's artifacts of the way the MP stores images and is possibly also due to over exposure (I'm not clear on this). I record 2.7k /24 and I don't get the stuttering. I use (in sunny conditions) a 3 stop ND as well. (#8). I may go back to 30 fps in order to have smoother looking turns - that may bring back the stuttering - but re-sampling in Handbrake can fix that. I think.

Ok, i'm a noob in video editing and stuff but... re-sampling in Handbrake?

Reactions: ListenLoudly
Ok, i'm a noob in video editing and stuff but... re-sampling in Handbrake?

Handbrake is a video conversion tool.
If you re-sample, you can set a hard number of frames per second - and that COULD get rid of the jitter, if the jitter is a result of shutter speed not being roughly 2x the ISO.

Handbrake is a video conversion tool.
If you re-sample, you can set a hard number of frames per second - and that COULD get rid of the jitter, if the jitter is a result of shutter speed not being roughly 2x the ISO.

Indeed. While I have no source stutter at 2.7K/24 with a 3 stop ND, I have yet to test 2.7K/30 w//w/o a ND.

Reactions: Cerberus

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa