DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

After flying for the 3rd time. I'm afraid I'm going to hit a bird eventually

blong10

Reactions
I finally took my Mavic 2s out today to do a nice flight over some farms to get some good footage. I could see on the screen multiple birds completely coming out of nowhere almost like a rocket and miss the drone closely. I was probably moving at 20mph these birds have to be flying like 50-60+ I uploaded a video here for you to see. The first near-miss is around the 38-45 sec mark on the right-hand side. It happens so far if you blink you miss it. I was flying around 213 FT. I don't there is a way to possibly avoid this I just don't want to get hit by these birds.

If you watch the video there are several close calls.

Hi,
Sometimes birds can feel threatened by the drone, especially when breeding.
There are cases known of birds attacking drones for coming too close to nests.
Look on YT for examples of videos showing bird attacks.
If approach is a coincidence the bird has such a quick reaction that they avoid crashing into what they regard to be another bird.
When under attack ascending is the best option as your drone has a far greater rate of ascent than the bird. Your natural reaction would be to descent but an attacking bird is nimble to dive after you, its perceived threat.
Stay within VLOS, so you can see a bird approach from the rear.

Ruud

If you watch the video there are several close calls.
Those were very close calls .. they were within a few inches of your camera.
But they aren't birds at all.
They are little bits of fluff drifting on the breeze and travelling no faster than it.
You don't need to worry about them at all.

Reactions: hiflyer201
They are little bits of fluff drifting on the breeze and travelling no faster than it.

That makes me feel so much better. It's almost impossible for me to pause it and slow it down to get a better look at how fast it is moving. I've seen some birds when flying and they were so much slower and easier to identify when flying. this thing is at the speed of light lol

That makes me feel so much better. It's almost impossible for me to pause it and slow it down to get a better look at how fast it is moving. I've seen some birds when flying and they were so much slower and easier to identify when flying. this thing is at the speed of light lol
It's not fast at all.
It's small, like a drifting dandelion seed.
Being small, it's not visible until it's quite close and out of focus.
All the speed is due to the drone's motion past it.
But the distance moved while it's visible is very small.
shutterstock_617488823.width-2000.jpg

Reactions: EyesWideShut
lol I was about to say, if you think the thing at 0:45 was a bird then it was traveling at light speed. These aren't birds - great footage though!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty