DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S (4K) vs. Mavic Air 2 (4K)

airbuspilot

Reactions
Can you digitally zoom at 5.4K in the DJI Fly App?

Background:

I fly in broad daylight.

Is the 4K video I record on the Air 2S the exact same resolution as the 4K video I record on the Mavic Air 2?

Does the 1" sensor of the Air 2S make any difference in recording higher resolution 4K video than the Mavic Air 2?

Update:
I read that 4K zoom to 2X is just fine, since the 5.4K sensor is double the resolution. So you still maintain a true 4K image even cropped 2X.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laborous
Video at 4k 60 or video at 4k 30 will be the same resolution (it is why they call it 4k). The lens, noise quality, sensitivity are different. The Air 2 has a zoom mode - look up the specs for accurate differences. 2x digital zoom reduces resolution by four. Each pixel becomes four pixels. The Air 2 has a bifurcated 12MP/48MP sensor - no clue if DJI uses its capability to zoom video. Again, check the spec sheets. The Air 2 S has a simpler 20MP sensor with larger pixels (more light capture), and higher video capture at what they call 5.4k. Technically, it can be cropped to 4k without image quality loss.

ps: 5.4k is NOT two times 4k ... it's basically 5472×3078 vs 3840x2160.

Video at 4k 60 or video at 4k 30 will be the same resolution (it is why they call it 4k). The lens, noise quality, sensitivity are different. The Air 2 has a zoom mode - look up the specs for accurate differences. 2x digital zoom reduces resolution by four. Each pixel becomes four pixels. The Air 2 has a bifurcated 12MP/48MP sensor - no clue if DJI uses its capability to zoom video. Again, check the spec sheets. The Air 2 S has a simpler 20MP sensor with larger pixels (more light capture), and higher video capture at what they call 5.4k. Technically, it can be cropped to 4k without image quality loss.

ps: 5.4k is NOT two times 4k ... it's basically 5472×3078 vs 3840x2160.
5.4K has twice as many pixels as 4K, correct?

5.4K has twice as many pixels as 4K, correct?
Roughly twice as many, but that doesn't mean you can do a 2x zoom without loss. A 2x zoom from 5.4k gives you 1/4th the pixels, and 1/4 5.4k is not as good as 4k, but better than 1/4th 4k.

I didn’t know 2x zoom is 1/4 of the pixels, but I think my example proves you’re correct:

2x2 screen = 4 pixels
2x zoom makes it 4x4 = 16 pixels

Correct?

Just the opposite. When you zoom in on a 10x10 images by 2x, your final image is built from 5x5 pixels. You only see 25 of the original 100 pixels.

And by 2x, I mean make a car look twice as large in frame; or the same as going from a 50mm lens to a 100mm lens -- 40 degree field or angle of view vs 20 degree fov.

Just the opposite. When you zoom in on a 10x10 images by 2x, your final image is built from 5x5 pixels. You only see 25 of the original 100 pixels.

And by 2x, I mean make a car look twice as large in frame; or the same as going from a 50mm lens to a 100mm lens -- 40 degree field or angle of view vs 20 degree fov.
That makes sense.

So does having a 1” sensor make the 4K video any higher resolution than the 1/2” sensor?

I purchased the Air 2S for the ability to zoom more.
4K can now do 4x zoom instead of 2x zoom.
But 5.4K doesn’t have any zoom.

DJI Fly App on my iPad Pro doesn’t allow me to export the 5.4K file to iOS Photos to pinch to zoom.

Any ideas as to an app to view and pinch to zoom 5.4K video?

A 1" sensor has larger pixels - the cells of the sensor that collect light. So each pixel collect more light during the same exposure time. This means the image has a better chance of better lower light images, less image and color noise, etc. You will get more resolution because you can video at 5.4k with the Air2S and only 4k with the Air2.

But the larger sensor size brings other benefits. Lots of discussions out in Google land that explain the benefits of larger sensors (larger pixels or photon bins). A 1/2" sensor with 4000 pixels across, each pixel is a tiny 0.5"/4000=0.0000125"; a 1" sensor with 4000 pixels is 1.0"/4000=0.000025" -- four times the area to catch light -- usually four times better noise performance.

With the Air2S having a 20MP sensor, and the Air2 only 12MP, the noise difference is smaller than my example, but the Air2S is still better for image quality (at least on paper). In bright settings, you may never see the difference; but at dusk and night - it should be noticeable.

You two have just easily explained in a few paragraphs what I’ve been struggling with after googling this same subject without understanding the results. I have an MA2 and wanted to upgrade to the 2s but wasn’t certain there’s any advantage other than the same batteries. With your help I’ve made up my mind! Thanks, this is why I love this forum!

I sold my Mavic Air 2 for $850.
I bought a brand new Air 2S Fly More Combo for $1,125.
I recommend the upgrade!
You two have just easily explained in a few paragraphs what I’ve been struggling with after googling this same subject without understanding the results. I have an MA2 and wanted to upgrade to the 2s but wasn’t certain there’s any advantage other than the same batteries. With your help I’ve made up my mind! Thanks, this is why I love this forum!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I upgraded from the MA2 to MA2S last week and sadly I’m regretting it.

The MA2 has DCinelike which is easy to colour grade. You basically just apply a LUT and you’re done.

In contrast, the MA2S has DLog-M which is very difficult to colour grade. You apply a LUT and the colours just look like garbage.

DJI really needs to add the DCinelike color option to the MA2S. That would gives intermediate flyers like myself a colour profile that has high dynamic range AND is easy to colour grade.

Reactions: Storyline
I upgraded from the MA2 to MA2S last week and sadly I’m regretting it.

The MA2 has DCinelike which is easy to colour grade. You basically just apply a LUT and you’re done.

In contrast, the MA2S has DLog-M which is very difficult to colour grade. You apply a LUT and the colours just look like garbage.

DJI really needs to add the DCinelike color option to the MA2S. That would gives intermediate flyers like myself a colour profile that has high dynamic range AND is easy to colour grade.
Can you please send me the LUT you use to color grade the Mavic Air 2 D-Cinelike footage?

Yes, this would be worth archiving or pinning for people to review principles of sensor imaging.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent