DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Drifting

Paul Stocum

Reactions
At the time of the flight, winds on the ground was about 14mph. After my drift challenge and safely landing my drone, I cancelled the flight and will reschedule. On way to highway to go home, I was stopped on top of an overpass with no obstacles to the wind, my Anemometer holding above my truck (while stopped) showed a sustained 20-21 mph. So I'm thinking at 100', I was getting substantially more wind, hence the drift.

My question though, is the drone didn't seem to fight the wind. Normally it would lean into it somewhat to try to hold the position. Could a compass calibration have been a fix/cause? Any other thoughts on what could be the problem? I had just done some updates prior to flight.

Here is a link to the flight data: Flight Data

At the time of the flight, winds on the ground was about 14mph. After my drift challenge and safely landing my drone, I cancelled the flight and will reschedule. On way to highway to go home, I was stopped on top of an overpass with no obstacles to the wind, my Anemometer holding above my truck (while stopped) showed a sustained 20-21 mph. So I'm thinking at 100', I was getting substantially more wind, hence the drift.

My question though, is the drone didn't seem to fight the wind. Normally it would lean into it somewhat to try to hold the position. Could a compass calibration have been a fix/cause? Any other thoughts on what could be the problem? I had just done some updates prior to flight.

The wind was probably worse than you thought at 100'. The Air 2 is only rated for 24mph winds so if you were seeing some drift without a blow-away resulting in a lost drone then the drone was fighting the wind even if you couldn't see it.

Reactions: Speedster 1966
The wind was probably worse than you thought at 100'. The Air 2 is only rated for 24mph winds so if you were seeing some drift without a blow-away resulting in a lost drone then the drone was fighting the wind even if you couldn't see it.
You are probably right. I normally would see "high winds" warnings with the lean to fight the winds, is why I put this out in case there could be other causes or ideas.

You didn't leave the drone hovering for long to see much drifting.
But there was about 6 seconds at 1:30, when the drone loks like it was drifting at approx 1 mph.
The pitch and roll data shows angles of less than 10°, so the drone wasn't putting up any fight at all.
If it was being set off, you would expect to see 20° or more.

I'm not sure of the cause, but it definitely won't have had anything to do with compass calibration.
As it was only for 6 sec and the drone was slowing down for half of that, it didn't get much time to stabilise and it's not really long enough to tell much.
Perhaps if it had 10 seconds extra, it might have had a chance to do what it should?

Reactions: twickers14
Drifting issues are normally caused by poorly calibrated IMU or RC.
Calibrate both using DJI Fly. IMU Calibration is in the Safety tab, RC Controller Calibration is in Control tab.

Reactions: Paul Stocum
I went back the next day, and the winds were more manageable. I only had one "high wind" warning. A job that would normally have me go through 1.5-1.75 batteries, took 2.5 batteries because of the extra work to combat what wind I had yesterday (included photos).

Here is the result: YouTube Link to Drone video

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie