DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 vs Pro 2

After some googling and reading here, I'm getting very mixed feedback. The Pro 2 models come used at the same price the Air 2 models come new, but look worse on paper. Why is this? Which is better, and why? :

Air 2S vs 2 pro
Air 2 vs 2 zoom

Cheers

A lot of it is personal opinion and much of the ‘reviews’ on YouTube etc are garbage. An experienced pilot who owns both is in a better position to compare and form a sensible and unbiased opinion. There are many on the forum who can advise.

From experience in photography I would say the Mavic 2 Pro has the edge in image quality. It’s variable aperture is also of great benefit, something not available on the smaller Mavics.

However, it is a model that is getting longer in the tooth and parts and batteries are likely to become scarce in a year or so. There have been battery issues with this model with a bad batch in 2018, so buying a used model would be wise to check the battery dates and check to make sure they are completely flat on the base, which is where the swelling occurs.

The Mavic 2 Zoom is very similar to the Mavic 2 Pro but with a smaller sensor so all the above applies.

The Air2 is now an older model and parts will eventually become scarce.

The Air2S is a new model with a very good camera and will be around for a few years yet. It’s very popular with forum members here.

If I were to buy again I would buy the Air2S unless a future Mavic 3 is released with a better camera in the meantime.

At the end of the day it’s best to say exactly what you want to use yoir drone for (stills or video) to see what best matches your needs.

Reactions: Kilboar
The Air2 is now an older model and parts will eventually become scarce.
Old? Unless I'm mistaken, the MA2 was released in early 2020...which is a little over a year ago. Not only that, the same battery (a key replacement part) is also used in the A2S. So, I would think there's a lot of runway left (pun intended) for the MA2.

Old? Unless I'm mistaken, the MA2 was released in early 2020...which is a little over a year ago. Not only that, the same battery (a key replacement part) is also used in the A2S. So, I would think there's a lot of runway left (pun intended) for the MA2.
Getting 2 batteries with the Zoom for 130$ less than the Air2, so I'm good with lesser support. Not too worried about repairing batteries myself if need be. Done it before :)

Getting 2 batteries with the Zoom for 130$ less than the Air2, so I'm good with lesser support. Not too worried about repairing batteries myself if need be. Done it before :)
That's nice, but I think you can agree the "average" person will not be repairing batteries. ;)

Reactions: eligri
Great, seller backed out halfway to his house. What a D head.

Back on the market.
Zoom 2 used for same price as Air 2, which is better?
Pro 2 vs Air 2S if I upp my budget?

Cheers

Depends upon the use (IMHO)

I totally agree, there's plenty of life left in the MA2. And a great all-rounder.

M2P if size for easier travel etc is not an issue, or it a more compact drone package is desired, the Air2s is not that far behind in camera, or for video work.

Air2 likewise is excellent quality video, and photos reasonable . . . you have to work the camera as best you can.
Even my brother-in-laws older original Air takes absolutely beautiful video footage, so crisp.

I'm a big Go4 fan over the Fly app, so the M2P would be my preference, get a good stock of batteries if you go with an M2, maybe 6 or so . . . not 100% sure if the M2E/A batteries are same pricing as the normal M2 batts, but plain OEM M2 batts are getting hard to source now.

If you really want a great travel drone, that's easy to take on aircraft, or a small bag for car travel / hiking, the Mini 2 is hard to beat and takes great photos and video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr