DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Attitude Zone 0m , firmware update v.02.04.16.90

Mark Anthony

Reactions
Hello All,

This is my first post and first of all I would like to give a great big thanks to everyone who offers insight too this forum! I look forward to reading this forum each week more than I did as a boy scout waiting each month for "Boys Life" Mag. There have been countless times I have read issues and concerns in the post that have kept me and my drones safe. Many knowledgeable folks with experiences and expertise that make reading this forum a pleasure.

I have 3 drones, Spark, Mavic Air and now Air 2s! All have been wonderful to fly, and I am so amazed at the technology of these off the shelf flying cameras (Toys of Joy). So here is my concern and question.

After doing firmware update v.02.04.16.90 (5/12/21) for my Air 2s I started getting "Attitude Zone 0m" on my display all the time. I am aware that Atti mode has to do with the number of satellites (GPS) I'm receiving before take off. However my homepoint was being recorded, and I was showing plenty of satellites (>13). Before doing this update I would get the "Take off permitted" and once flying the drone would say "in flight" in the status bar with green bars on the top of the phone. Now all I receive is "Attitude Zone 0m".
with yellow bars. Here are a few step I took to try and fix the issue:
  • Re-calibrate IMU and Compass
  • Uninstall and reinstall DJI Fly app
  • Change to several different locations to fly
  • Performed updates to the latest firmware
I contacted DJI support for assistance and after explaining my situation they instructed me to send the drone in for evaluation. After creating a case number and sending in my Air 2s, I was considerable impress with the format DJI provides for returning the drone and keeping track of it through each step of the process (considering all the BAD press I had read and heard about DJI customer service!). DJI posted a couple of pictures of the display on the website, and I was informed by Tech support that my visions sensors (code 180047)
would need to be replaced. I also received an email from DJI stating; "Dear Customer, Your device is within the normal tolerances and shows neither safety nor quality issues. If the problem occurs again, please contact our support for further assistance." The statement in the email and what the Tech told me over the phone seemed very conflicting!

After 14 days I received the drone back. There was no paperwork in the box explaining what re-work if any had taken place. After starting the drone up I had the same issue. There had been no change, same situation "Attitude Zone 0m". I am now in round two with DJI and have created a new case and returned the drone. Yes, and now dealing with DJI case/tech support has been a complete nightmare!.

Has anyone had this issue with there Air 2s?, am I doing something incorrect?. My biggest concern is when I first got the drone it was not doing this, and I do not want to take off and fly unless everything seems correct before doing so. I don't want to be that guy with the sad story about a fly away drone because I failed to take proper precaution before flying! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum .

Yes it seems to be a bug , and something that i have seen on my Posted Long Distance videos , It has not affected the flight characteristics and I have been testing and pushing the limits.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2S in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: projectarjun
3 days ago i also bought the 2s ...updated the firmware and i have the issue on the top of the screen .

Got an answer today by DJI

We are so sorry about issue about altitude zone .
Our technicians have confirmed the problem and it is caused by a firmware bug. We will fix it as soon as possible. This problem will be fixed in the next firmware upgrade or later.
If you are experiencing this problem, the functions of the aircraft will still work fine, except for the Mastershots function.

I contacted DJI support for assistance and after explaining my situation they instructed me to send the drone in for evaluation.
Typical...
The statement in the email and what the Tech told me over the phone seemed very conflicting!
Typical....
There was no paperwork in the box explaining what re-work if any had taken place. After starting the drone up I had the same issue. There had been no change, same situation "Attitude Zone 0m".
Aaaaand Typical

Not sending my drone in for 'evaluation', unless it the absolutely last resort and I'm certain they can/will actually fix it.

And your problem is just another reason I don't do firmware updates.

Sorry for your situation, Good Luck

Reactions: Mark Anthony
I have a new Air 2S , updated firmware now I have the same problem. Any idea what we can do about this issue? I'am afraid to fly because the Air 2S is new and so am I.
. This has caused me more grief than pleasure.
Regards Oman
PS I used firmware. V.02.04.20.60

Last edited:
I have a new Air 2S , updated firmware now I have the same problem. Any idea what we can do about this issue? I'am afraid to fly because the Air 2S is new and so am I.
. This has caused me more grief than pleasure.
Regards Oman
PS I used firmware. V.02.04.20.60
Until there is an update there is nothing you can do , but learn how fly around it,

There is no law that has been set that you need to know the numbers , as there are so many more important factors , line of sight being # 1 flying in a legal air space # 2

I have a couple hundred flights now with the Air 2S and that O Alt has not effected any of them thus far.

You will find that with all the drone companies updates on the software come with Compromises.
some times buttons get moved around, Compass arrows are gone. in this Case the 0 Alt bug.

Everything that is critical to enjoy your drone is intact . its never going to be perfect , one day that sun is going to hit so hard that your eyes will be blind , your screen dark, and you will find your self in a panic but with practice you will be fine without any of it.

Just remember the RTH button , so you can push it with your eyes closed,
Sometime i will use that button several times in a flight for quick orientation of the drone ,dont be afraid of it, dont be afraid to abuse it and to master it nuances .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: Mark Anthony
Oman,
Not sure you are getting
"Attitude Zone 0m" or "Altitude 395 ft." After sending back my Air 2s
in for a second evaluation and sending them several very descriptive emails regarding the poor customer
service and blatant mis-information I received (it was a real nightmare) they sent me a new Air 2s.
However, with the new update V.02.04.20.60 all the Air 2s are seeing the "Altitude 395 ft." I believe
it has to do with the ceiling space between ground level and the maximum altitude you can legally
fly. Someone on the form may be able to give a more in-depth explanation.

If you view any current U-tube videos you will see the Altitude message on there display.
Only older videos of Air 2s will show the "in-Flight" status. I did notice if I go to an area that
is completely more wide open I will get the "in-Flight status bar. Waiting to go to Kauai in
Oct. and see what message I receive on the display.

As Phantomrain said above: It has not affected the flight characteristics and I have been testing and pushing the limits.
My new Air 2s have been working fine. I definitely understand how you feel, since doing the update you are seeing something completely different. Keep flying, stay in your VLOS until you feel comfortable enough to know it's not effecting anything.
DJI only has four (4) service center in all of the US, so if you do start dealing with DJI make sure to keep all your records
and emails very clear. Good luck

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Until there is an update there is nothing you can do , but learn how fly around it,

There is no law that has been set that you need to know the numbers , as there are so many more important factors , line of sight being # 1 flying in a legal air space # 2

I have a couple hundred flights now with the Air 2S and that O Alt has not effected any of them thus far.

You will find that with all the drone companies updates on the software come with Compromises.
some times buttons get moved around, Compass arrows are gone. in this Case the 0 Alt bug.

Everything that is critical to enjoy your drone is intact . its never going to be perfect , one day that sun is going to hit so hard that your eyes will be blind , your screen dark, and you will find your self in a panic but with practice you will be fine without any of it.

Sometime i will use that button several times in a flight for quick orientation of the drone ,dont be afraid of it, dont be afraid to abuse it and to master it nuances .

Phantomrain.org
Right On Phatomrain!! its never going to be perfect

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Phantomrain.org
Hello Thank you for your reply, so I won't get TAKE OFF PERMITTED or IN FLIGHT anymore just ALTITUDE OM ? Until they fix the bug.. If you hear anything pertaining to this please let, also does your Master Shots work. Let
me know. There are a great bunch of people on this forum I am glad I am a member.
Regards Oman

Last edited:
Oman,
Not sure you are getting
"Attitude Zone 0m" or "Altitude 395 ft." After sending back my Air 2s
in for a second evaluation and sending them several very descriptive emails regarding the poor customer
service and blatant mis-information I received (it was a real nightmare) they sent me a new Air 2s.
However, with the new update V.02.04.20.60 all the Air 2s are seeing the "Altitude 395 ft." I believe
it has to do with the ceiling space between ground level and the maximum altitude you can legally
fly. Someone on the form may be able to give a more in-depth explanation.

If you view any current U-tube videos you will see the Altitude message on there display.
Only older videos of Air 2s will show the "in-Flight" status. I did notice if I go to an area that
is completely more wide open I will get the "in-Flight status bar. Waiting to go to Kauai in
Oct. and see what message I receive on the display.

As Phantomrain said above: It has not affected the flight characteristics and I have been testing and pushing the limits.
My new Air 2s have been working fine. I definitely understand how you feel, since doing the update you are seeing something completely different. Keep flying, stay in your VLOS until you feel comfortable enough to know it's not effecting anything.
DJI only has four (4) service center in all of the US, so if you do start dealing with DJI make sure to keep all your records
and emails very clear. Good luck
That's exactly what I have now ALTITUDE 395, also I have. Thin orange line at the very top and bottom of the screen.? Thank you very much Oman
PS Have great time in Kauai, Go to a restaurant called ROY'S
REGARDS

That's exactly what I have now ALTITUDE 395, also I have. Thin orange line at the very top and bottom of the screen.? Thank you very much Oman
PS Have great time in Kauai, Go to a restaurant called ROY'S
REGARDS
Oman,
The ALTITUDE 395 is fine... You don't have a concern. You should receive the "Take off permitted".
Just be patience. The drone is still trying to receive GPS signals, that why your getting those orange
lines at the top and bottom of the screen. You are in the Atti-mode. Pay attention to your screen the
take off permitted will disappear once is receives enough GPS signals, and then you will see the ALTITUDE
Once you see this you can touch on the screen right in the area where it says "ALTITUDE 395" and it will open
up a box that tells you what type of air space you are in. If there are no warning about the zone you are
in, or restricted air space... Then fly on! #1 VLOS, #2 legal air space... Read your manual (go online) about
the atti-mode... It will give you a clear feeling. What you are seeing is perfectly fine. Also try in a new
location. Your in MA. go out into the open country somewhere and I bet you will get both, "Take off
permitted
," and the "in-flight status". Watch U-tube videos, notice what other are seeing on their
screens.

Thanks for the tip ~ gosh, we have enjoyed so many wonderful places to eat in Kauai ~ Truly blessed

Oman,
The ALTITUDE 395 is fine... You don't have a concern. You should receive the "Take off permitted".
Just be patience. The drone is still trying to receive GPS signals, that why your getting those orange
lines at the top and bottom of the screen. You are in the Atti-mode. Pay attention to your screen the
take off permitted will disappear once is receives enough GPS signals, and then you will see the ALTITUDE
Once you see this you can touch on the screen right in the area where it says "ALTITUDE 395" and it will open
up a box that tells you what type of air space you are in. If there are no warning about the zone you are
in, or restricted air space... Then fly on! #1 VLOS, #2 legal air space... Read your manual (go online) about
the atti-mode... It will give you a clear feeling. What you are seeing is perfectly fine. Also try in a new
location. Your in MA. go out into the open country somewhere and I bet you will get both, "Take off
permitted
," and the "in-flight status". Watch U-tube videos, notice what other are seeing on their
screens.

Thanks for the tip ~ gosh, we have enjoyed so many wonderful places to eat in Kauai ~ Truly blessed
You are one of the reasons I come to this forum. Keep in touch. Regards Doug aka oman

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS