DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s 22mm vs Pro 2 28mm

offtheback

Reactions
To me that's an advantage over my 28 in the 2pro considering the 400' altitude restriction.There is some correctable distortion in the 2pro.Wonder how much distortion in in the 2s.

To me that's an advantage over my 28 in the 2pro considering the 400' altitude restriction.
It's not a clear cut advantage.
It's just different.
It could be nice if you need a wider angle.
IBut not so if you want a less wide angle.

Reactions: offtheback
Somewhere I saw comparative photos of brick wall and A2s showed less distortion even in Raw.
another A2s video showed props in corner of frame.
So A2s might need some cropping depending on gimbal angle.

Reactions: ehje
That view of props is a real concern, looks like DJI have taken a step backwards with the A2s. I had contemplated getting one but now am concerned that props show up too much.

I have been flying an Air 2 over the last month. Got my Air 2s yesterday. Took it out for several flights this morning. There is definitely an issue with distortion compared to the Air 2 and not in a good way. Furthermore, there's a big difference in the way the Air 2s focuses. I'm assuming the larger sensor narrows the depth of field, which means--unlike the Air 2--you have to really pay attention to your focus and adjust it constantly. I came home with an hour of blurry footage which has NEVER happened with the Air 2. Pilot error probably, but having to worry about focus is distracting to say the least. If you have an Air 2, I wouldn't sell it without test driving the Air 2s first. I may be sending the new Air 2s back.

I have been flying an Air 2 over the last month. Got my Air 2s yesterday. Took it out for several flights this morning. There is definitely an issue with distortion compared to the Air 2 and not in a good way. Furthermore, there's a big difference in the way the Air 2s focuses. I'm assuming the larger sensor narrows the depth of field, which means--unlike the Air 2--you have to really pay attention to your focus and adjust it constantly. I came home with an hour of blurry footage which has NEVER happened with the Air 2. Pilot error probably, but having to worry about focus is distracting to say the least. If you have an Air 2, I wouldn't sell it without test driving the Air 2s first. I may be sending the new Air 2s back.
Not sure but sounds like depth of field on a 22mm lens is pretty deep on a 1" sensor.Focused at 20' depth of field is 4.85'-infinity.The calculator I used A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator
So if you focus manually on something 20' away all is in focus 4.85' on.Does the 2S have focus peaking?You can be even more conservative if you know your closets object is further than 20'.At a 10' focus depth of field is 3.9'-Infinity.

Not sure but sounds like depth of field on a 22mm lens is pretty deep on a 1" sensor.Focused at 20' depth of field is 4.85'-infinity.The calculator I used A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator
So if you focus manually on something 20' away all is in focus 4.85' on.Does the 2S have focus peaking?You can be even more conservative if you know your closets object is further than 20'.At a 10' focus depth of field is 3.9'-Infinity.
Then it must be something else. Testing it again this afternoon

With no optical zoom added to the new model, I will stay with my Air 2. It does everything that I need really well. One year in use and absolutely on point, every flight.

Somewhere I saw comparative photos of brick wall and A2s showed less distortion even in Raw.
another A2s video showed props in corner of frame.
So A2s might need some cropping depending on gimbal angle.
I took mine for a flight and the props only really showed up during sport mode when diving/turning and I was heading into a breeze and even then it's not super apparent. If you're filming in the 5.4k mode you can easily crop it out and back down to 4k.

Reactions: sarimento1
must confess that i had just ordered a M2P and then the Air2S was confirmed. I sent the M2P back unopened and now awaiting the A2S. I'm not a pro, just looking to upgrade from Mini2, so hopefully I won't be disappointed!
for my use, the smaller size of the A2S vs the M2P is a nice plus.

There is definitely an issue with distortion compared to the Air 2 and not in a good way
That sounds unlikely.
Can you post an example original full-sized image showing this?

Also the lens should have much more depth of field that you'd ever need.

must confess that i had just ordered a M2P and then the Air2S was confirmed. I sent the M2P back unopened and now awaiting the A2S. I'm not a pro, just looking to upgrade from Mini2, so hopefully I won't be disappointed!
for my use, the smaller size of the A2S vs the M2P is a nice plus.
Sounds like a good decision and $700 less with flymore kit and $50 less per battery.

Is there variable focus on the 2s? I thought it was just the larger sensor with fixed aperture and fixed focus?

Clearly the pincushion distortion is an obnoxious and a real issue for aerial scenery videography. Fixing it in post is not an issue. However the 22mm ends up a lot closer to the 28mm of the M2P.

To me that's an advantage over my 28 in the 2pro considering the 400' altitude restriction.There is some correctable distortion in the 2pro.Wonder how much distortion in in the 2s.

There is a significant amount of distortion showing up
In 10-bit video on the Air 2S. It is opposite of the M2 Pro. The A2S suffers a case of pincushion distortion. That I am afraid is really bad for scenery videography. It makes one nauseas watching.

Easy to fix! But it is there.

Reactions: TudorCapitanu
There is a significant amount of distortion showing up
In 10-bit video on the Air 2S. It is opposite of the M2 Pro. The A2S suffers a case of pincushion distortion. That I am afraid is really bad for scenery videography. It makes one nauseas watching.

Easy to fix! But it is there.
Hi. How you fix that pincushion distortion?

Hi. How you fix that pincushion distortion?
I did correct my initial statement about "distortion". The A2S image is fully corrected for wide-angle to produce straight horizon and edges. That is where the problem lies. If you create a video that scans scenery while panning you will get a rather nasty "edge stretching" effect which is given the very wide angle not surprising. Now, if you video ocean horizon or some close-up architectural stuff, the A2S does that well without any corrections.

Panning across some arbitrary scenery - that's a different story. The Pro 2 with a uncorrected barrel distortion does that very well. It loos good without correction (except if happen to video the situations mentions above).

So the answer here is to ADD back in some barrel distortion to eliminate the "edge-stretch-effect". To fully compensate for that if you use Davinci Resolve is to add 0.12 towards barrel in the lens correction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000