DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 African Safari

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
My wife and I are now back for 7 days (last Saturday) from our three week trip to Tanzania and Kenya. The trip was designed specifically to see the migration crossings of the Mara River which provides a border for the two countries in the area of the Serengeti in Tanzania and the Masai Mara in Kenya. The Serengeti is 8 times the size of the Mara and both are immense endless plains of raw beauty. They are both populated by abundant wildlife, acacia and baobab trees. We mostly stayed in more primitive tented camps in order to be closer to the Mara River for the migration crossings.

So now I am beginning the long sorting of the images, which number into the thousands, to try to create a short film. I will be sending some images regularly. The film will be submitted in due time.

Hope you enjoy them. Comments always welcomed. I actually did fly the Mini 2 around the camps but not out on safari since it is, of course, illegal to fly in a national park, including Tanzania and Kenya. I did have a Tanzania permit!

These images were shot in the Tarangiri Game Park in Tanzania. After many trips to Africa we finally managed to witness our first lion kill from hunt to meal. Hope these do not disturb anyone.

Dale Davis

Attachments

• Bloody Face.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Male-Impala.jpg
    Male-Impala.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Impala grouping.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Zebra Grouping.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • Lionesse over kill.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Lion kill-choking.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Two-lions-one choking wildebeest.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Lions over wildebeest.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Lions-eating wildebeest.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Vulture.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 128
Glad you're back - Glad to hear the trip went well - The pics are very good. Can't wait for the video!!

Last edited:
Youch $ or £
The Nikkor 600mm f/4.0 prime lens costs $13,000 USD. I rented it for 3 weeks for $800.00 USD. It was worth every single penny. Wait until you see the results in the coming publications on this forum, if it is allowed. The drone shots will eventually be included in the final film.

The Nikkor 600mm f/4.0 prime lens costs $13,000 USD. I rented it for 3 weeks for $800.00 USD. It was worth every single penny. Wait until you see the results in the coming publications on this forum, if it is allowed. The drone shots will eventually be included in the final film.
Amazing quality when you zoom in! Looking forward to the video! Welcome home.

No shortage of lion food…on the go. Well done and looking forward to more.

Great photos. Did you watch the lions bring down the gnu? And I'll have to look into renting a lens (hadn't even thought about that) for my trip to South Africa next year. Welcome home.

Great photos. Did you watch the lions bring down the gnu? And I'll have to look into renting a lens (hadn't even thought about that) for my trip to South Africa next year. Welcome home.
Yes- we saw the actual kill- our first after 12 safaris! You can see the lioness delivering the coup de grace with the choke hold. If you wasn't information about lensed rental, writ to me on private conversation. It's really the way to go but be prepared to travel with a heavy object and to wield it effectively in the safari vehicle. Sand bags are a big help. Tripod a waste in the vehicle. I had a gimbal but it was not practical.

Attachments

• Two-lions-one choking wildebeest.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Lion kill-choking.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Really pleased for you Dale that you were able to pursue your passion on such an exciting and rewarding overseas travel adventure.
I guess Covid was a consideration, but I am sure that you took as many precautions as you did for the lion safari.
Loved your photos and looking forward to what is to come.
No international travel yet Down Under.

Really pleased for you Dale that you were able to pursue your passion on such an exciting and rewarding overseas travel adventure.
I guess Covid was a consideration, but I am sure that you took as many precautions as you did for the lion safari.
Loved your photos and looking forward to what is to come.
No international travel yet Down Under.
Thanks Maxwell. (or should I say Mate?).

I have a philosophy on life that probably differs from many others. I do my utmost to keep healthy and safe but I never stop living. Carol (my wife) and I are triple vaccinated. We both got the Pfizer in Jan and Feb of 2020 and then a booster before it was recommended about a month before the safari. Probably one of the safest places is out there in the Serengeti or the Masai Mara! ! The planes were safe (Qatar airways was very careful). We were required to have negative Covid PRC tests 5 times! Both before, during and coming home. One test was actuality done out on the Masai Mara! A truck rolled up and we both had our noses swabbed! The results were on my phone and I had a hotel in Nairobi print out copies to get back into Qatar (in Doha) and in New York City (JFK).

The biggest hitch came when we were checking in for the outbound flight at American Airlines to JFK. Our covid test had not yet come in the e-mail. They refused to print our boarding passes. !!! I saw a lot of money going up in smoke! Then, the agent told us there was a rapid test at the Miami airport. We had to pay USD$175 per person, but got the test in 20 minutes! And we were off! At age 83 and wife 77, we are no spring chickens but we were determined to go.

Here are a few more images. double click for enlargementsLilac Breasted Roller.jpgLilacBreastedRoller-w sky.jpgLilacBrested Roller-on braches.jpgStarling.jpg

Attachments

• Herron_4859.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Leopard in a tree.jpg
    Leopard in a tree.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • Ten vultures.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Mingling Zebras.jpg
    833.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Mingling Zebras-BW.jpg
    881.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Kingfisher-3.jpg
    766.4 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for sharing your close call experience that ended well.
It's great that you can continue to share such an adventurous life with your loved one (not your drone or your camera LOL). I was enjoying your Smugmug sight when this came through. You are gifted in so many ways. You would have made a very interesting couple to live next door to.
Keep up the good work ...neighbour!

Thanks for sharing your close call experience that ended well.
It's great that you can continue to share such an adventurous life with your loved one (not your drone or your camera LOL). I was enjoying your Smugmug sight when this came through. You are gifted in so many ways. You would have made a very interesting couple to live next door to.
Keep up the good work ...neighbour!
Many thanks for your kind words and looking at the Smug Mug Site. We have traveled to over 100 countries so that site is not really complete. It's gonna take me a long time to generate a video of this trip. I am editing all day long and have only covered the first 2 days of the trip. (the trip was 17 days). Tons of stills, videos, drone, timelapses to go through plus sorting and tossing out some of the thousands of images.

Reactions: Mavic Maxwell
Many thanks for your kind words and looking at the Smug Mug Site. We have traveled to over 100 countries so that site is not really complete. It's gonna take me a long time to generate a video of this trip. I am editing all day long and have only covered the first 2 days of the trip. (the trip was 17 days). Tons of stills, videos, drone, timelapses to go through plus sorting and tossing out some of the thousands of images.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User