DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 S went nuts on second flight.

Desert Sands

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I went to fly my 2S today and had a very weird thing happen. I connected the 2S to its smart controller, started props and let them spin up... then manually took off. It was hovering at about 25 feet... then I pushed Right stick forward... the 2S shot straight up... now it's hovering at 40 feet... I tried left and right on left stick, and 2S yawed as it should.... pushed down or right stick... 2S jumped UP again. I realized there was a serious problem so tried to hold left stick down... aircraft continued to hover. Pressed landing button on smart controller. Message appeared on screen "area not suitable for landing" it was directly over my landing pad.

Left and Right on Right Stick work fine. (Roll left or Right).

I kept trying alternating left stick down... and RTH/land button on SC.... no joy....controller kept repeating landing....landing....landing... then I heard the pitch change in the prop sound.... so tried down or Left stick and it came down and was able to land.

Thinking it was an SC problem, I took off from home with the standard controller. The Exact same thing happened. So there is obviously a problem with 2S. Has anyone else seen a problem like this before? I am reporting it to DJI tech support and I have grounded aircraft pending recommendations from DJI.

When I get home tonight I will do that... where do I find the log file... and what kind of file name should I look for.

Thanks,

Joe

Well I thought that too... but they are not... I could understand the Unable to land being a sensor error... but wouldn't think that would cause upward motion on a forward back control stick input. Both times I flew it today, I heard the sound of the props change without any stick input... right before I was finally able to land it.

Joe

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Update

I updated firmware on aircraft to the most current version, Calibrated the Smart Controller and did an IMU and Compass calibration. All is well, now, I hovered at low altitude and moved all directions, and was able to have very good control of the UAS once again. While I'm not sure what changed from a successful first flight, to the near disaster of the second. I'll attribute it to a "one off" and run the drone in a safe area without people or animals around, to make sure this "Cure" will hold.

Will advise any other issues. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Well I thought that too... but they are not... I could understand the Unable to land being a sensor error... but wouldn't think that would cause upward motion on a forward back control stick input. Both times I flew it today, I heard the sound of the props change without any stick input... right before I was finally able to land it.

Joe

Hi Joe,

The following link explains the process (step 3) as well as what gets recorded.

If you post the logs here as an attachment someone will be able to interpret them for you and hopefully advise what happened.

Greetings! thanks for sharing!

Here is the only flight records I have on SC.

All seems well since the updates.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-06-13_[14-23-26].txt
    206.6 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.

That flight was at 11.23pm, June 12.
It never went higher than 12ft.
The drone responded normally to your joystick inputs
Yes, apparently the drone auto deletes .txt files from previous flights... I understand there is a menu setting to prevent that. The flight in question was after the calibrations and update.

I have .dat files from the "problem" flights, but the files are ginormous.

Anyway, after calibrations and update the problem appears solves.

Thank you all for your vigilance.

Joe

Yes, apparently the drone auto deletes .txt files from previous flights... I understand there is a menu setting to prevent that. The flight in question was after the calibrations and update.
Your drone does not auto-delete flight records.
If you can't find the files, Airdata could.

Your drone does not auto-delete flight records.
If you can't find the files, Airdata could.
Well, I'm not sure why I could find the ONLY .txt file and can't find others... maybe the drone just randomly puts files here and there... who knows?
I read on another forum that unless you turn off a setting in the fly app, it keeps only most recent flight... I am new to airdata... so is there an app I need to install to find the flight data (As mentioned earlier... I do have the .dat files which were unreadable when I tried uploading them to air data.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Well, I'm not sure why I could find the ONLY .txt file and can't find others... maybe the drone just randomly puts files here and there... who knows?
I don't have a smart controller to check but it should have a similar page to this one showing what flight data it has saved:
i-bZRmd8Q-L.jpg

Does yours only show one flight there or more than one?
I read on another forum that unless you turn off a setting in the fly app, it keeps only most recent flight...
That sounds most unlikely and is probably someone that confused spreading misinformation.
DJI apps keep your flight records so you can access flight data, going way back.
I am new to airdata... so is there an app I need to install to find the flight data
I don't use AIrdata, but had a case of a smart controller user who couldn't find his flight records and believed there were none on his SC, but later came back saying that Airdata found them.

(As mentioned earlier... I do have the .dat files which were unreadable when I tried uploading them to air data.
That's because Airdata reads .txt files

Update 6-17. Today I updated my Smart Controller and DJI Mini 2 to allow the same smart controller to control the mini. That frees me from having phone for either drone. (FYI, DJI just released an update for Mini 2 and Smart Controller to allow SC to control Mini 2). The update worked great... Then I went to try the 2 S, and the problem described at the beginning of this thread returned... Today I have confirmed it is a sensor problem. I had the avoidance on, and set to bypass Anyway, press forward, 2s jumps upward... Press down, wont land... says landing area not suitable.

Turn off avoidance... normal operation returns... I looked carefully at each sensor, and I noticed what appears to be an O-Ring or some other rubber band like thing inside the downward sensors... see picture... is this normal? It does not look like this on my MP2, and Yes I know it isn't the same exact sensor on MP2.

Although I would like to have the obstacle avoidance I can, at least, fly it, but am very reluctant to.

Any ideas or comments from other 2S owners on the appearance of the 2S downward sensors would be appreciated.

Next stop is a trouble ticket with DJI.

By the way, there was nothing within 50 feet of the drone, and it was beeping like it saw some kind of obstacle. I flew the MP2 in the same area, and it does NOT act this way.

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

• 2s sensor picture.jpg
    2s sensor picture.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
The more I think about it... it makes perfect sense... partial obstruction of down sensors tells drone it has something below it...so Right Stick up and 2S jumps up to avoid obstacle... L/R roll is defeated since sensor shows obstacles... can't land because down sensor shows obstacles... on closer review, it looks like some sort of weather proofing for the sensors thst has shrunk or deteriorated... anyway.. I'll let you know what DJI says.

Joe

The front sensor in your photo doesn’t look like it is seated correctly. It appears to have moved back into the chassis.

Yes it looks that way in pic... but what you are seeing is a small rubber band (o-ring?) That forms the circle in the left side of the sensor. The lense of the sensor appears to be OK... but is partially blocked by the right edge of the circular band like object between the sensor lens and the protective glass cover. I believe it to be a small O-ring that is there to prevent water migration into the sensor... perhaps they were dislodged in shipping from China?

Joe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000