DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 African Safari group 10

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
These are the last images of our amazing river crossings as part of the great migration of the wildebeests and zebras. We are nearing the end of the Tanzania portion of the safari. It is no longer possible to travel across the border from Tanzania to Kenya (a very short flight). Due to criminal activities and Covid, all tourists who wish to travel from Tanzania to Kenya must return top the international airport (Kilimanjaro) and fly to Nairobi. This is a whole day affair requiring numerous small plane stops (we made 7- like a bus route). Finally we arrived in Nairobi,Kenya and began the last 3 days of the trip, flying the same day all the way back west to the fabulous Maasai Mara.

Here are the last few images of the final crossing and a dawn view of our ride back to the airport (really nothing more than a landing strip in the middle of nowhere)Wildebeests-tight shot.jpg.

Attachments

• Elephants grazing- sunrise.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
  • Endless Line of Wildebeests on horizon.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • Migration Crossing of the Mafra River-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • Migration Crossing the Mara River.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • Migration Crosssing of the Mara River-3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Really good ones!! I really like the elephant grazing pic.

Very nice! Which, if any, are drone shots?
They will be coming when I complete editing of these still images and start on the video which will include drone and time lapse videos .
Drones are strictly prohibited in the national parks as much as I would have loved to put my mini 2.
At the river’s edge there was a highly professional film crew with a video camera on a boom and a huge drone in the air above the crossing
Evidently they had numerous approvals by the Tanzanian government
I had a permit but not for National parks

Those are some really great shots. Just wondering where the Crocs were? Seem to always see footage of big crocs grabbing them as they cross the river.
I did not yet send the images of numerous dead wildebeests lying in the river with a vulture sitting on the corpse! and then there is this image- this one didn't make it. Click to enlarge. This one didn't make it.jpg

Reactions: MiragePro
Amazing stuff, especially the Wildebeast shots. crazy. Great job Dale, as usual.

Thanks Dale ...just wondering what the window is for this crossing so that the safari engage and don't arrive just as the ripples settle and the Crocs are out with the tooth pics.

Thanks Dale ...just wondering what the window is for this crossing so that the safari engage and don't arrive just as the ripples settle and the Crocs are out with the tooth pics.
The great migration is a year long clockwise journey for the wildebeests, and the following zebras. They never stop their grazing and seeking the greener grass and the rains. They can detect the changes in the moisture in the air and the weather patterns, and they move constantly. The height of the river crossings is July, August, and September. They drop their babies in January or February. The babies are able to run away from a predator within an hour or so from birth!

Many tourists have gone there and not seen the crossings! It is totally unpredictable. We have watched huge herds at the river's edge for hours and they then turn back and do not cross. This has happened to us many times. Patience is very necessary. For the crossings you are seeing in my images, we waited 3 hours. Our tents were 2 1/2 hrs of driving over bad terrain to get to the river! Very frustrating experience.

Several years ago we waited 3 1/2 hours in an open top vehicle in the broiling sun for a large herd at the river's edge. When it appeared they would finally cross, a lioness appeared and was seen by one of the zebras who vocalized a warning, and the herd scattered so that not a single animal was visible after 5 minutes (there were thousands gathered!). We never saw the crossing since we were due to depart for USA the next day. That's why we went back to Tanzania this time. We planned to spend 5 full days waiting and we were finally successful. You are lucky to even see these photos!!!

Reactions: Bryan L
Great shots Dale. If only you could fly there. Sure beats Miami.
I am assuming you mean fly a drone there! (Of course I can fly a plane to there). I could have easily broken the rules by flying over animals but chose not to. I did fly over the camps to get an establishing shot of the camp, but did it quickly...as I always say, I flew stealth! Up and out and back fast at an off hour when nobody was around.

Reactions: Bryan L
I am assuming you mean fly a drone there! (Of course I can fly a plane to there). I could have easily broken the rules by flying over animals but chose not to. I did fly over the camps to get an establishing shot of the camp, but did it quickly...as I always say, I flew stealth! Up and out and back fast at an off hour when nobody was around.
Of course fly a drone there. Unless you had taken a slow boat you would have to have flown.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada