DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 did not execute POI

frcaloy

Reactions
Hi, I flew my Air 2 this morning after mounting a freewell ND32 anamorphic lens. I calibrated the gimbal because the lens is heavier at 2.38g compared to 1.2g of the regular ND filters. Flew ok except when I tried to execute a POI over my building. Instead of circling, the drone flew backwards away from the POI. I aborted the maneuver and tried several more times with the same result. I ordered a RTH which was flawlessly executed.

I reverted to the regular ND filter, calibrated the gimbal and calibrated the compass. The drone perfectly circled over the POI during the second flight. It's probably compass error which prevented the drone circling the POI during the first flight although the pre flight indicated that the compass calibration was normal.

I will regularly calibrate the compass before every flight from now on.

Hi, I flew my Air 2 this morning after mounting a freewell ND32 anamorphic lens. I calibrated the gimbal because the lens is heavier at 2.38g compared to 1.2g of the regular ND filters. Flew ok except when I tried to execute a POI over my building. Instead of circling, the drone flew backwards away from the POI. I aborted the maneuver and tried several more times with the same result. I ordered a RTH which was flawlessly executed.

I reverted to the regular ND filter, calibrated the gimbal and calibrated the compass. The drone perfectly circled over the POI during the second flight. It's probably compass error which prevented the drone circling the POI during the first flight although the pre flight indicated that the compass calibration was normal.

Any added third party accessory, like an overweight anamorphic lens placed over the normal lens, can cause unpredictable results, and certainly also stresses the fragile gimbal, which was never designed to handle such excess weight. It will also inevitably void your DJI warranty. Use at your own risk.

What was your reason for an anamorphic lens? Was it to have intentional fuzziness? My suspicion would be that fuzziness made it impossible for the Air 2s to detect a sharp image for POI. If you really want the lens you might try a more sharply defined high contrast POI. It would take some trial and error if the image sharpness is the issue.
That's a separate concern from the extra weight.

Maybe try putting the anamorphic lens back on, after the successful POI, just to see if it actually was the compass cal or the heavier filter.

I used the anamorphic lens before and the POI was working fine. It was just that one time. I use it to have a wide angle effect and lens flare.

Hello,
Try updates. I haven't had a compass issue with it. Sometimes the Mavic Air 2 wont POI. Try lowering your altitude. See if you can zoom in on the subject. These work for me.
The Mavic Air 2 is a dependable drone, as I sometimes use it for work. Its's a quieter drone for missions, where you may want to draw less attention.

There is absolutely no reason to calibrate compass with every flight unless you get a definite warning to do so.
Compass problems usually arise from local takeoff interference, for eg rebar in the surface you take off from.
Doing regular calibrations run the real risk of actually introducing problems.
I have the original MP, Air2 and Air2 S and at no time have I done a compass calibration.
If you feel you must then go ahead but it is not necessary.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest