DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 AfricanSafari group 8-the great wildebeest migration

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
On September 19th, we finally saw what we came to see, and what we have been dreaming of seeing for years of trying. We have been to this area before several years ago but never saw a river crossing. The year round amazing phenomenon of the wildebeest migration never ceases to awe. The animals have the incredible ability to follow the rains and the clouds and the grass, which is alway greener further on. The migration follows a clockwise path throughout the year between the countries of Tanzania and Kenya. These images were shot from the Tanzania side, as the wildebeests leapt over high shore cliffs into the dangerous waters of the Mara River, separating the two countries. They fully know about the waiting crocodiles, and they often abort their crossing. But to watch the slow amassing of huge numbers of animals (hundreds of thousands) collect on the shore and read the river and finally decide to cross, is one of the greatest sights in the world. Enjoy these. I have way too many to show. This is just a small sampler.

I shall remember these images for the rest of my life.

Enjoy! All comments always welcomed.

Attachments

• Wildebeests Amassing to cross.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • Wildebeest leaping off embankment.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • Wildebeests in the river-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • Massive entry to river-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • Massive Wildebeest entry to Mara-.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • Splashing into the Mara River.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • Splashing into the Mara River-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
Holy Beasts, that a lot of Nature, you must have been holding your breath.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
To be there and watch this astounding and awesome spectacle was one of the highlights of my lifetimes of travel. The sounds of the grunting, and the water rushing, and the dust and splashing and turmoil...everything happening all at once, I didn't know where to point my lens first. Tones of things going on simultanenously everywhere. I have a video but it will be a part of my overall production, if I ever finish editing.

Dale

You are secretly working for the next series of the BBC's "Life" videos, aren't you?
If not I bet you'd love them if you can get the DVD's etc.
The crocs gather for that crossing.

• Love
Reactions: Droniac
On September 19th, we finally saw what we came to see, and what we have been dreaming of seeing for years of trying. We have been to this area before several years ago but never saw a river crossing. The year round amazing phenomenon of the wildebeest migration never ceases to awe. The animals have the incredible ability to follow the rains and the clouds and the grass, which is alway greener further on. The migration follows a clockwise path throughout the year between the countries of Tanzania and Kenya. These images were shot from the Tanzania side, as the wildebeests leapt over high shore cliffs into the dangerous waters of the Mara River, separating the two countries. They fully know about the waiting crocodiles, and they often abort their crossing. But to watch the slow amassing of huge numbers of animals (hundreds of thousands) collect on the shore and read the river and finally decide to cross, is one of the greatest sights in the world. Enjoy these. I have way too many to show. This is just a small sampler.

Stunning pictures!

Reactions: Droniac

Wow... that's amazing! Were they being chased by a pride of lions... or hyenas?

It's stunning to look @ all those animals moving in unison. Can't imagine seeing what you saw, felt and heard.

Wow... that's amazing! Were they being chased by a pride of lions... or hyenas?
Actually no
We have lost out on numerous crossings when they see a lion they retreat and disappear
All ten thousand of them in less than 3 minutes

Last edited:
Incredible timing! Thanks for posting these photos.
Yes we were really lucky. We had seen several other small er crossings but this one was the grand daddy of all crossings. Lucky indeed.

Expected nothing less based on your previous work. Extraordinary. Great stuff!!! Godspeed, Dale! Droniac

Thanks for those comments. Still have a few more in the tank that I am working on. Then, when all the stills are edited, I will start assembling the video.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo