DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 African Safari images group 5

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
These images were taken in the central Serengeti, where we had a 2 day stay at Elehene Tented Camp.

Please click on image to enlarge. All images shot with Nikon D750 and either 28-300 mm f/3.5-5.6 or Nikko4 600mm f/4.0 prime lens, and processed in Adobe Photoshop CC 2021 and NIK software.

On our 2 1/2 hour ride back to camp we were caught in a driving rainstorm in our open vehicle. The advantage was catching these amazing shots of a group of young lions enduing the rainstorm.If you magnify and look carefully you'll see the rain. Please click on the image to enlarge and enjoy-especially to see the driving rain.

1. Seven Lions in the rain
2. Solo lion in the rain
3. Six lions in the rain
4.Three Lions
5.Male lion
6. Male lion with safari vehicle
7. Lioness roars
8. Leopard in tree with recent kill
9. Secretary bird
10. Serval cat in grass

Lions in the rain.jpgMale Lion.jpgSafari vehicle encounters Male Lion.jpgLioness full roar.jpgLeopard in tree-wispy bue sky.jpgSecretary Bird.jpgServal Cat-2-Head shot.jpg

Attachments

• Seven Lions in the Rain.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • Solo Lion in the Rain.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • Six young Lions in the Rain.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
You sure have a great collection of images Dale.

Reactions: Droniac
You sure have a great collection of images Dale.
Hi Stanton- You are the 1st response to this grouping submission. I've been working all day since breakfast.

I was thrilled to see these images today during my never-ending ongoing editing of the long safari. I actually could not wait to get to my computer to work on these images today. The selections were so difficult. I have many more that I just cannot show. I have finally finished with this day of shooting and tomorrow will start on the next day of shoot. I worked long and hard to bring out the rain drops in those images.

By the way, this was the 1st serval cat I've seen in 13 trips to Africa. They are rare.

After I finish all still images I'll start to assemble the videos into Premiere and start working on the show. I'm afraid there is so much good material I will have to produce a Karlewski, if you know what I mean. He is our fine Colorado climber/droner who produces the 20 minute exciting adventures on the forum. No 3 minute film for this trip.!!!

Stay tuned. OF course, all comments are always welcomed.

Dale

Reactions: CvCow and MARK (LI)
Dale those photos are just over the top...incredibly beautiful....thank you so much for showing us your trip
So many thanks Mark. Thanks for really appreciating the beauty of these spectacular wild animals.

Reactions: Droniac
I thought the 7 lions in the rain is the most compelling image of those presented so far. That's the one that I'd print in a 30x40 and hang on my wall.

Any backstoy about image 5/7 ?!?
- Thats either an overly full belly or natal...

The "red as ****" brach behind has me wondering.

I thought the 7 lions in the rain is the most compelling image of those presented so far. That's the one that I'd print in a 30x40 and hang on my wall.
I kind of agree but the solo lion is also wonderful- they really tell a story. I'd flinch too if I was out in there rain like that!

Any backstoy about image 5/7 ?!?
- Thats either an overly full belly or natal...

The "red as ****" brach behind has me wondering.
Not really sure which image you are referring to. The leopard had a fresh kill in the branches if that is what you are referring to. Also, she has a baby on the above branch which did not show well so I cropped the baby out.

If you are talking about a back story with the lions- there was a huge male who hunted down and killed a wart hog right in front of us. The Lioness acted as a team with him, forcing the wart hog out into the open where the male got it. This male is shown being observed by a safari van group.

[image 5 of 7 on my end/observer]
I WAS referring to the 'fresh kill' bhind it, I didnt know what exatly it was ...

[image 5 of 7 on my end/observer]
I WAS referring to the 'fresh kill' bhind it, I didnt know what exatly it was ...
No problem. As you probably already know, leopards frequent lose their hard earned hunt and kill to other scavengers such as hyenas (they really hate hyenas!), larger predators (lions), and jackals. To protect their kill they have the immense strength to climb up a tree with the animal in their mouth and stash it safely, to be enjoyed at leisure, without a bunch of hyenas, jackals, vultures, ,ions, etc. nipping at the meal.

These images were taken in the central Serengeti, where we had a 2 day stay at Elehene Tented Camp.

Please click on image to enlarge. All images shot with Nikon D750 and either 28-300 mm f/3.5-5.6 or Nikko4 600mm f/4.0 prime lens, and processed in Adobe Photoshop CC 2021 and NIK software.

On our 2 1/2 hour ride back to camp we were caught in a driving rainstorm in our open vehicle. The advantage was catching these amazing shots of a group of young lions enduing the rainstorm.If you magnify and look carefully you'll see the rain. Please click on the image to enlarge and enjoy-especially to see the driving rain.

1. Seven Lions in the rain
2. Solo lion in the rain
3. Six lions in the rain
4.Three Lions
5.Male lion
6. Male lion with safari vehicle
7. Lioness roars
8. Leopard in tree with recent kill
9. Secretary bird
10. Serval cat in grass

View attachment 136049View attachment 136050View attachment 136051View attachment 136052View attachment 136053View attachment 136054View attachment 136055
FANTASTIC SHOTS

Outstanding!!! I’d recommend you put some in frames but I’d have a hard time choosing if I were you. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Awesome photos Dale! Thanks for sharing them with us!

I'm glad you have all those pictures to relive your adventure. Thanks for sharing with us. You sound a bit like my Father-in-law. In an earlier post you referred to 'throw-away' pics. He would do the same thing. He'd go to places like Yosemite or Yellowstone National Parks. Then he go through his pics to see which ones stood out to him. I'd look at his 'throw-aways' and only hope I could take pics anywhere close to them. His stand out shot were REALLY good.

I'm glad you have all those pictures to relive your adventure. Thanks for sharing with us. You sound a bit like my Father-in-law. In an earlier post you referred to 'throw-away' pics. He would do the same thing. He'd go to places like Yosemite or Yellowstone National Parks. Then he go through his pics to see which ones stood out to him. I'd look at his 'throw-aways' and only hope I could take pics anywhere close to them. His stand out shot were REALLY good.
I usually have a ratio of less than 10% keepers and probably closer to 5%.
if even that. With wildlife the moments are fleeting and a fraction of a second will make or break a shot. With my camera frequently on “continuous high” I am able to get off 6 frames per second (the higher model does 50 FPS).

Reactions: Prop Wash

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas