DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AI created letter to a neighbor

TonyPHX

Chuck Norris's drones don't crash.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
As purely an exercise in curiosity, I wondered how openai would address the legality of drone flight. The resulting letter was machine generated. Not my commentary. Sharing to just illuminate how the available corpus of data out there has influenced the response to the subject. For the record, I am not a fan of flying over my neighbors any more than I am of alerting them if was going to. : )

Dear Neighbor,
I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits. I am writing to inform you about my plans to fly a drone in the vicinity of our neighborhood, including over your house. I understand that this might raise concerns, so I would like to take a moment to explain why drone flying is legal and why I have decided to engage in this activity.
First and foremost, drones have become increasingly popular in recent years, and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has set regulations to govern their use. According to the FAA, as long as drone pilots follow the rules and guidelines, they are allowed to fly their drones for recreational or commercial purposes.
I take the responsibility of flying my drone seriously, and I have taken all necessary precautions to ensure that it will not cause any harm or disruption to you or your property. I will be flying the drone in accordance with the FAA regulations, including keeping it below 400 feet and away from restricted airspace, such as airports.
Additionally, I will be flying the drone at a reasonable hour and for a limited amount of time to minimize any potential disturbance. I want to assure you that my drone will not cause any harm to you or your property, and I will make every effort to ensure a smooth and safe flying experience.
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope this explanation has helped address any concerns you might have had about my drone flying. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
Best regards, [Your Name]

Why create a problem which likely doesn't exist?
If there is already a problem, then fly elsewhere.
Actually speaking to your neighbors and being friendly and sociable is probably a better option.

I have flown in many neighborhoods. My own for the fun of it, and many others doing Residential Real Estate.

I have been doing so since 2015 and have not had one confrontation.

I always try to dress and act professionally and have not ever been asked what I was doing.

Might be luck, or the way I present myself, who knows?

Why create a problem which likely doesn't exist?
If there is already a problem, then fly elsewhere.
Actually speaking to your neighbors and being friendly and sociable is probably a better option.
FLDave, I think you missed the intent of my post. I am not actually suggesting the idea of a letter. What I was exploring was how a AI generated request would respond on the subject of the legality of drones. I am not endorsing anything in the message, just sharing commentary on how machine learning offers a view (perhaps not even correct) on a subject.

I tried to make that clear in my post prior to the actual AI generated content. I may have missed that mark this time.

FLDave, I think you missed the intent of my post. I am not actually suggesting the idea of a letter. What I was exploring was how a AI generated request would respond on the subject of the legality of drones. I am not endorsing anything in the message, just sharing commentary on how machine learning offers a view (perhaps not even correct) on a subject.

I tried to make that clear in my post prior to the actual AI generated content. I may have missed that mark this time.

As purely an exercise in curiosity, I wondered how openai would address the legality of drone flight. The resulting letter was machine generated. Not my commentary. Sharing to just illuminate how the available corpus of data out there has influenced the response to the subject. For the record, I am not a fan of flying over my neighbors any more than I am of alerting them if was going to. : )

Dear Neighbor,
I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits. I am writing to inform you about my plans to fly a drone in the vicinity of our neighborhood, including over your house. I understand that this might raise concerns, so I would like to take a moment to explain why drone flying is legal and why I have decided to engage in this activity.
First and foremost, drones have become increasingly popular in recent years, and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has set regulations to govern their use. According to the FAA, as long as drone pilots follow the rules and guidelines, they are allowed to fly their drones for recreational or commercial purposes.
I take the responsibility of flying my drone seriously, and I have taken all necessary precautions to ensure that it will not cause any harm or disruption to you or your property. I will be flying the drone in accordance with the FAA regulations, including keeping it below 400 feet and away from restricted airspace, such as airports.
Additionally, I will be flying the drone at a reasonable hour and for a limited amount of time to minimize any potential disturbance. I want to assure you that my drone will not cause any harm to you or your property, and I will make every effort to ensure a smooth and safe flying experience.
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope this explanation has helped address any concerns you might have had about my drone flying. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Dear Neighbor,
As previously mentioned, why create a problem that doesn’t exist. I can’t think of a situation where i would ever send this letter. It is very impersonal and implies, “I fly a drone in the neighborhood legally and there is nothing you can do to stop me.”
If I had, or thought I had a problem, I would first go to my neighbor, knock on the door and have a friendly conversation with them.

• Wow
Reactions: TonyPHX
Scary what AI can do. It's actually a very nice letter. Probably better than something I could compose if required.

Luckily, I've only been confronted once in an RV park by a grump who said she would shoot it down and that I was invading her privacy. I showed her the video and she now understands that none of us are interested in spying.

AI generated text has become scarily good. The letter addressed legality and safety. It was interesting that this AI text did not address the key concern of many people that you are spying on them and filming them without their permission.

Interesting how well AI was able to write this. I am pleasantly surprised.
I know your intent was to test the AI program's capabilities and not that you needed the letter, but
I'm actually going to save this letter. It may be something my HOA members would appreciate.
We have an "HOA light" - very hands off, minimal rules, but a lot of respect for each other. We tend to notify our neighbors if we feel an activity my be disruptful of others peace or privacy, etc.
While others here may see it a creating a problem, I know it would alleviate issues here with a few of the neighors.

As previously mentioned, why create a problem that doesn’t exist. I can’t think of a situation where i would ever send this letter. It is very impersonal and implies, “I fly a drone in the neighborhood legally and there is nothing you can do to stop me.”
If I had, or thought I had a problem, I would first go to my neighbor, knock on the door and have a friendly conversation with them.
You are totally missing the point. This is not about sending a letter to a neighbor. This is about using AI (applications such as chatgpt) to create the substance of a topic (in this case a letter to a neighbor) using the body of online data. It's quite impressive.

Dear Neighbor,
ChatGPT is a very cool tool! I agree if you are flying your neighbourhood, there is no need to forwarn neighbours. However with a few alternations it might serve as a handout to bystanders asking questions. ChatGTP is just the beginning of what is coming. It will make google search obsloete before too long I think. Ask a question and it brings you the answer instead of a list of link pages you have to sort through. Seems everybody is using it as it is often too busy to get into.

The letter addressed legality and safety.
I'm actually going to save this letter. It may be something my HOA members would appreciate.

It even touched on 'consideration for others' and mitigating noise / disturbance of others by making flights at reasonable hours.

Quite incredible it can create such a decent letter for sure.
I wasn't even aware these sites exist . . .

"As previously mentioned?"

I think you are either not fully reading my post or perhaps are trying to get a a rise out of me. This is approaching a Seinfeld moment.

You are totally missing the point. This is not about sending a letter to a neighbor. This is about using AI (applications such as chatgpt) to create the substance of a topic (in this case a letter to a neighbor) using the body of online data. It's quite impressive.
Exactly. This.

I am now wondering if the same technology can help re-focus a discussion if somebody is not understanding the original topic?

Reactions: Torque
Ok, but the letter is still very “robotic”. I would have to do a lot of editing before I would ever use it. Any topic, it doesn’t matter.

Why not write down the main points you want to use in your letter and then put it together with your god given skills? First thing I would do with this letter, would be to draw a big red line through the first line.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: TonyPHX and Torque
Ok, but the letter is still very “robotic”. I would have to do a lot of editing before I would ever use it. Any topic, it doesn’t matter.

Why not write down the main points you want to use in your letter and then put it together with your god given skills? First thing I would do with this letter, would be to draw a big red line through the first line.
You are still completely missing the point. The OP's objective was not to generate a useable letter, but to explore the slant of the knowledge base used by AI on the subject of drones and public concern about drones, which is derived primarily from internet content, by tasking it with writing a letter on that subject.

You are still completely missing the point. The OP's objective was not to generate a useable letter, but to explore the slant of the knowledge base used by AI on the subject of drones and public concern about drones, which is derived primarily from internet content, by tasking it with writing a letter on that subject.
No, i don’t think so. We, as a society are now too reliant on computers for almost everything. You don’t agree and that’s fine. I would have no use for the use of this OP.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: TonyPHX and Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore